U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more vibrant between them?
NYC 49 45.37%
London 59 54.63%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 01:02 PM

515 posts, read 394,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Look better the youtube video, the map anymation of Oyster is only about the tube and rail stations. It is clearly written.

I did not say that the peak of daytime density in Camden and Southwark/Lambeth was not Central, I said that there were plenty of people outside the centre in those areas during the daytime.
The rest of Camden and Southwark/Lambeth... are not empty during the day.
I think if we take Camden as an example, it has a resident population of circa 225,000, sees a significant transit exodus (likely centrally) at the start of working hours, so your margin of error is going to be small either way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 01:07 PM

532 posts, read 520,743 times
Quote:
Look better the youtube video, the map anymation of Oyster is only about the tube and rail stations. It is clearly written.

I did not say that the peak of daytime density in Camden and Southwark/Lambeth was not Central, I said that there were plenty of people outside the centre in those areas during the daytime.
The rest of Camden and Southwark/Lambeth... are not empty during the day.
Oh the rest of Camden definitely isn't empty, but proportionate to the centripetal population flux, it is really not that much. The difference is stark.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:21 PM
SE9

219 posts, read 290,259 times
Walking perspective at Times Square environs:

Walking perspective at the West End:

Old 07-02-2015, 01:29 PM

Comparing Regent Street to Times Square is like comparing a young Liv Tyler with Rosie O'Donnell.

Edit: Oh I see you've changed the video to a general west end one.

Last edited by Noggin of Rum; 07-02-2015 at 01:54 PM..

Old 07-02-2015, 01:31 PM

12,472 posts, read 11,506,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Points of Convergence View Post
Unlike your friend, I'm staying right in the core of London and this is my impression thus far:

Very similar in terms of vibrancy, but less 24 hours. There still many crowds after 2 am but fewer things are open.
Busier than NYC on weekends. Slightly less busy over weekdays.
At a guess - a bigger proportion of tourists to natives compared to NY though it's difficult to say.
Things feel more spacious with more pedestrian spaces so people are less crushed together into cramped crowds.
About half the city looks like it's under construction. New mid-rises and high rises going up literally everywhere. A lot of the streets being torn up and renovated.
Mediocre street food (I've yet to try the rated restaurants though).
Clean - clean, clean, clean, clean, clean, clean ... (Very big difference).
Smells about a thousand times better.
Pretty as heck - Much of the architecture is white stone and much more detailed than most of the buildings in NYC.
Stupidly expensive.
Many white British and Europeans. Fewer people of color compared to NYC.
Less congestion, more orderly with better public transport.
Grander - in the sweeping European historic styles mixed with modern buildings. Anyone who says that London feels like a village is an idiot, sorry.

Taken altogether, London is a very different creature to New York. It reminds me a bit of those visions of the future we had on TV as kids where everything is clean, modern and orderly but you also have that inimitable British feel in some places too.

Well said. Is it just me but I don't really think NYC is all that. Other than Broadway, I really have no interest in the place. Just a very urban, lots of rundown areas, trash strewn about and as said above not nearly as scenic as London. Just doesn't have the cache of London. NYC is kind of a dump in comparison.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:48 PM

10,276 posts, read 8,357,594 times
Camden isn't particularly busy except on the high streets near transit stations. Weird example for vibrancy.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:52 PM

1,293 posts, read 2,304,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
Oh the rest of Camden definitely isn't empty, but proportionate to the centripetal population flux, it is really not that much. The difference is stark.
Yes the large majority of the people in Camden are in the centre during the day, I have never claimed the opposite but you should not underestimate the people who are outside the centre.
Even if this is a minority, this is still a lot of people (more than a hundred thousand of people in my opinion).
Note that Camden is one of the Borough with the highest share of its territories inside Central London (outside the City of London and Westminster), you will find an even larger part of the workday population outside the centre in Islington, Hackney, Southwark and Lambeth.
You will find that there is more than a million people still in the peripheral areas of these Boroughs during the workday.
Children, people without jobs, people working in shops, people working in public services and many other kind of people.

To conclude in no way you can say that Central London has a population equal to that of Manhattan during the workday.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:54 PM

21,821 posts, read 10,123,228 times
I thought the vibrant parts of the NYC were more vibrant than the vibrant parts of London. I also thought that the quiet parts of London were quieter than the quiet parts of NYC.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Yes the large majority of the people in Camden are in the centre during the day, I have never claimed the opposite but you should not underestimate the people who are outside the centre.
Even if this is a minority, this is still a lot of people (more than a hundred thousand of people in my opinion).
Note that Camden is one of the Borough with the highest share of its territories inside Central London (outside the City of London and Westminster), you will find an even larger part of the workday population outside the centre in Islington, Hackney, Southwark and Lambeth.
You will find that there is more than a million people still in the peripheral areas of these Boroughs during the workday.
Children, people without jobs, people working in shops, people working in public services and many other kind of people.

To conclude in no way you can say that Central London has a population equal to that of Manhattan during the workday.
There are some nodes of activity, but 100,000 in the periphery during the day is probably stretching it.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:57 PM

9,447 posts, read 5,034,694 times
I love London, but New York, not so much. I guess old bookstores and antiques are just vibrant to me! Love London's theatres and plazas too. Food, not so vibrant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World