Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 08:25 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,248,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by transientsalmon View Post
I appreciate all the info. Yea, I'm trying to actively refuse to hold a job...and they're getting on my case, and I have to prove some reason why I can't have a job, and I'm going to try and prove a reason without citing a mental or physical disability...it's going to be the greatest manifesto I've ever written, and if it fails I might actually just give up entirely and live off the grid
My God, you again? Forgot all about you. Still trying find a way to legally be lazy?
Man, if you'd put all that effort into a real job you could actually make some money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 08:51 AM

23,934 posts, read 10,282,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientsalmon View Post
I appreciate all the info. Yea, I'm trying to actively refuse to hold a job...and they're getting on my case, and I have to prove some reason why I can't have a job, and I'm going to try and prove a reason without citing a mental or physical disability...it's going to be the greatest manifesto I've ever written, and if it fails I might actually just give up entirely and live off the grid
I have news for you

My grandmother was a very intelligent and resourceful women. This was her mantra - "nothing is free even death costs a life".

Old 07-18-2015, 02:58 PM

149 posts, read 205,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
Good luck with that.

I'm assuming that you have recently applied for American Social Security benefits and have been denied. Are you appealing their ruling? (For several years I was a social worker and I used to help people apply for Social Security. I used to determine eligibility for Medicaid in a Midwest state.)

To qualify for an American Social Security you must be either elderly (65 years or older) or certified medically disabled (if you are under 65). They also require that you work and pay Social Security withholding taxes in the U.S. for a minimum of 10 years before you will qualify. The size of your monthly check is also determined by the amount of taxes you have paid into the system over your lifetime. The more taxes you pay, the bigger your check will be.

Your reason above "being well adjusted to a competitive society is not a measure of health" is not a medical disability. Social Security will still deny your claim.

The American Social Security system does not pretend to be as comprehensive as the European systems, and it never will be like the European systems anytime soon. (In fact, most Americans are proud of the fact that our system doesn't mirror the European systems.) We have a very rigid capitalist mindset in America: Everyone is expected to work in some capacity.
yea I don't know what will happen to me in this life... I may not be able to survive the culture. That's what I'm trying to x plain in my letter/manifesto/small novel/novella...um hopefully there are some work arounds and nothing is totally set in stone, and everything could fall into place and I can survive the culture... if not, then it's....it's....well if it does come down to that at least I could finally get that round of golf with socrates, and we'll check if dostoevsky is up for a round... something tells me dosteovsky probably wouldn't really be into golf... but then again he might have finished all his travails while still on planet time, so he might be the most perfect candidate, totally resigned to the pleasures of the afterlife...

Old 07-19-2015, 05:45 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,250,648 times
After 15 years of working for local government, in addition to several other jobs over the years, in the US I got very sick and, though I tried for 4 more years, I finally had to accept I couldn't work anymore. Getting Social Security disability for me, after brain surgery and a diagnosis with a chronic, degenerative neurological disease required a lawyer and I had to pay him $6,000 (out of the money they gave me upon approval). I tried on my own and got denied. I suspect they look for specific sorts of answers and I was not in very good condition to be thorough. The process took two years.

My pension (separate from disability and related to my government job) was granted immediately although it was conditional upon getting approved for Social Security. This, plus savings, was how I lived until the Social Security disability was approved.

I had worked since I was sixteen and full time after graduating from college for almost 20 years so I paid in a considerable amount of money. The money I get now is just slightly less than I got working.

A good friend of mine suffered an injury with similar results when he was 18. He gets about half of what I get though I think he could qualify for food and rent assistance (he chooses not to) and his medical care is paid for 100%.

So my point would be, in the US if you have a history of work and have paid in, the "security net" isn't bad at all though you have to put in some significant effort to get it. That weeds out the lazy I suppose. I'm happy with the level of benefits I get and happy my government is helping me out when I need it.

On the other hand, if you don't have a history of work, even if it's through no fault of your own, you will get the bare minimum.

Perhaps, Mr. Transient, you might qualify for a disability based on some sort of psych evaluation but you won't get approved based on a treatise you write yourself about how society sucks.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:14 PM

149 posts, read 205,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
On the other hand, if you don't have a history of work, even if it's through no fault of your own, you will get the bare minimum.

Perhaps, Mr. Transient, you might qualify for a disability based on some sort of psych evaluation but you won't get approved based on a treatise you write yourself about how society sucks.
Thanks for the info...I do hope you are wrong, but alas you are probably right. The thing is...I'm not applying for SSD...I'm going straight for the bare minimum with SSI. All I need is the bare minimum...so I think that opens up the chances because SSI is just code for welfare. And welfare is meant for those who are unemployable, and poor and it has less of a connexion to disabilities...thats why I think there is some room for a workaround. It's also for people who are at risk for homelessness I think, or who are already homeless.

I don't know but I'm giving this a solid shot, and I explained to the coordinator that I did not have any medical evidence, and he gave me the impression that I could still do this. I don't know...I might have a shot. I'm not holding out hope for sure...but I'm letting them know in the letter that homelessness is a real probability if I can't get some support...that or a round of golf with f scott fitzgerald
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World