Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 11:59 AM

3,979 posts, read 6,788,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
But that being said, one has to keep in mind that both Russia and Ukraine have been industrialized countries already by the beginning of the last century. They industrialized on their own, ( unlike the typical third world countries, that are not capable of such thing.) I.e. along with the "third world countries" features Russia/Ukraine share the features of the first world countries, so they can't be put into the same category as the third world countries by definition.
Do you consider Brazil to be a third world country? By the year 1920, Brazil had lots of factories, most owned by local businessmen. Still, people have been calling Brazil a third world country for many decades.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:01 PM

3,979 posts, read 6,788,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post

If you want an example of a third world country I have one for you -- Brazil. Nowhere in Ukraine will you see the kind of substandard living conditions that you see in favelas all over Brazil. Brazil has a literacy rate of 91.3%; Ukraine 99.7%. I could go on.

Have you ever been inside a favela in Brazil?

You have no idea what is inside a favela in 2015. In some favelas of Rio, there is better offer of products and services for the consumers than in many neighborhoods of Kiev.

Anyway, less than 7% of Brazil's populations live in favelas, according to the most recent data.

And if you don't like the per capita GDP, and prefer to check the HDI (Human Development Index), the HDI of Brazil is 0.744, and the HDI of Ukraine is 0.734

Old 08-14-2015, 12:08 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
Can we just all agree on that these countries are all poor as **** and move on?

Old 08-14-2015, 02:30 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Have you ever been inside a favela in Brazil?

You have no idea what is inside a favela in 2015. In some favelas of Rio, there is better offer of products and services for the consumers than in many neighborhoods of Kiev.

Anyway, less than 7% of Brazil's populations live in favelas, according to the most recent data.

And if you don't like the per capita GDP, and prefer to check the HDI (Human Development Index), the HDI of Brazil is 0.744, and the HDI of Ukraine is 0.734
I went on a tour of Rocinha when I was in Rio in 2010 and while I'll admit it wasn't as bad as I expected I can still say with confidence that almost no one in Ukraine (a country I know quite well) lives like that.

And what does availability of goods have to do anything? There are nowadays fancy shopping malls all over sub-Saharan Africa selling anything your heart desires. Does that mean it's no longer third world?

Old 08-14-2015, 03:07 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
Better indicators if a country is whatever world it is are literacy rate, infant mortality rate, availability of education and drinking water, sanitation and so on.
Lots of faults in your argument. If literacy rate rate counted, Costa Rica would be more first world than the USA. Infant mortality rate is strongly tied to urbanity, with many more infants surviving where they are geographically close to medical facilities, and the best rates in city-states like Monaco, Bermuda and Singapore.. Same goes for availability of education and drinking water. All other thins being equal, countries that have a high urban population have much better rankings on those scales than those that are almost entirely rural.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:32 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,454,447 times
Quote:
Still can not explain why some people think that Namibia is a third world country and Ukraine is not.
May be because Namibia has more than three times bigger homicide rate than Ukraine?!

Quote:
In Namibia they at least don't have a civil war.
Only in Donetsk and Luhansk regions.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:55 AM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max96 View Post
May be because Namibia has more than three times bigger homicide rate than Ukraine?!
The Bahamas, Puerto Rico and Trinidad & Tobago have a homicide rate 12 times larger than Sierra Leone, Tajikistan and Bangladesh.

Would you call the last group of countries more developed/less 3rd world?

Old 08-16-2015, 02:08 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
If Ukraine is not third world, then you can not dare to call Colombia, Peru, or Namibia as "third world countries".

I would say a many South American nations are in better shape than Ukraine. Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Peru and Colombia would all be places I would choose to live way before Ukraine. The term 3rd world is usually used to describe some of the nations of Africa or South Asia that have absolutely terrible conditions or even a totally failed state like Somalia. The Americas best candidate for third world status is Haiti. Most of South America does not qualify IMO for that description nor does anywhere in Europe. However that stupid war in Ukraine is working on putting Ukraine in that position.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:41 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
. The Americas best candidate for third world status is Haiti. Most of South America does not qualify IMO for that description nor does anywhere in Europe.
Your right, but I would say that with the exception of Panama and Costa Rica, Central America is also very third world.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:17 AM

844 posts, read 1,063,603 times
By reading this thread it's clear we need to redefine the world regions. What once was applicable seems totally outdated nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World