Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 06:24 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,340,840 times

Advertisements

I'm a Texan and it just depends. When it's hot out (most of the year), we grill everything outside i.e. beef, chicken, pork, fish, veggies, etc. The seasonings we use could give our food an Italian, Caribbean, Mexican, Asian, etc flare dependent upon what sounds good. Of course good old American BBQ is a staple in our house. In the winter months (usually mid-November through mid-February) I cook a lot inside but it's usually warm comfort food type stuff i.e. pasta, Mexican dishes, soups/stews, gumbo, chili, etc.

Hubby and I are both big foodies and LOVE to experiment in the kitchens (mostly in the outdoor kitchen but prep in the indoor kitchen). Our spice rack would make Wolfgang Puck jealous. Hubby is from New England (French Canadian) while I'm from Texas (German and American Indian) so we both bring a different spin on the things we cook. But we enjoy ourselves and sharing our concoctions with our friends and family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 06:28 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,340,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
Eating beans with rice with some kind of meat and vegetables almost every day is the typical brazilian meal. And I do it frequently too. It's also commom to trade it for some pasta ocasionally. One day of the week (this day varies from city to city, here in Petrópolis is on fridays) we eat Feijoada, that is bean baked with pieces of pork, with rice, cabbage, farofa and pieces of orange.

There are many others regional dishes. I like those from Bahia, that are versions of african dishes, like Bobó de Camarão.

American snacks like french fries, hamburger and hot dogs are also very commom in Brazil, but we usally adapt them. Our hot dogs are not only bread and sausage, but also have olives , quail egg ,farofa, peas, grated carrot , grated beets , potato chips, and so on...

Something in Brazil that foringners never ate is avocado with sugar.

Here some others brazilian snacks:

Stuff Your Never Ate « Rio For Partiers travel guide to Rio de Janeiro

Coconut water

Sugarcane juice

There are many, many more brazilian food or snack that I like a lot.

That all looks delish. I'll have to do some searches for Brazilian cuisine and give some of those dishes a try.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:31 AM

502 posts, read 654,913 times
btw, since when French fries are American? Just by their name one should know they are actually Belgian! (Flemish)

Old 08-25-2015, 10:13 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikebxl View Post
btw, since when French fries are American? Just by their name one should know they are actually Belgian! (Flemish)
They're not, but are adopted and have a history as to be thought that way. Kind of like Belgians and chocolate.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:24 AM

61,660 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Note that in the OP I qualified that as opposed to cuisines that were introduced after WWII. Because if I didn't say that, I just knew somebody would say Italian "traditional" foods had no pasta before Marco Polo and no tomatoes before Columbus.
How would I know what kind of food was introduced after WWII??

Old 08-25-2015, 10:34 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,442,490 times
The most of the food I eat is from Italian cuisine, because I still live with my parents and they cook in that way.

Anyway we eat in a really different way than my grandparents in the pre-WWII period, in that period it was really difficult to see pasta and impossible to see pizza or ragù here at my place. In that period Italian cuisine was even more regional divided than now.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:38 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
How would I know what kind of food was introduced after WWII??
Do what everyone else does -- Take a wild guess and answer accordingly. This is an informal topic reflecting personal choices and citations will not be called for.. I think you, of all people, have some basic understanding of the cultural origins of foods.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:12 PM

61,660 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Sure I do... but it's not a common knowledge...
You asked very particular question and now want a wild guess?

Old 08-25-2015, 12:26 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,248,523 times
As a child I ate a pretty normal menu for people in the midwestern US: meatloaf, pizza, spaghetti, broiled chicken, we had sandwich night, an occasional steak with potatoes. Pretty unmemorable.

When I moved out on my own I started eating more stir-fry and pasta, because they are easy to make on the stove top.

Now, I am married to a Brazilian, so I eat a lot of rice and beans (with something) and pasta dishes like the previous Brazilian poster said, but we also make burritos and pizza frequently...I also grill different meats and chicken on the grill.

So, traditional foods I grew up with outside of pizza and spaghetti...not often (I still eat lots of sandwiches). I seem to be pretty adaptable with foods.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:36 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
When cooking at home, I would say about 60% West Indian (Jamaican and Trini mostly), 20% Middle Eastern and the rest kind of scattered, including adopted American meals like Americanized Pasta dishes. My daughter is 4 and kind of expects that every meal has rice, beans and plantain of some sort, so that seems to find its way as a side.

When eating out I would say I try to eat as much "New American" inspired farm to table type food along with whatever ethnic food we feel for at the time. So outside of our kitchen its alot more American than within.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World