Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 02:08 AM

367 posts, read 408,198 times

Advertisements

I've never visited Taipei or Taiwan, but this looks pretty impressive.

I guess it's only a matter of time before greysholic dashes my tourist aspirations to nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 04:36 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,242,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Another ranking by English media and surprise, London's near the top and of course is ahead of Paris as is a prerequisite of all rankings by English media.
London does have a spectacularly wide range of high quality nosh though

Old 12-31-2015, 02:58 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,218,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Another ranking by English media and surprise, London's near the top and of course is ahead of Paris as is a prerequisite of all rankings by English media.
Yeah, it's pretty goofy. Especially considering that places like Copenhagen, Fez, and Chengdu are on there, yet Paris isn't. Also, no LA or SF? And why list 16 cities, instead of 15? Or instead of ten, or 20?

Then again these kinds of lists are always highly-subjective and unscientific, and seem to try to go out of their way to always pick at least a few new locations every year that can be seen as "fresh" and "unique/non-trendy" (you know, like Fez or Chengdu)...but always with London at the top of the list, of course lol

Old 12-31-2015, 04:18 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,046,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Yeah, it's pretty goofy. Especially considering that places like Copenhagen, Fez, and Chengdu are on there, yet Paris isn't. Also, no LA or SF? And why list 16 cities, instead of 15? Or instead of ten, or 20?

Then again these kinds of lists are always highly-subjective and unscientific, and seem to try to go out of their way to always pick at least a few new locations every year that can be seen as "fresh" and "unique/non-trendy" (you know, like Fez or Chengdu)...but always with London at the top of the list, of course lol
Why is it a surprise Chengdu is there? It is the capital of Sichuan (Szechuan) province and is extremely famous for its food in China.
Do you know Kung-pao chicken and mapo tofu were created in Chengdu? I listed these two only because Americans know them too.

UNESCO declared Chengdu to be a city of gastronomy in 2011 in order to recognize the sophistication of its cooking.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:31 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,393,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineBlue View Post
I've never visited Taipei or Taiwan, but this looks pretty impressive.

I guess it's only a matter of time before greysholic dashes my tourist aspirations to nothing.
What? I don't do that.

Though you might want to watch out for the gutter oil, and honestly the food in this video looks pretty meh.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:05 AM

367 posts, read 408,198 times
Check out his full Taiwan street food playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...PtspNPKvkyTwTj

Old 01-05-2016, 02:54 PM

401 posts, read 647,840 times
Paris and Tokyo have the best food in the world, this list is garbage

Old 01-07-2016, 10:25 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,519,901 times
I wanted to add that I just returned from Jaipur (#4 on the list) a month ago, and I thought it was the most disappointing food experience I had in India. That doesn't mean it doesn't have great food. I just don't know where to find it. In fact, I found it actually exceedingly hard to find a sit-down restaurant or canteen-type place in the main tourist section of the city. I think this must be the first touristy place I've been on earth that didn't exacerbate travellers with tourist trap restaurants where you'd expect them to. Interesting.

I went to LMB hotel for their "royal thali" that is supposed to be remarkable. I thought it wasn't that great at all. Especially since the cost was close to about $10 CAD. That made it especially hard to enjoy.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:57 PM

11,048 posts, read 16,809,493 times
This is a "foodie" list, which explains it. The foodie scene is fickle and trendy; it started as a reaction to the stuffy food critic culture that turned its nose at ethnic cuisine and tasty street food, but has since gained its own orthodoxy that alternately obsesses over "authenticity" while demanding that places do the most daring and new things. Remember the quinoa, bacon, and cupcake trends that were huge a few years ago and became cliches? Those were foodie scene obsessions. IIRC the world's best restaurant last year according to one outlet served steak garnished with seared fire ants, and was a one-room place with three tables booked out years in advance in Estonia or something like that... It almost comes across like something from an Onion article.

I'm a chef, I own a restaurant - a Texmex place in China, of all things. I could absolutely use this to push myself as one of these mega-eclectic destinations but I find the whole scene to be absurd and want nothing to do with it.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:52 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,240,903 times
I lived in NYC and now live in LA.

LOL @ NYC being on the list and LA not.

LA has the best food scene in the country and it's not even up for debate.

Having Michelin stars does not mean the food is actually good. There are far better places to eat than overpriced garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World