Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will English be the unifying language?
Yes, English will dominate as the universal language 41 39.81%
No, people will not unite around any common language 40 38.83%
Yes and No, people will choose multiple languages as we get closer to unity 22 21.36%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 10:16 AM

692 posts, read 956,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
That's totally beside the point. Of course most people want to speak their own language -- and even defend their native language within their national borders and enjoy media in their own language. I lived in France for 3 years and saw that firsthand. But what English has accomplished over the last 50 years (it took decades) is that today it is regarded as the world's chief and most useful foreign language. That's why it is the one foreign language that is compulsory in schools on five continents -- which neither French, Spanish, nor Mandarin has been able to match. Unlike many European countries, France doesn't make English *officially* compulsory -- that would be admiting that English is the de facto international language -- but 96% of French students end up taking it, mostly as a first-choice foreign language. In much of the rest of Europe, including Germany, English is officially and formally compulsory. In Latin America, students in most countries choose English as their foreign language (not French, not German, not Mandarin).

"It doesn't really dominate New York" -- "have no intention of learning" -- I had a good laugh about that. Your comment is baseless, armchair philosophizing or just wishful thinking. English dominates all 50 states, including New Mexico (only the territory of Puerto Rico is an exception). Like Canada, this is a country of immigrants, some of whom come to the US later in life. They may never master English. But their children speak American English, often without an accent if they've arrived by age 10. Here in New York, I live just across the parkway from Corona, a huge Hispanic neighborhood. There, people speak Spanish in the streets but respond to you in English, always. And their children speak to THEM in English -- it's their first language. Same in Norwood, in the Bronx. Just so you know: I speak 4 languages (in addition to English, decent Spanish, better German, fluent French), and may know more about language acquisition than you do. In New York, I can never use my Spanish because Hispanics want to speak English with non-Hispanics. Spanish dominates some neighborhoods of Miami (like Hialeah) and Los Angeles (East LA), but Hispanics under age 40 speak English at a high level almost always. And the 88% of Americans who are non-Hispanic generally speak no Spanish, not one word. Undocumented male immigrants from Mexico and Central America, largely uneducated laborers, often speak poor English. But their children will speak perfect English within five years, and even many of their wives will.
You're rants are alarmingly reminiscent of someone with Bipolar Disorder type-1. Have you ever been hospitalised for mania?

Old 10-14-2015, 11:06 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,108,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
You're rants are alarmingly reminiscent of someone with Bipolar Disorder type-1. Have you ever been hospitalised for mania?
Lovable Lexie, rather often exceeding "community standards" on City-Data. Sorry, but you made far too many erroneous pronouncements (around five) about the linguistic situation in the US. You obviously know little. You also spelled "hospitalised" with an S, which suggests that your view might well be from a different shore. ("You're rants" doesn't help either.) Which ocean do you live on these days, if I might ask?

Old 10-14-2015, 11:17 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Lovable Lexie, rather often exceeding "community standards" on City-Data. Sorry, but you made far too many erroneous pronouncements (around five) about the linguistic situation in the US. You obviously know little. You also spelled "hospitalised" with an S, which suggests that your view might well be from a different shore. ("You're rants" doesn't help either.) Which ocean do you live on these days, if I might ask?
If lex has been writing in French a lot these days, he could easily be using the S (instead of the Z) in this instance out of habit, without being from a different shore, as you say.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:30 AM

I write a lot in French myself, but an American English "z" is automatic in this country in English (an -s just looks wrong). But that's a side issue: I think Lexie is way off in his/her assessments of English in this country. Those who are born here or come here (from Mexico or China) by age 10 will speak US English perfectly. I've been in NYC for decades, and have used my Spanish a total of exactly three times, in Latino neighborhoods. The US won't be speaking any lingua franca other than English for a long time.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 10-14-2015 at 11:40 AM..

Old 10-14-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I write a lot in French myself, but an American English "z" is automatic in this country in English (an -s just looks wrong). But that's a side issue: I think Lexie is way off in his/her assessments of English in this country. Those who are born here or come here (from Mexico or China) by age 10 will speak US English perfectly. I've been in NYC for decades, and have used my Spanish a total of exactly three times, in Latino neighborhoods. The US won't be speaking any lingua franca other than English for a long time.
Not that his being from "offshore'' (if he is) automatically discounts his views.

In any event, there are people living in the same city who have diametrically opposing views as to whether or not Spanish is ''taking over'' NYC or (insert name of U.S. city here), English is taking over Montreal, Muslims are taking over London or Paris, etc.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
there are people living in the same city who have diametrically opposing views as to whether or not Spanish is ''taking over'' NYC or (insert name of U.S. city here), English is taking over Montreal, Muslims are taking over London or Paris, etc.
I totally agree with you, but to me that shows paranoia in all three cases. In the above poster's case, it strikes me more as disinformation, or perhaps wishful thinking.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:37 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,887,961 times
Never ever: it won't ever replace our national language because we don't want to renounce to them, simple as that.
As strange as it may seem to many native English speakers, even if we can speak English rather well, we almost never use it (besides some lesson during the week and on the Internet I never have any chance to speak it) and I most certainly won't give up the language of Dante for English.
To even hope that is highly naive and stupid, language is our culture, it embodies our origins and our history, to give it up would mean to betray who we are.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I totally agree with you, but to me that shows paranoia in all three cases. In the above poster's case, it strikes me more as disinformation, or perhaps wishful thinking.
My views are mixed.

I don't honestly see English being supplanted by another language (eg Spanish) in NYC, but it's sometimes surprising to see English challenged - at least to some degree - for public space in some cities in the U.S.

On the other hand, I don't see English taking over as the main language in hardly any countries where it isn't the official language already.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:53 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,887,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
My views are mixed.

I don't honestly see English being supplanted by another language (eg Spanish) in NYC, but it's sometimes surprising to see English challenged - at least to some degree - for public space in some cities in the U.S.

On the other hand, I don't see English taking over as the main language in hardly any countries where it isn't the official language already.
It's curious the phobia some Americans have when hearing a foreign language even spoken in public, I repeatedly read in this forum (therefore I'm speaking of some individuals) of people that wanted to make illegal or highly difficult to speak another language (99% of times, Spanish) in public for fear that it may replace English.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:15 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,920 times
It would never happen, seriously?

There are millions of people around the world who speak their national language and have no interest nor plans to learn English. It is of no use to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World