U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-08-2015, 02:09 AM
 
Location: Vancouver, BC
8,987 posts, read 9,714,921 times
Reputation: 3577

Advertisements

I've been looking at photos of inuit and they look very Asian which I suppose makes sense since that's where they came from way back when. Which ethnic group in Asia are they closest to? I know there is a small population that lives on the Russian side of the Bering Strait but what other Asian ethnic group are they closest to? Could an Inuit pass for a Mongolian or a Korean for instance in their respective countries as long as they didn't speak to anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-08-2015, 02:58 AM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,269 posts, read 11,419,995 times
Reputation: 13363
If I had to guess, I would say Mongolian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2015, 03:07 AM
 
Location: Seattle WA, USA
2,771 posts, read 1,155,647 times
Reputation: 1537
The Siberian Yupik people https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_Yupik_people they call themselves Yupighyt. They are closely related to Alaskan Eskimo of North America. They are also natives to st Lawrence island in Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2015, 03:18 AM
 
Location: Seattle WA, USA
2,771 posts, read 1,155,647 times
Reputation: 1537
But if you are talking about people who are unrelated then it would be the Chukchi people's https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chukchi_people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2015, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,672 posts, read 67,237,865 times
Reputation: 35581
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
But if you are talking about people who are unrelated then it would be the Chukchi people's https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chukchi_people
But . . . but . . . Aren't the Inuits "related" to all the Asians that they resemble, with the relationship proportional to the resemblance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2015, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Seattle WA, USA
2,771 posts, read 1,155,647 times
Reputation: 1537
I ment from a cultural/linguistic point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2015, 04:35 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
65,006 posts, read 55,030,221 times
Reputation: 56869
It depends on the individuals, to some extent. Some look like Yukagirs, and genetically it's been found that there's Yukagir DNA in some of the Inuit. There are also at least a couple of shared vocabulary items between the Yukagirs and the Inuit, though it's premature to say whether that indicates a connection.

Some look a lot like some of the people from the Altai, and the Inuit are believed by researchers to have originated from a certain population in the Altai--the Yukh people, who lost their original language in the 1960's and have assimilated linguistically to the Kets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2015, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Seattle WA, USA
2,771 posts, read 1,155,647 times
Reputation: 1537
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
But . . . but . . . Aren't the Inuits "related" to all the Asians that they resemble, with the relationship proportional to the resemblance?
Also the Siberian Yupik are not Asian. They originated in Alaska and moved to Siberia about 4,000 years ago. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskimo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2015, 06:16 PM
 
Location: Vancouver, BC
8,987 posts, read 9,714,921 times
Reputation: 3577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It depends on the individuals, to some extent. Some look like Yukagirs, and genetically it's been found that there's Yukagir DNA in some of the Inuit. There are also at least a couple of shared vocabulary items between the Yukagirs and the Inuit, though it's premature to say whether that indicates a connection.

Some look a lot like some of the people from the Altai, and the Inuit are believed by researchers to have originated from a certain population in the Altai--the Yukh people, who lost their original language in the 1960's and have assimilated linguistically to the Kets.
It raises an interesting question if Inuit people feel more of a kinship with Siberian peoples like the Yukagir or Chukchi than they do with other Native Americans like Cherokees or Sioux for example. So do they identify more with Siberian Asians or other Native Americans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2015, 11:55 PM
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
9,801 posts, read 5,835,070 times
Reputation: 4770
Central Asians and Mongolians, depending on the individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top