Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has better natural scenery, California or Italy?
California 147 54.85%
Italy 121 45.15%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 05:47 PM

3,289 posts, read 3,763,822 times

Advertisements

Its funny to see how nationalistic and possessive people get about nature.

No wonder Native Americans think 'civilized cultures' are so misguided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 05:52 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,226,495 times
mountains- California
glaciers- California
caves- Italy
forests- California
lakes- Italy, then again Tahoe and lake Mono are really beautiful
rivers- Tie
beaches- Tie
marine grottoes- Italy
islands and archipelagos- California
volcanoes- Italy
deserts- California
canyons- California
falls- California
Biodiversity-California
diversity per square mile/km- California

Old 08-07-2015, 06:17 PM

22,219 posts, read 21,484,935 times
California just has weeny glaciers compared to Italy. It's not going to win that one.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:47 PM

957 posts, read 1,124,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
islands and archipelagos- California

o c'mon, try to learn somethin about you rival, at least I looked for some information about volcanoes in Californa before giving any judge

You managed to win even Iaskwhy, that's amazing
Italy wins easily about islands both in terms of quantity and quality

these are worse than Channel Islands??

and I put only the small archipelagos, not Sardinia nor Sicily

Old 08-07-2015, 07:30 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,226,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post

o c'mon, try to learn somethin about you rival, at least I looked for some information about volcanoes in Californa before giving any judge

You managed to win even Iaskwhy, that's amazing
Italy wins easily about islands both in terms of quantity and quality
I have actually spent quite a bit of time on Italy's islands, Sicily, Capri, and the Aeolian Islands. Very cool places but remember the contest is about who has the best natural scenery. While the Channel Islands are much smaller then Italy's Islands, they are entirely uninhibited parks. Many of the species of plants and animals on the channel islands are endemic not only California but just the Channel Islands. Not to mention that the Channel Islands are part of one of the richest marine ecosystems in the world.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:55 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,254,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
Fauna can be an interesting topic, because it is probably quite different
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fauna_of_Italy

Talking about bears, the situation is a little complicated.
In Italy there are two different sub-species of brown bear. One is called "Marsican Brown Bear", and lives in the Apennines forests of central Italy. They ricked seriously the extinction, but recent protection projects allowed a little increasing in their population. Their number seems to change according to the source I'm looking to, but it seems to be comprehended between 30 and 50 exemplars.
Then there are other brown bears, the same ones you can find in the rest of Europe, also in central and eastern Alps. In eastern Alps you can see the bears that arrive from Slovenia (in that country there are still a lot of bears), while in central Alps (trentino) some bears were recently reintroduced. In Trentino last year there were something like 40-50 new bears. In Easter Alps there are other 5-15 bears, who arrived from Slovenia.
So they are still really few, but with the recent measures used for increasing their number seem to work.

The wolf population instead is much larger. The sub-specie of grey wolf present in Italy is called "italian wolf". Their number was really little in the 70s, but the government decided to declared them as a "protected specie", and so their number increased a lot. Now there are more or less 1500 exemplars concentrated on the Apennines and western Alps (according to wikipedia https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canis_...us#Popolazione ). In recent years some wolves have been seen also here at my place.
Subspecies are irrelevant at the specific level. They are both still Ursus arctos and Canus Lupus so both Italy and California share these two species.

If we want to talk about unique wildlife, looking at endemics at the species level would be a better comparison.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I was not sure about how intense the activity of volcanoes in California is, so I looked at the wikipedia pages. I found that the ones you named are still active, but that they didn't erupt in the last decades.
Etna and Stromboli are not so impressive on their own, but because the eruptive activity is really frequent (nearly continuous).
In fact Stromboli normally has a continuous eruption, with some episodes of higher intensity that usually occur every few years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stromboli
Etna has a slightly less continuous activity, but again there is some kind of activity nearly every year, and often eruptions continues for months if not years https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Etna
Those volcanoes are both among the most active in the world.
Mount Vesuvius doesn't have continuous eruptions, and it is a positive thing because now its activity is mainly explosive. It is also considered one of the most dangerous volcanoes worldwide, because it is really near to the city of Naples and other neighbor towns, that in case of eruption risk to have the same destiny as Pompeii. The last real eruption occurred in 1944, but secondary activities are nearly always visible https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Vesuvius
Secondary volcanic activity is also present in the adjacent area of the Phlegraean Fields https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phlegraean_Fields
I tend to agree with you here. California's volcanoes look more impressive but Italy's are far more dynamic overall and are considered more dangerous. This is due not just to more people living near them but the eruptions are also far more destructive. The most dangerous volcanoes in the US are farther north in Washington, not in California.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:45 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,431,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Subspecies are irrelevant at the specific level. They are both still Ursus arctos and Canus Lupus so both Italy and California share these two species.

If we want to talk about unique wildlife, looking at endemics at the species level would be a better comparison.
I concentrated on wolves and bears just because they were named a lot of times in the previous posts. And I used the name of the sub-species because we usually call them with those names.
I didn't write about unique wildlife because sincerely I don't know in detail which species are present in California, but I agree that it would be an interesting topic.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I concentrated on wolves and bears just because they were named a lot of times in the previous posts. And I used the name of the sub-species because we usually call them with those names.
I didn't write about unique wildlife because sincerely I don't know in detail which species are present in California, but I agree that it would be an interesting topic.
Understood. California, because it's largely isolated by an ocean, mountain ranges and deserts, contains a lot of species (and yes subspecies of wider ranging species) unique to the state. Pine tress are found in many regions of the world but CA has the most species, many are endemic.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:23 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,032,881 times
For pristine, wild scenery as well as natural scenic diversity California unquestionably.

For architecture and populated/urban landscape that blends and fits well with the physical landscape - Italy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World