Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2015, 11:25 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmann View Post
In the truest sense, your posts reveal one of the Canadians who bristle at the thought of being America Lite. Do you really not see this? Always making great claims about Canadian achievements over Americans that usual turn out to be exaggerated. I am just saying that it is how it appears. Just like the comments earlier about Thanksgiving being a Canadian invention, or at least that the Canadians are really the first to do it. Do you really not see the irony in what you are saying?

Look at Canadians who inform everyone "we won the war of 1812". A war that nobody won and most stupidly there was no country called Canada. Only a rural British colony filled with indifferent French-Canadians. But the Britons and the Americans forget that this skirmish even happened. This is the kind of things that make people think Canada has a chip on it's shoulder. When I was younger Canada used to have a better reputation, I guess like some allude it's because we didn't know much about Canada. Today the more I see from Canadians, and I do mean the ones speaking English more than the French ones. It appears like the people are insecure yet also very arrogant compared to their neighbors. You rarely see Americans trying to put down Canada or even inflate a superiority over Canada. I am a business owner and believe me when I say I have regular interaction with Canadians and Americans and it isn't the Americans who go on and on about their greatness. If I had to describe my interactions with Americans in over 35 years of cross the pond business I would call Americans very friendly and polite people. If I had to describe my interactions with Canadians over that 35 + years it would be that they shamelessly promote Canada at every turn and also insult their neighbors.

I will make the dutiful apology to Canadians who don't engage in this behavior but in my extensive experience with North Americans Canadians repeatedly give themselves a increasingly bad name.
Like I said you have issues.

Where in my posts did I post ANYTHING anti-American? According to you, just mentioning an interesting, little known fact about Thanksgiving is an affront to Americans?

I do hope though, that when you read that Ford invented the first automobile, that you keep your mouth shut, unless you get accused of being anti-American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Yeah, definitely way over the top. The poster seems pretty hung up about Canada.
We're used to it. If we mention any " accomplishment " or any " correction " of facts we get labelled as having either an inferiority complex, or an inflated ego as a country.
This guy if you notice in his posts accuses me of both at the same time in regards to the same post.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:32 PM

74 posts, read 73,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmann View Post
In the truest sense, your posts reveal one of the Canadians who bristle at the thought of being America Lite. Do you really not see this? Always making great claims about Canadian achievements over Americans that usual turn out to be exaggerated. I am just saying that it is how it appears. Just like the comments earlier about Thanksgiving being a Canadian invention, or at least that the Canadians are really the first to do it. Do you really not see the irony in what you are saying?

Look at Canadians who inform everyone "we won the war of 1812". A war that nobody won and most stupidly there was no country called Canada. Only a rural British colony filled with indifferent French-Canadians. But the Britons and the Americans forget that this skirmish even happened. This is the kind of things that make people think Canada has a chip on it's shoulder. When I was younger Canada used to have a better reputation, I guess like some allude it's because we didn't know much about Canada. Today the more I see from Canadians, and I do mean the ones speaking English more than the French ones. It appears like the people are insecure yet also very arrogant compared to their neighbors. You rarely see Americans trying to put down Canada or even inflate a superiority over Canada. I am a business owner and believe me when I say I have regular interaction with Canadians and Americans and it isn't the Americans who go on and on about their greatness. If I had to describe my interactions with Americans in over 35 years of cross the pond business I would call Americans very friendly and polite people. If I had to describe my interactions with Canadians over that 35 + years it would be that they shamelessly promote Canada at every turn and also insult their neighbors.

