Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 01:24 PM

836 posts, read 1,255,308 times

Advertisements

I notice that in certain countries there are lots of places named after particular explorers from the Age of Exploration. For example, in the United States and in Latin America (though not Brazil as much), there are a lot of places named after Christopher Columbus - either directly or through the personification of the United States named Columbia. In Australia and New Zealand, similarly, there are places named after James Cook. In some parts of Canada, some places are named after John Cabot. In southernmost Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego, many places are named after Magellan. Also, in South Africa and in Brazil (and in Goa, India), there are some places named after Vasco da Gama.

I have a couple of questions related to all of that:

1) Why is Columbus not revered as much in Canada (which is a Western Hemisphere country) as in both the US and Latin America? Because Cabot is revered more instead?

2) Is the degree of reverence to each explorer equal in each of the places mentioned (e.g. da Gama in Brazil or South Africa, or Cook in Australia/New Zealand, vs. Columbus in the US and Spanish America)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 02:17 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,498,273 times
I can't really think of any place named for James Cook In Australia other than Cooktown, a small town in the far North of QLD and James Cook university in Townsville. He did however name a heap of landmarks after other people or events on his voyage up the east coast.

Possibly the best known place in Australia named for an explorer is actually named after dutchman - Tasmania.

Old 07-26-2015, 02:25 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,664,616 times
Cook is common in NZ, as is Tasman -I spent my first few years in a delightful little burg called Tasman.

Old 07-26-2015, 02:29 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot there's Abel Tasman for Australia and New Zealand, even more than Cook.

As for Cook, though, there is the Cook Strait separating the North and South Islands of New Zealand, as well as the Cook Islands (a New Zealand dependency in the Pacific).

Old 07-26-2015, 04:22 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,557,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
1) Why is Columbus not revered as much in Canada (which is a Western Hemisphere country) as in..the US
Yofie, I think it has to do with Washington Irving's 19th Century biography of Columbus. Irving (an American author, native New Yorker) helped elevate Columbus' stature with his popular (& hagiographic) account of Columbus' life. In some respects, Columbus had fallen into obscurity over the interceding centuries. Irving helped tell Columbus' story to an American audience that then embraced Columbus as essentially a national hero. I don't think Canada produced a similar, game-changing, legend-building biography on Columbus (?)

With the rise of cultural-Marxism in America (within the broader context of a self-hating Western World), Columbus is now being diminished..

If someone has more to add, or correct, about the role of Irving's biography, please share. I'm a Columbus buff. /peace

Old 07-26-2015, 05:53 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,470,754 times
I've met Christopher Columbus.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:56 PM

150 posts, read 165,035 times
I'm Brazilian and there are a few things named after Vasco da Gama here but I think this name "Vasco da Gama" is nowadays much more related to the football(soccer) team than to the Portuguese person. A good example is myself. I just found out there had been an important person named Vasco da Gama when I was 12 or 13 studying history at school. Until that, to me(and to most Brazilians, I think) Vasco da Gama was only a football team. It's funny and kind of ridiculous but it's true.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:27 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,110,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I can't really think of any place named for James Cook In Australia other than Cooktown, a small town in the far North of QLD and James Cook university in Townsville. He did however name a heap of landmarks after other people or events on his voyage up the east coast.

Possibly the best known place in Australia named for an explorer is actually named after dutchman - Tasmania.
The only other thing I can think of is the Cooks river, in NSW

Old 07-26-2015, 09:25 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Well, for Canada, Columbus didn't come anywhere near where Canada is, and also Spain (that he was exploring for) had very little impact on the colonization of Canada.

That said we do have a province named British Columbia. There are streets named Columbus in many Canadian cities including a rather large one called Avenue Christophe-Colomb in Montreal.

But yeah, in French Canada stuff named for French explorers Jacques Cartier and Samuel de Champlain is much more common.

And in Atlantic Canada you see John Cabot's name here and there.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, for Canada, Columbus didn't come anywhere near where Canada is, and also Spain (that he was exploring for) had very little impact on the colonization of Canada.

That said we do have a province named British Columbia. There are streets named Columbus in many Canadian cities including a rather large one called Avenue Christophe-Colomb in Montreal.

But yeah, in French Canada stuff named for French explorers Jacques Cartier and Samuel de Champlain is much more common.

And in Atlantic Canada you see John Cabot's name here and there.
British Columbia was named after the Columbia River, which in turn was named after an American ship that explored that area.

Christophe-Colomb Ave. in Montreal is a side street - a pretty long street, but still just a side street.

I actually did forget about Cartier and especially Champlain for Quebec as well as nearby areas in Ontario, New Brunswick, and the United States. I'm also thinking a little bit about Henry Hudson after whom the river in lower New York state plus a major bay in northern Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World