Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 07:55 AM

442 posts, read 660,046 times

Advertisements

I meant an American who live in Alaska, Alabama or Idaho do not live much better or worse than an American in NYC.

In developing countries, the differences in income and quality of life among different parts of the same country can be large.

This can lead to regional discrimination. With people in wealthier areas discriminating those from poor areas. Low-income jobs in wealthy cities are mostly done by people from poorer areas in the same country.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:57 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,288,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
I meant an American who live in Alaska, Alabama or Idaho do not live much better or worse than an American in NYC.

In developing countries, the differences in income and quality of life among different parts of the same country can be large.
Ah, I see what you're saying, This is true, to an extent. Obviously NYC or SF are richer than Mississippi or West Virginia, but you're right, there aren't gigantic differences in relative development, as with Moscow compared to outer provinces, or Mexico City compared to Chiapas, or Sao Paulo compared to tribes in the Amazon.

Developed countries like the U.S. and Germany tend to be "about the same" in terms of relative levels of development nationwide (yes there are a few exceptions). If you live in Mississippi, your living standards will be pretty similar to the average living standards in New York or California. Average people in Mississippi have houses, cars, appliances, money for vacations, etc.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:35 PM

26,733 posts, read 22,400,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Given essentially 100% of your posts are Putin propaganda,
That's a figment of your imagination; besides - if i were so enamored with Putin, wouldn't I live in Russia by now?

Quote:
I am honored you disagree with me. If my worldview aligned with yours, I would have very big problems.
Given that essentially 100% of your posts are American propaganda, I don't see how my worldview can be "aligned" with yours either.

Quote:
None of this is true, and none of this has anything to do with economic development in the current day.

Whether or not a country was a colony of another 500 years ago has zero to do with whether or not it is rich or poor today.
You can't be serous - can you? Of course the past has a lot to do with whether the country is rich or poor today; the colonization, the population, accumulation of capital, religion - just to name a few. Of course the past determined the current situation of the majority of the countries today.

Quote:
The U.S. was a colony for centuries,
It was an offshoot of the country of colonizers, with local population been wiped out. It's a totally different situation where the local population has been kept around and became mixed with colonizers as the result of it, or being simply exploited ( depending on colonizers of course.)

Quote:
some poor countries were never colonies, it doesn't mean that the U.S. (or Canada or Australia) aren't first world or that Liberia or Ethiopia or Bhutan or Nepal or Tonga are developed countries.
Well when you will learn to distinguish "colonies" from "colonies," and difference between them as I've explained to you above, the picture will become more clear to you, why some countries are poor and some are rich in connection with their background.

Quote:
Why not, exactly? What does a random past historical fact have to do with current economic development? It has as much to do with current wealth as whether or not a country eats pelmeni or not, (which is to say, none).
Two things; the accumulation of capital and technological advances ( whether the nation is capable of it or not.) It has little to do with pelmeni though)))

Quote:
A country can be colonized for centuries and rich, or never colonized and poor (obviously).
Of course the country can remain poor even without colonization, if it's not advanced in the two factors I've mentioned above. As for "being colonized and rich" - we know very well why this particular category of countries is rich today.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:10 PM

23 posts, read 36,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Not at all, actually I think there's more people taking dumps on the street in NYC than in those of rural parts of AK, AL or ID.

Even though NYC is the weatlhiest, most luxurious, sophisticated and advanced in technology place in America, it still has a lot of poor neighborhoods, ghettos, homelessness, racism, dirt, crime, pollution etc.

I think the nicest part of America is the West Coast (San Diego, Orange County, Santa Barbara, Oakland, San Francisco, Portland, Tacoma, Seattle)

Somehow, cities like Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Camden NJ, NYC, Boston, Cleveland, Detroit, Indianapolis, Chicago, Buffalo, Washington DC, Baltimore, Akron, Newark NJ, Yonkers seem like gray, sad places to me.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Ah, I see what you're saying, This is true, to an extent. Obviously NYC or SF are richer than Mississippi or West Virginia, but you're right, there aren't gigantic differences in relative development, as with Moscow compared to outer provinces, or Mexico City compared to Chiapas, or Sao Paulo compared to tribes in the Amazon.