I will make the dutiful apology to Canadians who don't engage in this behavior but in my extensive experience with North Americans Canadians repeatedly give themselves a increasingly bad name.
I agree with most of this. I lived in Montreal and there is a big difference in attitudes because it is such a diverse city, but a consistent feature of the English Canadian population is that they never missed an opportunity to tell you about how great Canada is and why it is better than the USA. For the smallest things too. There was even one guy who bragged to me about having more fresh water than the USA. Why would I care about that? They are so obsessed with the USA that it's not even funny.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbubbles81 View Post
I agree with most of this. I lived in Montreal and there is a big difference in attitudes because it is such a diverse city, but a consistent feature of the English Canadian population is that they never missed an opportunity to tell you about how great Canada is and why it is better than the USA. For the smallest things too. There was even one guy who bragged to me about having more fresh water than the USA. Why would I care about that? They are so obsessed with the USA that it's not even funny.
Obsessed? No. Keeping one eye open on them, yes. LOL

When a country of only 35 million people lives next door to a super power of 300 million, guess which country is going to have a vested interest in what that country is doing and saying?

The amount of misinformation that the world has about Canada is usually based on what they know about the US.
When I travel, and yes even in Europe, the amount of uniformed statements made about Canada usually comes from what they know about the US.

Like the example I gave of the American and German who thought Canada was under US law.
( forgive me for being arrogant and touting how Canada is so great that I must state we have our laws )

Asking what state I live in, i in Canada is another common question. ( I'm going to be proud and arrogant again and mention we don't have states, but provinces. )

So it is just natural that many of us Canadian have to explain ourselves in regards to not being Americans. Not our fault.

As for water. Water is a HUGE issue on the west coast of North America. California has been in drought for years. I don't know the context of your conversation regarding fresh water, but it's a hot political topic here.
It is feared that the US will push Canada into supplying water in arrangements that are not beneficial to Canada.
Is it possible the " bragger " was pointing out this situation?

Old 08-27-2015, 03:22 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

So it is just natural that many of us Canadian have to explain ourselves in regards to not being Americans. Not our fault.
Nat, we don't really have to explain anything, you know. It's not our responsibility to enlighten other people about their own ignorance and lack of initiative. We could just shrug and say "Who? ..... Sorry, don't know who you're talking about. Maybe you should go ask them to explain it."

Quote:

As for water. Water is a HUGE issue on the west coast of North America. California has been in drought for years. I don't know the context of your conversation regarding fresh water, but it's a hot political topic here.
It is feared that the US will push Canada into supplying water in arrangements that are not beneficial to Canada.
Is it possible the " bragger " was pointing out this situation?
It shouldn't be feared. The Canadian government passed water protection laws on the bulk water situation back in 2010. Canada's water is inviolate in trust to Canada and can only be used in Canada by Canadians. Neither USA or any other country can push Canada into supplying them with any amount of water under any circumstances. Make sure you understand that. Not ANY circumstances can prevail. Canadian bulk water cannot be sold, traded, diverted or transported, given away or anything else that anyone can think of to do with it and it's the legal responsibility of all Canadians to adhere to the water laws and protect Canada's water.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Nat, we don't really have to explain anything, you know. It's not our responsibility to enlighten other people about their own ignorance and lack of initiative. We could just shrug and say "Who? ..... Sorry, don't know who you're talking about. Maybe you should go ask them to explain it."

It shouldn't be feared. The Canadian government passed water protection laws on the bulk water situation back in 2010. Canada's water is inviolate in trust to Canada and can only be used in Canada by Canadians. Neither USA or any other country can push Canada into supplying them with any amount of water under any circumstances. Make sure you understand that. Not ANY circumstances can prevail. Canadian bulk water cannot be sold, traded, diverted or transported, given away or anything else that anyone can think of to do with it and it's the legal responsibility of all Canadians to adhere to the water laws and protect Canada's water.

Yes, I should just let it go LOL

Yes, bulk water exports. Bottled water, or containers of a certain sized are allowed. Look at Nestle in B.C. for example. They sell 265 million litres of B.C. fresh water every year.

The bulk water export limit is a good idea...but ...pressure could be mounting the longer the drought in California continues and do you think the US will just sit by and let California die? Do you think Canada would?

This is more of a blog than a news source, but it may reflect a lot of peoples thinking. Deals can be broken and rewritten.

