U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which has better natural scenery, California or Italy?
California 105 55.85%
Italy 83 44.15%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-03-2015, 09:32 AM
 
506 posts, read 268,650 times
Reputation: 1602

Advertisements

Here's California:
https://feetfromshore.files.wordpres...pg?w=640&h=426
https://res.cloudinary.com/roadtripp...m4xj4jnkhe.jpg


https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...bde84699bf.jpg

https://miloredmondhrp.files.wordpre...alifornia1.jpg


http://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/enh...4698635-16.jpg

http://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/enh...4699062-26.jpg


http://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/enh...74699239-7.jpg




http://www.laidget.com/images/full/2...-Wallpaper.jpg

And yes I love LA.

Last edited by Rozenn; 07-08-2015 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: Copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-03-2015, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Mid Atlantic USA
11,507 posts, read 8,144,606 times
Reputation: 4869
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
Here's California:





















And yes I love LA.


And all those beaches you posted look nice, but forget about getting in that frigid water. Italy on the other hand has way more gorgeous beaches with much warmer water and a great food culture to go along with it. And CA along the coast even in Southern CA is not very warm in summer. Upper 70'sF (24-27C) is not ideal summer weather for beaches compared to Italy.

Yeah, CA has some nice scenery strewn about, but your coast just can't compare to Italy for both beauty and recreational use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2015, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Mid Atlantic USA
11,507 posts, read 8,144,606 times
Reputation: 4869
And where does CA get water temperatures in the upper 70's every summer lol? No where is the answer. CA beaches are way way overrated. And the water isn't clear either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2015, 09:48 AM
 
Location: near Turin (Italy)
1,358 posts, read 697,592 times
Reputation: 2136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
a single mature Redwood tree toppling over would stretch from one side of Italy to the other
A bigger tree is not necessary better than a little one (but I agree that it could seem kinda impressive...)

Talking about strange trees, we have the millennial olive trees in Apulia (not joking, they are 2000-3000 years old)
https://www.google.it/search?q=L%E2%...XQHKnXr6XJM%3A
Apulia, and souther Italy in general, have really a lot of olive trees which are at least a couple of centuries old. Right now all those trees are in serious danger because of a new exotic bacterium, which is destroying a lot of those trees, causing serious troubles in the olive oil production (which is an important economic activity in those areas) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylell...e_tree_decline

Talking about trees in gardens and parks, in Italy there are several old trees called "monumental trees".
Some of them are really recognizable, such as this oak near Lucca (Tuscany), that is called "withes' oak"
https://www.google.it/search?q=QUERC...ed=0CAgQ_AUoAg
This tree is relatively young, just 6 centuries. It is also called "Pinocchio's tree" because someone says that this is the oak that is named in the Pinocchio original novel.

The tallest trees in Italy are those ones, the "giganti della Sila" in Calabria. The highest of them are more or less 45m tall, which means more or less an half of your highest Redwood trees.
https://www.google.it/search?q=I+Gig...6nCSxrxiS_M%3A

In general, we have broadleaf woods in the inner parts of the country (which become conifer woods at higher altitudes), and the Mediterranean scrub along the coastlines and in southern Italy.

Anyway, in Italy there are not many untouched forests left. Apparently the most of them were cut for the first time in the roman empire period, and lately they also undergo continuous "human interference".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2015, 09:52 AM
 
506 posts, read 268,650 times
Reputation: 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
And all those beaches you posted look nice, but forget about getting in that frigid water. Italy on the other hand has way more gorgeous beaches with much warmer water and a great food culture to go along with it. And CA along the coast even in Southern CA is not very warm in summer. Upper 70'sF (24-27C) is not ideal summer weather for beaches compared to Italy.

Yeah, CA has some nice scenery strewn about, but your coast just can't compare to Italy for both beauty and recreational use.
Agreed, I don't swim very often in CA although San Diego is actually pretty nice in the summer (still not tropical, but better than LA and north). However, the topic is scenery (i.e. stuff you look at) not ideal water temperature. Food is also not typically part of "natural scenery". Italy is great, but CA is no slouch either when it comes to environmental diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2015, 01:53 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
15,818 posts, read 19,516,868 times
Reputation: 8034
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
And where does CA get water temperatures in the upper 70's every summer lol? No where is the answer. CA beaches are way way overrated. And the water isn't clear either.
Thread title subject: Natural Beauty
Response: water temperatures=FAIL! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2015, 01:55 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
15,818 posts, read 19,516,868 times
Reputation: 8034
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
Agreed, I don't swim very often in CA although San Diego is actually pretty nice in the summer (still not tropical, but better than LA and north). However, the topic is scenery (i.e. stuff you look at) not ideal water temperature. Food is also not typically part of "natural scenery". Italy is great, but CA is no slouch either when it comes to environmental diversity.
^^^Exactly! Looks like they're reaching really hard now LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2015, 03:09 PM
 
1,753 posts, read 905,903 times
Reputation: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
And all those beaches you posted look nice, but forget about getting in that frigid water. Italy on the other hand has way more gorgeous beaches with much warmer water and a great food culture to go along with it. And CA along the coast even in Southern CA is not very warm in summer. Upper 70'sF (24-27C) is not ideal summer weather for beaches compared to Italy.

Yeah, CA has some nice scenery strewn about, but your coast just can't compare to Italy for both beauty and recreational use.
How exactly is food or water temperature related to natural scenery? How would you respond if someone said that Italy had worse natural scenery than California because California has better waves for surfing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2015, 03:27 PM
 
3,752 posts, read 2,995,637 times
Reputation: 3443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
California has areas more beautiful and much uglier. Yosemite is one of the special places on the planet, Tahoe is gorgeous but at least half of California is ugly. All of Italy is scenic.
I agree. This can be said about the Western US in general. About 30 percent of the Western states are absolutely gorgeous mountains, forests, and badlands - the remaining 70 percent is barren desert, scrubland, short-grass prairies, farmland and sprawling cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2015, 04:25 PM
 
1,753 posts, read 905,903 times
Reputation: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I agree. This can be said about the Western US in general. About 30 percent of the Western states are absolutely gorgeous mountains, forests, and badlands - the remaining 70 percent is barren desert, scrubland, short-grass prairies, farmland and sprawling cities.
The Western US has vastly less sprawling population than Europe does. It isn't even close.



http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/dow...PopDensity.pdf



http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/dow...PopDensity.pdf

The population density of California is 95 people/sq km. The population density of Italy is 202 people/sq km.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top