Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 08:28 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,257,200 times

Advertisements

Typical day

(Maybe this will help identify my cuisine)

Breakfast: Bagels, Bacon and Toast. Occasionally Crunchy nut cereal.
Snacks in between
Lunch: This varies. But it usually Chips/Chicken and Corn, it can also be Fajitas/Enchiladas and Chips
Snacks in between
Dinner: Chicken Kiev, Chips and Vegetables with Parsley Sauce or Gravy. / Spaghetti and Garlic bread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 12:38 AM

934 posts, read 1,127,687 times
What's my culture? I'm white, raised middle class in the 60's and 70's with very unadventurous cooking. If that's my culture....well, I don't know. This week at home for dinner I've had chicken pot pie, ramen noodles with eggs and stir fried veggies, chicken gyros in Nann bread, Hot Dogs, pintos cooked with chiles and chorizo and home made corn tortilla chips. Some cucumbers with yogurt dip. Hamburgers and fries. Homemade chicken tacos with soft corn tortillas, no cheese, just meat and cabbage. Home made Mexican Rice and beans.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:46 AM

934 posts, read 1,127,687 times
Older cookbooks seem to focus on separate dishes. A separate meat dish, veg dish, fruit or salad or carb plate. Things like fried or pan fried chicken or chops. Mashed potatoes. Meat loafs. Hams. Biscuits. Separate vegetables like just peas.. Or just beans. or just Carrots. Nothing exciting. If your back ground is a bit more north or southern european, there could be other things like pastas, schnitzels, spaetzles, sausages, whatever is more representative. I have Irish heritiage but have no Irish traditions or recipes to pull from any family traditions.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:18 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,919,372 times
Well I'm of Russian descent (parents born back in Russia/Ukraine) so naturally 50% of what I eat is Russian/Soviet. Another 20% is American, 15% is East Asian, and 15% is Mexican. Also usually when we cook food from other cultures we add in a bit a Russian twist and vis a versa. Also as a side note "Russian" food is heavily influenced by Ukrainian, Georgian, Tatar, Centeral Asian, and Siberian cuisine. As well as some French and Greek.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:20 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
That's probably the same for any middle to upper middle class person in my region. Poorer people tend to eat hamburgers and sandwiches with fried things and stuff like that way more than anything else.
A sandwich is a "poor man's meal"? I take it you have never been to Manhattan.

Growing up outside Toronto, my parents cooked a wide variety of foods that often varied by the season. We would eat a lot of stir fries, pasta, roasts, stews and heavier slow-cooked meals in winter, and a lot more grilled chicken, chops, steaks, hamburgers and salads in the summer. My wife and I follow a similar diet with the odd curry, homemade pizza and traditional Mexican dish thrown in for variety.

As for how much of our diet was "traditional Canadian", I have yet to figure out what a menu would look like if someone were to open a Canadian restaurant in a foreign country. We certainly didn't eat a lot of KD growing up if that is what you are getting at.

Last edited by Annuvin; 08-30-2015 at 06:29 AM..

Old 08-30-2015, 02:14 PM

35 posts, read 56,716 times
I'm from Indonesia although now I go to school at the states. At Indonesia, my family usually eat Chinese food as we are ethnically Chinese but we eat a lot traditional Palembang (Indonesian) food too like pempek, pindang tulang/pindang ikan, etc or Indonesian food from other regions like rendang, etc. We also always have at least a vegetable dish for lunch and dinner.
And as you guys already know, we eat rice all the time . However many Chinese-Indonesian like me prefer rice porridge to steamed rice for breakfast.
When we go out eat sometimes we still eat Asian food but a lot of time we also would eat 'western' foods like pasta, pizza, etc.

Chinese foods that we usually eat :

Fish with sauce

Fried prawn

Any vegetables

Traditional (native) Indonesian foods :

Pempek (all made from fish.. and it was created by a Chinese Indonesian too but nowadays it's eaten by everyone in Palembang so now it's considered as traditional palembang food lol)

Pindang Ikan

Pindang Tulang (same dish as above but this one is cooked with beef while the other one is cooked with fish)

It may not look so appetizing but trust me, one of the best food ever !!!! (if you can handle spicy foods haha)

