Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has better natural scenery, California or Italy?
California 147 54.44%
Italy 123 45.56%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 11:24 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,683,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
California has, perhaps, the world's most beautiful coastline. The rise from the sea to the coast range creates dramatic landscapes both in the north and the south. There is no Italian counterpart to California's vast old-growth forests. Similarly, California's wildflowers and waterfalls are unmatched by Italian counterparts.

Yosemite, Kings Canyon/Sequioa, Death Valley, Lake Tahoe, the Mojave, Joshua Tree, and Mt. Shasta are justifiably world famous. Lassen Volcanic area, Big Sur, Pinnacles, Los Padres, Big Bear, Mono Lake, Modoc, and Klamath Nat'l Forest are as beautiful if less well known.

The Farallones are an incredible migration point for marine animals.

California contains the world's tallest trees, the world's most massive trees, and the world's oldest living organisms.

California is one of the most beautiful stretches of geography joined by a political border.
Problem is that Italy is a lot smaller than California and with 20M more inhabitants... So strictly talking about 'nature' it's hard for Italy. Because a lot of places are more urbanized.
Yet Italian mountains and their variety are far superior to those in Cali. Whitney peak is far from being the massive Monte Bianco . Cervino is more impressive than the Half Dome and the Amalfi coast is a pure jewel...with comfy water (temperature of water in Cali is a big issue lol...)
Overall, when you spend only few weeks in both, Italy wins.
There are plenty of national parks with endemic species in both cali and Italy.
If you live in California and travel to Italy, you ll probably know jewels of California much better and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 12:34 PM

957 posts, read 1,132,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
Problem is that Italy is a lot smaller than California and with 20M more inhabitants... So strictly talking about 'nature' it's hard for Italy. Because a lot of places are more urbanized.
Yet Italian mountains and their variety are far superior to those in Cali. Whitney peak is far from being the massive Monte Bianco . Cervino is more impressive than the Half Dome and the Amalfi coast is a pure jewel...with comfy water (temperature of water in Cali is a big issue lol...)
Overall, when you spend only few weeks in both, Italy wins.
There are plenty of national parks with endemic species in both cali and Italy.
If you live in California and travel to Italy, you ll probably know jewels of California much better and vice versa.
I agree, sometimes I wish we had less population but on the other hand I also see the more unspoiled nature of California as a problem
for example I can't get why Sierra Nevada are so uninhabitaed , no highways passin through, no airports, no hamlets or towns...
Colorado is doin a way better job in developing tourism, economy on its mountains

Quote:
California has, perhaps, the world's most beautiful coastline.
very disputable comment, I don't find Ca coastline that special let alone "the most beautiful in the world"
imho Chile, Cascadia, New Zealand and Italy itself have nicer coastlines
Italy wins over California on this, we have more diverse shoreline

this is Riviera dei Cedri, in Upper Western Calabria

Old 08-26-2017, 01:16 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Quote:
California has, perhaps, the world's most beautiful coastline. The rise from the sea to the coast range creates dramatic landscapes both in the north and the south. There is no Italian counterpart to California's vast old-growth forests. Similarly, California's wildflowers and waterfalls are unmatched by Italian counterparts.

Yosemite, Kings Canyon/Sequioa, Death Valley, Lake Tahoe, the Mojave, Joshua Tree, and Mt. Shasta are justifiably world famous. Lassen Volcanic area, Big Sur, Pinnacles, Los Padres, Big Bear, Mono Lake, Modoc, and Klamath Nat'l Forest are as beautiful if less well known.

The Farallones are an incredible migration point for marine animals.

California contains the world's tallest trees, the world's most massive trees, and the world's oldest living organisms.

