Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more vibrant between them?
NYC 65 48.51%
London 69 51.49%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 11:57 AM

401 posts, read 649,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
I understand this, but I personally have a hard time equating noise and chaos with vibrancy. I think it's to London's merit that it can accommodate similar crowd volumes, activities, events, concerts, outdoor markets, performances etc. to Manhattan, yet be orderly and civil at the same time. London is qualitatively distinct from New York, and both London and New York are quantitatively distinct from Paris.
Hmm yes and no, some people like the craziness and disorder. Some of the most boring cities are the most clean and orderly (think Singapore), while the most crazy are the most exciting (NYC, Bangkok, ..), so order doesn't equal quality.
BTW I'm not sure London has more crowds than Paris, Paris is just more homogeneous inside its city limits with interesting areas everywhere so people spread out in the entire city + certain suburbs, whereas in London there is a stark contrast between the West End and the rest (in terms of vibrancy and crowds). Basically London has a much smaller center than Paris, and even NYC.
The West End is roughly the size of one Parisian arrondissement, and Paris has 20 of them. Half of the arrondissents have touristic attractions.
1st: Louvre, Chatelet, Les Halles, Rue de Rivoli
4th : Le Marais, Hotel de Ville, Notre Dame
5th: Saint Michel, Quartier Latin
6th: Jardin du Luxembourg, Saint Germain des près
7th: Eiffel Tower
8th: Champs Elisées, Arc de Triomphe, Madeleine, Elisée palace, rue st Honoré
9th: Opera Garnier, Boulevard Haussmann
11th: Bastille
16th: Trocadero
18th: Pigalles, Montmartres, Sacré Coeur

Blvd Haussmann

Le Marais

Quartier Latin

And Parisians avoid many of these areas

Last edited by ryever; 07-03-2015 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 12:26 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
Hmm yes and no, some people like the craziness and disorder. Some of the most boring cities are the most clean and orderly (think Singapore), while the most crazy are the most exciting (NYC, Bangkok, ..), so order doesn't equal quality.
And many would regard it to be annoying and pointless.

I think the reason why some regard Singapore to be dull is not orderliness and cleanliness, but in part to do with the cityscape and in part to do with culture. Indeed, London is a testament to the idea that you can have a vibrant and exciting urban environment without everyone behaving like idiots.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:31 PM

514 posts, read 470,801 times
Quote:

I think the reason why some regard Singapore to be dull is not orderliness and cleanliness, but in part to do with the cityscape and in part to do with culture. Indeed, London is a testament to the idea that you can have a vibrant and exciting urban environment without everyone behaving like idiots.
Typically anyone with a mental age over 5.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:27 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,916,253 times
Obviously NYC, i can't understand why is London winning the poll. Using the universal criteria of continuous building area (as Demographia studies do), NY has at least twice the population of London, and logically is more crowded and therefore more vibrant than London. Also NY seems a more 24/7 city.

Quote:

Cleanliness is good, but extreme cleanliness has the opposite efect IMO. Extreme cleanliness makes a city more soulless and dystopian, and less vibrant. Tokyo is the finest example of this. And Barcelona's Sagrada Familia is the perfect example of why cleanliness but fakeness isn't necessarily better than rawness but historic flavour, since it has both in the same building.

Last edited by marlaver; 07-03-2015 at 10:43 PM..

Old 07-03-2015, 11:00 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,022,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
Cleanliness is good, but extreme cleanliness has the opposite efect IMO. Extreme cleanliness makes a city more soulless and dystopian, and less vibrant. Tokyo is the finest example of this.
Re your comment as regards to Tokyo, 'Tokyo is the finest example of this' - really? only a fool or someone who doesn't know the city (perhaps you're thinking of somewhere else) would suggest that Japan's capital is soulless or lacks vibrancy.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:58 PM

514 posts, read 470,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
Obviously NYC, i can't understand why is London winning the poll. Using the universal criteria of continuous building area (as Demographia studies do), NY has at least twice the population of London, and logically is more crowded and therefore more vibrant than London. Also NY seems a more 24/7 city.
It shows that there is more to people's idea of vibrancy than just cramming lots of people into a small area, or comparing non-dynamic metrics over whole city areas without considering the nuances of distribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Re your comment as regards to Tokyo, 'Tokyo is the finest example of this' - really? only a fool or someone who doesn't know the city (perhaps you're thinking of somewhere else) would suggest that Japan's capital is soulless or lacks vibrancy.
Some types of people just aren't happy unless they are surrounded by filth and decay. It's a mindset I've never understood or sympathized with.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:07 AM

225 posts, read 216,349 times
Tokyo being "soulless" and "dystopian" because it's too clean? What on earth?

Old 07-04-2015, 01:33 AM

2 posts, read 4,809 times
If you ask me, I would say both cities are vibrant in their own way. I have been to NYC and LOVED it. Never been to London but whatever information I managed to gather are given below.

London
:
  • Less dense
  • More international as a city - 40% of London is foreign-born (NYC: 36%)
  • It is easy to travel from London cheaply
  • Milder weather
  • European-style vacation days, health care and workers' rights.

New York:
  • More dense, particularly in Manhattan.
  • Public transport is cheap and fast, and subway runs 24/7
  • Food is better and superior client-centric service standards in restaurants and bars
  • Lower taxes
  • Everything is open late; bar closing hours never on your mind
  • Cheaper services like taxis, deliveries, laundry services make day-to-day life more convenient

Old 07-04-2015, 01:02 PM

969 posts, read 825,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not the Maginot Line View Post

Does anyone know the name of the music that starts at the 4 minute mark in the top video?
The Beginning of the End by WG Walden.

Beautiful piece of music.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:52 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,950,547 times
London for its historic buildings/sights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World