Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 09:52 PM

919 posts, read 839,479 times

Advertisements

Chinese dissidents accuse UK of 'shameful' clampdown on Xi protests
Shao Jiang, 47, was manhandled and arrested for peacefully protesting by stepping in front of Xi's motorcade on Wednesday evening ahead of a lavish London reception for the Chinese leader, according to fellow dissidents Wang Dan and Wu'er Kaixi.

Shao's home was raided and his computer equipment seized, said Wang and Wu'er, who like Shao were part of the student-led democracy movement in Beijing's Tiananmen Square in 1989 which ended in a bloody crackdown by Chinese troops.

At the same protest on Wednesday, two Tibetan women Sonam Choden, 30, and Jamphel Lhamo, 33, were taken away by police for attempting to unfurl Tibetan flags as Xi passed by, the dissidents and the women's lawyer said.
It's great the two big countries keep peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 01:25 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,263 times
The UK and China are close now.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:05 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
[indent][i]Shao Jiang, 47, was manhandled and arrested for peacefully protesting by stepping in front of Xi's motorcade on Wednesday evening ahead of a lavish London reception for the Chinese leader, according to fellow dissidents Wang Dan and Wu'er Kaixi.

You are not describing UK and China. You are describing a single incident of a single person from China involving a single policeman in the UK, according to fellow dissidents.

Do you have any idea how many Americans were "manhandled and arrested" in the 21st century, in their own country, for peacefully standing on a sidewalk when George W. Bush's motorcades were passing? I bailed one of them out of jail myself. That's what the police do when dignitaries are protested.

(By the way, why did this news report fail to mention the ages of the dissidents? What are they covering up?)

Old 10-25-2015, 07:09 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
The UK and China are close now.
And long may it continue

Old 10-25-2015, 07:18 AM

514 posts, read 470,612 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF8HFerjvLY

Old 10-25-2015, 07:23 AM

I wonder if this is will help travel between the 2 for work?

Old 10-25-2015, 11:22 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
I wonder if this is will help travel between the 2 for work?
Most likely yeah.

The process of getting a visa is already quite easy; you can go through an agent in China and get a valid business visa for a few thousand RMB (maybe 300-600GBP) that will be good for six months to a year. The bigger thing will be the duration of the business visas issues.

About a year ago, the US and China signed a unilateral agreement to provide eachother with ten year visas. About two weeks later, I got one of the first 10-year, unlimited entrance/exit M (business) visas issued to an American, and thousands have followed.

A few months after that, Canada granted Chinese nationals 10-year visas, and China granted them reciprocal 10-year L (tourist) and M (business) visas, though in practice, their requirements are a bit more strict than they are for Americans - I know more Canadian expats in GZ than Americans, but I only know four with ten-year visas, two of them business-owning Chinese-Canadians, while I know a couple dozen Americans with 10-year visas, most of them transient ESL teachers who didn't even ask for it (I own a bar here and am fairly well-connected in the expat community).

Considering that the UK did exactly what the US and Canada did before their citizens got 10-year visas, and it's also spent much of the last year buddying up to China in terms of business, I would be surprised if this didn't follow. Because the US, CAN, and UK have democratic governments that all have policies about transparency, they will usually announce such things some time in advance, while the CCP will give no advance discussion and then have a press release stating that they have changed policy.

So... I'd give it a few days to a few weeks, and UK citizens will be able to get ten-year visas.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Most likely yeah.

The process of getting a visa is already quite easy; you can go through an agent in China and get a valid business visa for a few thousand RMB (maybe 300-600GBP) that will be good for six months to a year. The bigger thing will be the duration of the business visas issues.

About a year ago, the US and China signed a unilateral agreement to provide eachother with ten year visas. About two weeks later, I got one of the first 10-year, unlimited entrance/exit M (business) visas issued to an American, and thousands have followed.

A few months after that, Canada granted Chinese nationals 10-year visas, and China granted them reciprocal 10-year L (tourist) and M (business) visas, though in practice, their requirements are a bit more strict than they are for Americans - I know more Canadian expats in GZ than Americans, but I only know four with ten-year visas, two of them business-owning Chinese-Canadians, while I know a couple dozen Americans with 10-year visas, most of them transient ESL teachers who didn't even ask for it (I own a bar here and am fairly well-connected in the expat community).

Considering that the UK did exactly what the US and Canada did before their citizens got 10-year visas, and it's also spent much of the last year buddying up to China in terms of business, I would be surprised if this didn't follow. Because the US, CAN, and UK have democratic governments that all have policies about transparency, they will usually announce such things some time in advance, while the CCP will give no advance discussion and then have a press release stating that they have changed policy.

So... I'd give it a few days to a few weeks, and UK citizens will be able to get ten-year visas.
Outstanding post thank you

Old 01-14-2016, 02:53 AM

1,946 posts, read 2,563,054 times
UK will be in China territory.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:59 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japanese001 View Post
UK will be in China territory.
What does this mean??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World