Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 07:57 AM

29 posts, read 22,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
*Iran and Afghanistan
*Morocco and Algeria
*Malaysia and Indonesia
*Iraq and Kuwait (besides the latter being rich, both have extremely similar dialects and music culture)
*Egypt and Libya
*Lebanon and Syria (again, similar dialects and music)
Would say that Oz and New Zealand are alike? I don't think so, but I've heard it countless times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 01:46 PM

209 posts, read 304,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanHagen View Post
I've been to Southern Brazil and it isn't even remotely as European as they'd like you to believe. It surely received its fair share of Northern European immigration, though. The indigenous influence in the region is crystal clear, for instance. African-Brazilian culture is present as well.
No, it's false. Probably You're a clon who never been to South Brazil or even a Brazil, but ok the indigenous influence is very small in comparasion with other latin america regions (in my city about 3~4%), and African exist yes, but the region is probably the most Euro in All Latin America.

Capital and Foz Do Iguaçu are more mixed or not so european.

Last edited by Capitalists; 11-27-2015 at 01:56 PM..

Old 11-27-2015, 01:49 PM

209 posts, read 304,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
In capital cities yes, is normal northeaster Brazilians moving for work to the many states, but countryside is more original people from the region.
No... South Brazil received almost nothing Northeast people (Curitiba, about 50 mil, São Paulo RM about 37~45% of all city), most mixed people are from São Paulo or Sulista who born here.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fagrance View Post
Norway and Sweden, although Norwegians look down on the Swedish, I think the Norwegians see themselves as superior to the Swedes who go to Norway to look for work.
No! They are not similar at all. Different languages, different landscape and even different climate (Norway west share the gloomy climate which UK have)

Old 11-27-2015, 06:17 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,342,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanHagen View Post
Would say that Oz and New Zealand are alike? I don't think so, but I've heard it countless times.
Similar like Alberta, Canada, and Montana? No.

Similar like New Brunswick, Canada and Texas or California? Yes.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:59 PM

41 posts, read 38,557 times
Quote:
For example Netherlands and the Flemish part of Belgium. While the French part of Belgium is extremely similar to Northern France.

I found that the South Western part of the US (Texas especially) resembles Mexico (with the whole cowboy, spicy food, desertic landscapes, cattle raising etc.) I remember thinking about how much both Texans and Mexicans loved big cars, big houses, big food portions. On both sides of the border!

Northern US is almost impossible to set apart from English speaking Canada, if it wasn't for immigration control, you would not realize you changed country.

Norway and Sweden, although Norwegians look down on the Swedish, I think the Norwegians see themselves as superior to the Swedes who go to Norway to look for work.

In South America I found that Colombia and Brazil seemed very similar, I would even venture to say that Colombia is a spanish speaking version of Brazil, both multiracial societies with almost the same problematic with crime and inequality but also good things in both places that are actually similar like easy going good looking people, excellent music, amazon rainforest etc.

Also in South America, Uruguay is almost impossible to set apart from Argentina. Even the Uruguay accent is pretty much the same as Argentinian. In fact Uruguay resembles the Buenos Aires region of Argentina more than some other parts of Argentina resemble their capital region.

Ireland and Northern Ireland. I found that North Ireland is more British, you can really see the influence but they are still pretty much the same people.

Southern Florida and Cuba. Miami is like a well cared for Havana, with art deco architecture, similar athmopshere, even culture is similar. Havana and Miami truly have a connection, you can clearly see it.

Any other countries or regions?

I have to disagree on the Colombia/Brazil comparison.

Let me see. Both countries have gorgeous women? Check. Different regions with different cultures? Check. Both countries having a rainforest? Check. That's pretty much where the similarities end. Ecuador and Peru have amazon rainforests also. Ecuador and Peru also have different regions with different cultures just like Colombia. Venezuela has gorgeous women like Colombia and like Brazil and they also speak Spanish. Colombia is more similar to Venezuela and in some things to Ecuador and Peru than Brazil. Brazil has a lot more Whites than Colombia and a lot more Blacks, too. Brazil in my opinion is like no other country in South America or the world for that matter.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:15 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Similar like Alberta, Canada, and Montana? No.

Similar like New Brunswick, Canada and Texas or California? Yes.
I don't agree. NZ and Australia are more intertwined historically, and to the present day.

Day to day living doesn't seem much different to me. Culturally and politically, they do seem to be diverging imo.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:47 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
More Germanic maybe but Slavic
The current Brazilian president is of Bulgarian descent, and there are many Brazilians of Polish, Ukranian and Russian descent.

Brazil is alot more multi-cultural than people realize.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:48 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Quote:
For example Netherlands and the Flemish part of Belgium. While the French part of Belgium is extremely similar to Northern France.

I found that the South Western part of the US (Texas especially) resembles Mexico (with the whole cowboy, spicy food, desertic landscapes, cattle raising etc.) I remember thinking about how much both Texans and Mexicans loved big cars, big houses, big food portions. On both sides of the border!

Northern US is almost impossible to set apart from English speaking Canada, if it wasn't for immigration control, you would not realize you changed country.

In South America I found that Colombia and Brazil seemed very similar, I would even venture to say that Colombia is a spanish speaking version of Brazil, both multiracial societies with almost the same problematic with crime and inequality but also good things in both places that are actually similar like easy going good looking people, excellent music, amazon rainforest etc.

Also in South America, Uruguay is almost impossible to set apart from Argentina. Even the Uruguay accent is pretty much the same as Argentinian. In fact Uruguay resembles the Buenos Aires region of Argentina more than some other parts of Argentina resemble their capital region.

Ireland and Northern Ireland. I found that North Ireland is more British, you can really see the influence but they are still pretty much the same people.

Southern Florida and Cuba. Miami is like a well cared for Havana, with art deco architecture, similar athmopshere, even culture is similar. Havana and Miami truly have a connection, you can clearly see it.

Any other countries or regions?
I don't think Brazil and Colombia are very similar, Brazil is way more multi-cultural than Colombia and the people act differently. I have Brazilians and Colombians in my family, HUGE DIFFERENCE. I think Brazilians are more laid back and chill than Colombians.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:28 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,342,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I don't agree. NZ and Australia are more intertwined historically, and to the present day.

Day to day living doesn't seem much different to me. Culturally and politically, they do seem to be diverging imo.
Travelling from Alberta to Montana there isn't that much to remind you that you've gone from one country to another. But you'd never mistake Darwin, Cairns or even Melbourne or Sydney for New Zealand. The historical connections between the US and Canada are there too, but in a different way to the historical links between Aus and NZ.

NZ and Aus diverging politically and culturally? Yes, I agree with you on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World