I truly hope I'm wrong.

"As for Canada, on a moral basis, it may not be such a bad idea to send some water south. It would have to be done in a controlled manner. Flooding the Rocky Mountain Trench was a horrible idea, but shipping water to California (or other parts of the US) may not be such a bad idea. Should Canada divert rivers and streams so water can be shipped through a pipeline to California? It could have great rewards in terms of revenue, but its environmental impact would have to be accessed before any such project went ahead. Shipping water is probably the idea that poses the least amount of risk to the environment, although it too isn’t a proposal without risks. Reducing water levels in various lakes could also have disastrous environmental effects in Canada, and would have to be the subject of study before any such project went ahead."

Canadian Water Exports to US are essential to the futureNewsInGeneral

Old 08-27-2015, 04:05 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
About the US- that most people are racist and ignorant.
That all Americans are fat. That there is no culture in the US.

About Mexico- that there are no cars, that people ride around in donkeys with big sombreros. Also myself and 99% of my friends and family being told 'you don't look Mexican' because they do not fit the Hollywood stereotype.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:08 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Probably the stupidest thing I've heard, from the OP no less, was that we lynch Indians. But she didn't ask, she told me so.

Other than that, the usual banter about kangaroos, which of course the correct answer is that we have them as pets, they're a great way to get to school. Just pop your books in the pouch.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:12 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
“Taiwan Hunts for Shrine Bomber”

Lol.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:28 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Yes, bulk water exports. Bottled water, or containers of a certain sized are allowed. Look at Nestle in B.C. for example. They sell 265 million litres of B.C. fresh water every year.

...... do you think the US will just sit by and let California die? Do you think Canada would? .......
265 million litres of water a year is not really a lot of water, when you think about it. It should be noted though that Nestle in B.C. (and there's another water selling company in Labrador or Newfoundland, can't remember which one off the top of my head) was one of the things that prompted the 2010 Water Protection Act to be passed. Partly to nip water profiteers in the bud before it got out of hand with more of them cropping up.

As to the other question - do you think the US will just sit by and let California die? Do you think Canada would? - Yes, I do. Absolutely. If worst comes to worst they'd let it go belly up and the residents would exodus out of there toute suite. It's always been a desert anyway and too many other states have had to make water sacrifices because of California and it's caused a lot of resentment. There's no good reason for Canada to make sacrifices for California too, not even for California's produce. As California fails in produce other locations will start producing more and different kinds of food, including Canada.

California has other options still remaining to them though and the only thing that has been stopping California, and indeed the rest of USA, from resorting to their other options is greedy capitalism, being tight fisted and not spending one dime more than they can get away with. It's not like they don't have the necessary technology and resources. California isn't the only state that has a water problem anyway. The Ogalalla Aquifer is on the way out too, it maybe has another 5 to 10 years to go before it's completely depleted and then that's another 7 or 8 states in the heart of the bread basket states that depend on the Ogalalla will need to create new water resources for themselves. All of the water in all of the Great Lakes couldn't see to the needs in even one year that the Ogalalla has been fulfilling for the past few decades. They've used it all up so they have no option but to create their own new water resources. Not take water from other places. It's not possible to continually borrow from Peter to pay Paul after Peter is long dead, if you know what I mean.

For starters, in a pinch they can get fresh drinking water from Alaska. Alaska is already selling bulk fresh glacial water to China for China's computer industry, sending it in tankers, so why not send it to the lower 48 which is their own nation to save lives instead of China to make computers? It means California and other states will have to pay Alaska for it though. California is a wealthy, industrious state with a huge population that has been too indulgent of themselves in the way they waste their water. They can start restricting their water use and behave like other people.

USA has the technology and manpower and can afford to build desalination plants along all of their coastlines and use that treated water too. They already have hundreds of thousands of miles of pipelines and generator/pumping stations criss crossing the entire nation so a lot of those pipelines can be re-purposed for transporting water.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World