Rice porridge or congee for breakfast

Old 08-30-2015, 03:45 PM

26,773 posts, read 22,521,872 times
^
All this looks awesome to me; fish and prawns in particular. If I'd have my wish granted, that's is what I'd be eating every day of my life ( just not cooked by me. May be minus rice pudding. )
The only thing I made "mine" from regular American cuisine is probably a tuna sandwich. It's one of my staples. The rest - definitely ethnic ( be that Chinese or Mexican from time to time, or whatever comes along.)
Only when winter settles in, I go back to Russian cooking - bortsh and cabbage soup - that kind of stuff.
And since winter around here ( where I live) is fairly long, I'd say it's 50/50.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:09 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,789,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanindonesia View Post
I'm from Indonesia although now I go to school at the states. At Indonesia, my family usually eat Chinese food as we are ethnically Chinese but we eat a lot traditional Palembang (Indonesian) food too like pempek, pindang tulang/pindang ikan, etc or Indonesian food from other regions like rendang, etc. We also always have at least a vegetable dish for lunch and dinner.
And as you guys already know, we eat rice all the time . However many Chinese-Indonesian like me prefer rice porridge to steamed rice for breakfast.
When we go out eat sometimes we still eat Asian food but a lot of time we also would eat 'western' foods like pasta, pizza, etc.

Chinese foods that we usually eat :

Fish with sauce

Fried prawn

Any vegetables

Traditional (native) Indonesian foods :

Pempek (all made from fish.. and it was created by a Chinese Indonesian too but nowadays it's eaten by everyone in Palembang so now it's considered as traditional palembang food lol)

Pindang Ikan

Pindang Tulang (same dish as above but this one is cooked with beef while the other one is cooked with fish)

It may not look so appetizing but trust me, one of the best food ever !!!! (if you can handle spicy foods haha)

Rice porridge or congee for breakfast

That all looks good to me! Yum. I've never tried Indonesian food.

I just had caldo de res (Mexican beef soup)- my favorite food in the world.

https://cocinamarie.files.wordpress....04/caldo37.jpg

Old 09-01-2015, 10:13 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,354 times
I live in New Mexico. The Spanish settled here starting in the 1500's whereas the anglos came in the mid 1800's. Mexican or New Mexican food is our native cuisine!

But to answer the specific question, I probably eat "American" food about 60-70% of the time. Then mostly Mexican food and some Chinese, Thai, East Indian, and Italian.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:17 PM

26,871 posts, read 37,997,315 times
I've been thinking about this for a while.

Breakfasts for us are pretty conventional and often involve eggs (a variety of styles) and sausages, bacon, etc. This is kind of British/American I'd say. We also often make Belgian-style waffles or pancakes or crêpes. Here if you ask for crêpes (same word for both) you may either get American-style thick pancakes or French style crêpes bretonnes which are thin. My kids think that people here at home don't "do" American pancakes well, and always like to have them when travelling down there in the US where they say they are better. French-style crêpes here are OK in their view. We also have your basic sliced bread or croissants, and on the weekend it is very common to have a nice selection of French-style pastries and viennoiseries like chocolatines, croissant aux amandes, abricotines, etc. We eat lots of yogourt.

Toast is often eaten with a pork lard called cretons which is very similar to the rillettes de porc in France. Other than that on toast people here put a local thing called Grenache which is basically pure sugar disguised as caramel, or your usual jams. We're not big on marmelade here and that's one thing we notice in restaurants as soon as we leave Quebec: the Grenache is replaced by marmelade in the little basket with the jams.

We eat a lot of soft cheeses, often locally made or imported from France. Cheddars and other more British-style cheeses are used for cooking and grating stuff to make it au gratin. Not really something we put on a cheese plate. My kids almost recoil in horror at "American cheese", known in Canada as "Kraft Singles" or fromage en tranches. I think they might call child protection if we fed them something like Cheez Whiz!

We eat hamburgers and hot dogs occasionally but try to keep it to a minimum and use lean ground beef for the burgers and buy all-beef hot dogs or nicer sausages.

The most popular snack food here is totally local: poutine. If it hasn't made it to your corner of the world yet I'll bet 100 bucks right now it will be there in the near future! It's made of french fries with cheese curds and then a brown sauce (kind of like a hot sandwich sauce) is poured over it to melt the cheese.

I don't eat poutine from snack bars very often but one thing about poutine-mania is it has spread its wings. You can have poutine italienne (with spaghetti sauce), poutine mexicaine (salsa and pieces of fajita chicken sometimes) and other varieties like algérienne with merguez sausage, others will pulled pork or Jamaican jerk chicken. Some nicer restaurants also do a deluxe poutine with the cheese being like a brie, strips of filet mignon and a demi-glace sauce. That's usually when I eat as it is often a must-try dish in these places.

Any meal we have that features a meat dish or a pasta dish will have a baguette to accompany it at our house. And usually a salad - one of a zillion varieties of salad.

We eat a huge variety of pastas: spaghetti, macaroni, tortellini, cannelloni, manicotti, gnochhi, tagliatelle, etc.

We also have some meats prepared the Italian way like parmigiana, etc.

Of course we have pizza too.

OK, that's it for part one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World