California is one of the most beautiful stretches of geography joined by a political border.
I like California and have driven the coast a few times...but best in the world? Glad you love it so much, but there are many, many other coasts around the world that would give it a run for it's money.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:25 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,683,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
I agree, sometimes I wish we had less population but on the other hand I also see the more unspoiled nature of California as a problem
for example I can't get why Sierra Nevada are so uninhabitaed , no highways passin through, no airports, no hamlets or towns...
Colorado is doin a way better job in developing tourism, economy on its mountains

very disputable comment, I don't find Ca coastline that special let alone "the most beautiful in the world"
imho Chile, Cascadia, New Zealand and Italy itself have nicer coastlines
Italy wins over California on this, we have more diverse shoreline

this is Riviera dei Cedri, in Upper Western Calabria
Oula the post treatment of this pic' hurts my eyes a little bit!

But yes, I saw the Cali coast and while it's very beautiful, it's certainly not the prettiest ! Thinking about the famous Amalfi one, it's more colorful, water is far better (hotter, crystal like) and roads are amazing. In september/october without tourists, it must be amazing

Old 08-27-2017, 01:13 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,714,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I like California and have driven the coast a few times...but best in the world? Glad you love it so much, but there are many, many other coasts around the world that would give it a run for it's money.
People who say that usually haven't travelled much. The California coast line can be beaten by many elsewhere if we only talk about beauty.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:59 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,284,169 times
It is true that Italy is very crowded.

As for the Italian coastline, I don't know, it's pretty but rarely practical. In many places you need a parachute to go to the beach

Old 08-27-2017, 03:30 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,661,058 times
Quote:
No, please no.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:23 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,378,687 times
I lived in Los Angeles and travelled to Italy a lot during my childhood. The only thing Cali has the Italy doesn't is desert. Both have beautiful lakes, Italy has Garda, Como. Cali has Tahoe, Mono...Mountains, Italy has more diversity in my opinion with the Alps, Dolomites and Apennines. As for beaches, Italy blows Cali our of the water.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:14 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times
Quote:
Sounds like you are not at all familiar with the Sierras. First of all, they are entirely too steep for roads to run their length. US395 does run along the eastern edge and interstate 80 traverses it near Lake Tahoe. The weather in the Sierras can make travel impossible in winter. The Sierras contain the snowiest spot in North America. Last winter, 13 feet of snow fell in 5 days! At Lassen Volcanic park they just reopened a road a few weeks ago! The snowfall in the Rockies is never as severe as it is in the Sierras. Nonetheless, few people actually live in the actual Rockies either. Mostly the foothills save maybe Boulder. Half of Colorado is high plains and even desert.

The Sierras can be very inhospitable. The Donner party traveled across the US. Made it through the Rockies. They died in the Sierras.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:31 AM

957 posts, read 1,132,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I lived in Los Angeles and travelled to Italy a lot during my childhood. The only thing Cali has the Italy doesn't is desert. Both have beautiful lakes, Italy has Garda, Como. Cali has Tahoe, Mono...Mountains, Italy has more diversity in my opinion with the Alps, Dolomites and Apennines. As for beaches, Italy blows Cali our of the water.
Things I'd bring here from California are the sequoia forests, the Half Dome, a huge lake like Tahoe, San Francisco peninsula+bay and the imposing Shasta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Sounds like you are not at all familiar with the Sierras. First of all, they are entirely too steep for roads to run their length. US395 does run along the eastern edge and interstate 80 traverses it near Lake Tahoe. The weather in the Sierras can make travel impossible in winter. The Sierras contain the snowiest spot in North America. Last winter, 13 feet of snow fell in 5 days! At Lassen Volcanic park they just reopened a road a few weeks ago! The snowfall in the Rockies is never as severe as it is in the Sierras. Nonetheless, few people actually live in the actual Rockies either. Mostly the foothills save maybe Boulder. Half of Colorado is high plains and even desert.

The Sierras can be very inhospitable. The Donner party traveled across the US. Made it through the Rockies. They died in the Sierras.
it's a shame nonetheless the place is so underdeveloped, much more people could enjoy it.

p.s. in comparison with the Sierras the Rocky Mountains of Colorado are overpopulated...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World