Developed countries like the U.S. and Germany tend to be "about the same" in terms of relative levels of development nationwide (yes there are a few exceptions). If you live in Mississippi, your living standards will be pretty similar to the average living standards in New York or California. Average people in Mississippi have houses, cars, appliances, money for vacations, etc.
I am not sure what "outer provinces" are you talking about, ( when mentioning Moscow,) but you really shouldn't put the US in the same context as Germany ( and even there the Eastern part has differences with the Western part.)
Of course the US is closer to the third world countries in this respect and of course a "hypothetical" American ( what American? from what income level?) will not have the same "relative level" or whatever you call it.
"Your living standards in Mississippi" vs, say, Minnesota?
They can differ a great deal

https://www.google.com/search?q=pove...in%20tennessee

https://www.google.com/search?q=pove...w=1024&bih=631

https://www.google.com/search?q=pove...IVw-kmCh1MJAMt

Old 11-07-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I
Of course the US is closer to the third world countries in this respect
Yes, of course. The U.S. is truly a third world nation. In fact a fourth world nation, per Putin. You are not following the correct Kremlin script. The U.S. is actually poorer than Central African Republic.

Back to the real world...

Quote:
I
and of course a "hypothetical" American ( what American? from what income level?) will not have the same "relative level" or whatever you call it.
"Your living standards in Mississippi" vs, say, Minnesota?
They can differ a great deal
Median household income in Mississippi is nearly that of Germany. Median household income in Minnesota is above the U.S. average, but not by much. Most of the difference can probably be explained by the fact that Minnesota has far more intact households with two earners, and Mississippi has more single earner, female headed households.

So unless you think there's a huge difference in U.S. and German living standards, this is another ridiculous claim of yours.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Well when you will learn to distinguish "colonies" from "colonies," and difference between them as I've explained to you above, the picture will become more clear to you
This is just an awesome quote. We all need to learn the quite obvious difference between "colonies" and "colonies". Yup, makes perfect sense.

Looks like the Moscow propaganda machine had a temporary malfunction. Did Google translate fail? Ironic in that Google was started by a Russian who fled the country.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:51 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,318,126 times
Quote:
Median household income in Mississippi is nearly that of Germany. Median household income in Minnesota is above the U.S. average, but not by much. Most of the difference can probably be explained by the fact that Minnesota has far more intact households with two earners, and Mississippi has more single earner, female headed households.
Median family income (not quite the same as household income) is $78k/year in Minnesota, $50k/year in Mississippi. So, Minnesotan family income is 55% higher. Median family income that has two earners in Minnesota is $94k/year; Mississippi $72k/year. So, a difference of 31%. So it explains a bit less than half the difference.

The Mississippi-Minnesota (though as you said Minnesota isn't one of the richer states, just a bit above average) difference isn't unusual among developed nations — Germany and Italy both have large regional differences, for example. Income isn't the only reason Mississippi does badly: poor health and education standards, as well as a high poverty rates from inequality make the average living standards for many worse than the median implies.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:31 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,729,200 times
Quote:

So unless you think there's a huge difference in U.S. and German living standards, this is another ridiculous claim of yours.
I think you are now comparing Minnesota's median household income with Germany's per capita income. Because people making this claim always do so.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Yes, of course. The U.S. is truly a third world nation. In fact a fourth world nation, per Putin. You are not following the correct Kremlin script. The U.S. is actually poorer than Central African Republic.
Did I miss something? Did I miss the historical speech of my favorite Duce?
How could I)))

Quote:
Back to the real world...
Yes please.
This is Gini coefficient ranking by the country

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ncome_equality

You tell me now whether the US is more within the lines of the first world countries or third world countries out there.

P.S.
Quote:
You know, long time ago my boss in the US was the owner of the brokerage company; he lived in a gated community in a very wealthy state ( back then.)
But when I was there to meet his family, I was nowhere impressed by his house the way I was impressed by the house of my boy-friend in Germany who lived in some god-damn German village. ( The quality of things, you know)))

So much for "living standards."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.