Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has better natural scenery, California or Italy?
California 147 54.44%
Italy 123 45.56%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 11:39 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
The Redwoods are gorgeous. My stepmother's brother owns a home there and it is like living in a magical forest, I was in shock when I stepped out onto his deck.

I have traveled all over CA, and the more I explore, the more I appreciate its beauty. Even though I have seen many beautiful places in many countries (including the Black Forest in Germany, Swiss Alps, etc...), Yosemite is still one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen IMO.
When I first moved to Southern California, I was bewildered when anyone would ask if "I had been to the Redwoods". In the Bay Area, Redwoods grow everywhere. They are part of landscaping as well as in natural locations. For me it was like being asked if I had been to the grass LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
California is less dense but that doesn't mean that its cities aren't more sprawling. American cities usually take way more space than European cities. For example the Naples Metropolitan Area (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naples_metropolitan_area) has 1,4 million more people than the San Diego Metropolitan Area (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Di...ty,_California) in 1/4th of the space.

Italy is denser only because there are many small towns and villages all over the country whereas California has large areas where there's literally nothing for miles
^^^This is the key as this poll and thread and about natural, not man made beauty.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
Beautiful place!

Anyway, I'm not so good with North America geography and history, but that peninsula is part of Mexico, am I right?
Does the "mexican part of California" count in this poll?
It

shouldn't. Otherwise, we might as well include the French and Austrian Alps with Italy

Old 07-11-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
US metropolitan areas follow county lines.
Not sure what you mean by this but the metro areas vary with county lines considerably. New York City proper is in five counties, then there's the surrounding metro area. San Francisco is it's own city and county and the urban area you are referring to includes 9 counties. Baltimore is an independent city, not in any county and it's urban area includes adjacent areas of other states.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:52 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,442,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
It

shouldn't. Otherwise, we might as well include the French and Austrian Alps with Italy
And the Swiss Alps too. Also on that border there are some beautiful mountains (for example the Cervino, which is half Swiss and half Italian.)

https://www.google.it/search?q=monte...ih=452&dpr=1.5

Old 07-11-2015, 12:58 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Not sure what you mean by this but the metro areas vary with county lines considerably. New York City proper is in five counties, then there's the surrounding metro area. San Francisco is it's own city and county and the urban area you are referring to includes 9 counties. Baltimore is an independent city, not in any county and it's urban area includes adjacent areas of other states.
I'm referring to metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs), whose limits are defined by county lines rather than development. So the area could include lots of uninhabited land.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'm referring to metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs), whose limits are defined by county lines rather than development. So the area could include lots of uninhabited land.
Then you're comparing apples to oranges because I don't think Italy uses such a system.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:37 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Then you're comparing apples to oranges because I don't think Italy uses such a system.
I was pointing that as why not to use metropolitan areas to make a comparison.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:07 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,956 times
Both are beautiful and share similar landscapes and climates but Italy doesn't have anything similar to the Mojave, Death Vally, the north coast, or the redwood/sequoia areas so I'd go with California.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:56 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,814,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
I disagree, the Po Valley has a lot of attractive natural areas and nice rural landscapes, which frame beautiful towns, historic villas, castles. There is much more than just the Venice lagoon and the Po Delta.
This is a common and annoying stereotype among many Italians, often associated to the fact it's foggy and grey, which is definetely not true.
Sprawl around cities, towns and main highways is ugly but this is valid for every part of Italy, many parts of central and southern regions are even worse despite their reputation for enchanting views.
The "historic" landscapes are all beautiful, the sprawl areas are ugly and unattractive everywhere.
It's also a question of personal preferences, living in Italy's second largest plain, i'm already used to that kind of landscape and i find it hard to get excited about it. With all the beautiful landscapes we have in Italy, the Po Valley is one of the last things that should come to mind, i have noticed you are talking about villas, castles and villages and there are plenty of them (Cavour, Racconigi, Riviera del Brenta are the first that come to mind), but the purpose of this thread is to debate about natural beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
To give the idea of what "many small towns and villages all over the country" means, I've found that Italy has 8,047 comuni = municipalities, with an average population of 7,345 people. The 70.5% of our "comuni" have less than 5,000 inhabitants, the 6.3% has an higher population than 20,000, and just 141 cities have more than 50,000 inhabitants. (from https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comune_(Italia)#Statistiche , freely translated by me )

For example my region, which is one of the regions with the higher "town fragmentation", has 1,206 towns, each one with is recognizable center. As a consequence, here the distance between two town is usually very short. For example my "village" (with less than 1000 inhabitants I can't call it town...) has 4 neighbor towns/villages, and the distance between our town centers are less than 5 Km. In practice we could move from a village to the other by foot (but we don't, we are too lazy )
Yeah and it's a shame that many of these villages are shrinking, many are going to become ghost towns as people keeps heading to the big cities where it's easier to find work. Apulia has a lower town fragmentation but the closest town to me is still only 6 kilometers away, if it was a more attractive place, i'd go more often even on foot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World