Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 07:47 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,073,055 times

Advertisements

Don't know if he is white or black but he is definitely Washingtonian. This isn't about race or ethnicity, you don't have to be East Asian to be Asian, just like you don't have to be black to be African, just like you don't have to be a Native American to be American. Asia is a region that it's physical landmass although debatable is measurable and as long as your born in Asia your Asian. You can ethnically be from an Ethnic group known to be mainly in Europe, but that doesn't mean your not Asian.
European isn't a set standard that you must be white and white only, Europe is a landmass and their is no European race, even if you look at the theories Europeans are either split into several "races" or are grouped with Southwest Asian groups(Iranian/ Pakistani/Afghan/Indian) and for example most people don't know this but their are Black Caucasians and a Black Caucasian isn't an oxymoron.
Slavs don't have to be European, although Slavs do come from somewhere in the Eastern European region By the logic your using everyone in Europe is from Africa, and therefore African if you are using origins of an ethnic group, or everyone is from Armenia or Georgia (were the word Caucasian originates from).
Tell a White South African, that their not South African and see what happens, tell any black/ white or Hispanic Americans and again see their reaction. Their is not a unified Asian culture, religion, race(The Asian race (American Standards) does not cover all of Asia Ironically). So are Egyptians/ Ancient Egyptians who are pretty light skinned (Same with the Berber people, not Afican? so are they Asian? Africa does not mean- black, just like Asian does not mean Chinese or Indian (bengali, keralan etc.).
Russia identifies itself as a European Nation, and most of it's population live in Europe so I agree, but saying all white russians, I won't say that. I would say all Russians are European and a certain percentage (20% roughly) are also Asian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 08:20 AM

566 posts, read 503,856 times
Would you ask a white with blonde hair, blue eyes born in South Africa if they were black? Or a European born in Australia if they were Aborigine?
Being born in America does not make one an Apache or an Eskimo.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:26 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,030,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcricket300 View Post
All white Russians are Europeans, regardless of which region of Russia they are from..
What about the "white Russians" in Turkestan?

Old 11-26-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Gomar Holnyuk View Post
Would you ask a white with blonde hair, blue eyes born in South Africa if they were black? Or a European born in Australia if they were Aborigine?
Being born in America does not make one an Apache or an Eskimo.
I would ask if they were South african? After asking if they were from Europe/ or if they have a south african accent if they were from South Africa. Africa isn't a race neither is Asian. East Asian is considered a race or people who have a certain facial structure, but Asia is a continent not a race. The U.S census does not classify Iranians as Asia for example even though Iran is in Asia. Again I am saying that Australia is a landmass, same with North America and Asia and Africa. They Are South Africa, Australian and North American.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
If I was born in an airplane over the ocean, who am I?
Don't know how to double quote, but were are your parents from then? Also where were you raised? For Example the guy mentioned before is an Asian of the Russian Ethnic group but if he say lived in Europe then he would be of the Russian ethnic group but born in Asia and currently resides in the European part of Russia. So basically he is a Russian(ethnic group not nationality) Asian who lives in Europe.

Old 11-26-2015, 12:35 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,983,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
First and foremost this person is Russian. But Novosibirsk is in Asia so technically he has a right to call himself an Asian however I guess in practice they hardly refer to themselves as such
excellent answer

Old 11-26-2015, 10:46 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I understand that Russians, even those who live in Central Siberia, would want to be called europeans, but I just checked and Google maps tells me it would take 71 hours to ride the 6000 km that separate me from Novossibirsk. I can't really call that part of the world "Europe", actually it is just too far and different from here. Russia is a world in itself.
Not really, they first of all consider themselves "ethnic Russians" ( "European" comes secondary,) not part of local ethnicities ( although not all ethnicities are "local" in Russian Federation. You can meet Caucasians, Ukrainians in Siberia/ Far East and so on.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
What about the "white Russians" in Turkestan?
What is "white Russians" in Turkestan?"
Russians are Russians, it's an ethnicity, Turkmen are Turkmen.
So Russians will still identify themselves as "Russians" in Turkmenia, and they will be identified as such by the Turkmen.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Don't know how to double quote, but were are your parents from then? Also where were you raised? For Example the guy mentioned before is an Asian of the Russian Ethnic group but if he say lived in Europe then he would be of the Russian ethnic group but born in Asia and currently resides in the European part of Russia. So basically he is a Russian(ethnic group not nationality) Asian who lives in Europe.
No, he is still a Russian, no matter what part of the Russian Federation he lives in. And Asians are still Asians ( be they Tadjiks or Kazakhs living in Moscow. )
This is how it works in Russia.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:13 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcricket300 View Post
All white Russians are Europeans, regardless of which region of Russia they are from..

Really if we want to be technical most people in North America and Australia (other than black Americans, Indians and Aboriginal Australians) are European too. My ancestors have been in America for centuries but I like most Americans have a largely European heritage. That is where the culture of my country came from, its laws etc. We are absolutely without a doubt culturally European. The same is true of Russians living in Siberia, they are still European people. They just happen to have colonized a large part of Asia. No different than my European ancestors who colonized North America. Culturally Europe spreads far and wide across the globe. I bet people who have an Asian culture do not see their Russian neighbors as Asian. I bet they see them as European too. Russia is a European country, that is where its cultural core is. It does not matter how far east it stretches, its language, religion and culture is completely European. If you are a Russian living in Novosibirsk then you are a European. I do wonder however how many people who live in Novosibirsk are actually Russian. Obviously there are a lot of non European people living in that region as well. Its still a Russian city however and as I said Russia means European IMO. It sure is an isolated place however, wonder what its like to live somewhere like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World