U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 02:53 PM

92 posts, read 108,196 times

Advertisements

I've never been in Boston but I've seen a lot of videos about the city and its surroundings, it looks a lot different from the rest of the US. It has a lot of nice architecture, decent public transportation and it seems like a very cultural city, also pretty safe.

It has a lot of history and it's built in a circle or semi circle shape, like most of big European cities.

I would like to know if Europeans think Boston has some kind of a European vibe. What do you guys think?

I would totally move to Europe but right now it's impossible (maybe in 10 years ), but for now I am thinking of moving to Boston, since it's the most similar to Europe ? also it is close to Montreal and New York.

For Europeans, do you think Boston is the most European city in America? I know it's still an American city and for some people it's impossible to compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 03:13 PM

9,370 posts, read 8,085,573 times
A very small part of central Boston resembles a typical European city, not the entire city.

Most of Boston looks like this

https://goo.gl/maps/cEJKH

are you sure you want to move to Boston? Be prepare for this

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam...-super-169.jpg

Last edited by Rozenn; 06-28-2015 at 05:56 AM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 06-26-2015, 03:27 PM

21,220 posts, read 18,520,378 times
^^ looks like fun! Beats this:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...77_634x393.jpg

Besides, that was the snowiest winter on record. Boston can get a lot or very little depending on the year.

Last edited by Rozenn; 06-28-2015 at 05:56 AM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 06-26-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
A very small part of central Boston resembles a typical European city, not the entire city.

Most of Boston looks like this

https://goo.gl/maps/cEJKH

are you sure you want to move to Boston? Be prepare for this

I know the winters are hard there, but the good thing is it's only the winter, I'm not totally sure yet, but I can't think of another American city that has the advantages or vibe of a European city.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
^^ looks like fun! Beats this:

Besides, that was the snowiest winter on record. Boston can get a lot or very little depending on the year.
Where is this exactly?

Old 06-26-2015, 03:33 PM

7,933 posts, read 4,547,751 times
Only downtown looks "European" and only the appearance, not the functioning. The outer neighborhoods look fully American.

I would say Boston "looks" the closest, and NYC "functions" the closest. But really, neither city feels European.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:37 PM

21,220 posts, read 18,520,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJX3000 View Post
Where is this exactly?
Somewhere in England.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:29 PM

11,328 posts, read 13,084,288 times
Smaller American cities are more like smaller European cities than huge American cities are like huge European cities.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:55 PM

6,176 posts, read 10,458,940 times
I'd say Boston is the most European city of all US cities. At least the central core of it is. Take a walk along the waterfront near the North End. Or thru the Common and Public Gardens, Back Bay. You most definitely get the feel you were in Europe. All the transit options as in Europe. When you leave Boston and get into the towns that make up the Metro which is huge. You will see similarities to English and Irish towns. As well as most of them are named after English towns and cities. After all the area is called New England.

Another city that has a somewhat similarity to a smaller European city is Portland, Oregon. Again only in the central core. Smaller compact walkable central core, with European style Rail and street cars all over the city. Plus a cable car like the ones you see in Switzerland, that goes from the River front up into the hills above Portland to the Medical Center.

Sadly most US cities have no similarity to European cities, they are designed for car ownership. Don't get me started on that one.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I'd say Boston is the most European city of all US cities. At least the central core of it is. Take a walk along the waterfront near the North End. Or thru the Common and Public Gardens, Back Bay. You most definitely get the feel you were in Europe. All the transit options as in Europe. When you leave Boston and get into the towns that make up the Metro which is huge. You will see similarities to English and Irish towns. As well as most of them are named after English towns and cities. After all the area is called New England.

Another city that has a somewhat similarity to a smaller European city is Portland, Oregon. Again only in the central core. Smaller compact walkable central core, with European style Rail and street cars all over the city. Plus a cable car like the ones you see in Switzerland, that goes from the River front up into the hills above Portland to the Medical Center.

Sadly most US cities have no similarity to European cities, they are designed for car ownership. Don't get me started on that one.
Yeah, I think Portland is the number 2, and it would be my second choice, but it rains a lot and it seems a little far from any big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World