Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 04:09 PM

Location: The worlds most liveable city in the worlds most livable nation! "The most beautiful place on Earth"
52 posts, read 47,337 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am thinking of making a move to experience another country. Is Canada a better place to live than western Europe?

1. We don't have the ethnic ghettoes or poverty that average western Europeans live in but some European cities rank high in Mercer magazines quality of life magazines despite Europeans having a lot low standard of living.

2. Racism doesn't exist in Canada except for a handful of people but in Europe it seems to be a really big problem, so how bad is that in relation? Is there really casual racism in countries like Holland?

3. Canadians are often called the most polite people in the world and also known for our humbleness and generosity. Who are the most polite Europeans? Are the French and the Scandinavians really that arrogant?

4. In Canada we have a relatively mild four season climate in most of the country. Is the lack on sunshine a problem for depression sufferers in countries like the UK and Germany and especially Scandinavia?

5. What do European people think about Canada in saving them from Germany and the USSR? I have heard that there are Europeans who are mad that our side won, is this really true?

6. How is the current economic decline and migrant movement affecting European life? Should this affect my consideration?

Thanks for the help!

Old 11-24-2015, 05:56 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
OP, racism does exist in Canada, and it's fairly widespread. Against the First Nations peoples. I don't know how Europeans could compare racism in Europe (many different countries) with the same in Canada, unless they've lived in Canada.

"Relatively mild four season climate in MOST of the country"? Do you mean, in most of the densely-populated part of the country? Most of the population is in the south, that's why it seems to you to be a mild climate. Try Calgary, though, not to mention Edmonton. And don't forget about Nunavut, and the other northern lands, which are considerable in size.

Are you trying to decide whether to move to Europe or stay home? I think you've got a pretty good deal there in Canada. I might stay put, if I were you. But how do you propose to get a work permit or residency visa in Europe? Have you checked out visa requirements? Do you speak, a foreign language decently? (Most Canadians I know put little effort into their French lessons in school.) Do you work in a field that's in demand in Europe? Have you put any practical thought, planning or research into this?

Old 11-24-2015, 07:05 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,278,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canada number one View Post
Hi, I am thinking of making a move to experience another country. Is Canada a better place to live than western Europe?

1. We don't have the ethnic ghettoes or poverty that average western Europeans live in but some European cities rank high in Mercer magazines quality of life magazines despite Europeans having a lot low standard of living.
Are you sure about that? I guess it depends where in western Europe if you compare to France I'm pretty sure you are correct but if compared to countries like Austria or Switzerland I wouldn't be so sure.

Quote:
2. Racism doesn't exist in Canada except for a handful of people but in Europe it seems to be a really big problem, so how bad is that in relation? Is there really casual racism in countries like Holland?
I'm sure one can find casual racism anywhere in the world, Holland and Canada included although I do would argue that overall western Europe would loose that comparison probably.

Quote:
3. Canadians are often called the most polite people in the world and also known for our humbleness and generosity. Who are the most polite Europeans? Are the French and the Scandinavians really that arrogant?
I can see that, especially the humble part!

Quote:
4. In Canada we have a relatively mild four season climate in most of the country. Is the lack on sunshine a problem for depression sufferers in countries like the UK and Germany and especially Scandinavia?

Another poster already addressed this pretty spot on IMHO.

Quote:
5. What do European people think about Canada in saving them from Germany and the USSR? I have heard that there are Europeans who are mad that our side won, is this really true?
Most Germans have no issue with the nations (Canada included if they even are aware that they were part of them) of the allied forces of the past in regards that they won back then.

Quote:
6. How is the current economic decline and migrant movement affecting European life? Should this affect my consideration?
Again somewhat depends on the country and also what exactly it is that you plan on doing in western Europe.

Quote:
Thanks for the help!
My pleasure!

Old 11-24-2015, 08:36 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times

Old 11-24-2015, 08:54 PM

Location: The worlds most liveable city in the worlds most livable nation! "The most beautiful place on Earth"
52 posts, read 47,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
Are you sure about that? I guess it depends where in western Europe if you compare to France I'm pretty sure you are correct but if compared to countries like Austria or Switzerland I wouldn't be so sure.

I'm sure one can find casual racism anywhere in the world, Holland and Canada included although I do would argue that overall western Europe would loose that comparison probably.

I can see that, especially the humble part!

Another poster already addressed this pretty spot on IMHO.

Most Germans have no issue with the nations (Canada included if they even are aware that they were part of them) of the allied forces of the past in regards that they won back then.

Again somewhat depends on the country and also what exactly it is that you plan on doing in western Europe.

My pleasure!
Thanks for the information. What I plan on doing in western Europe is spending six months months touring. I am deciding what countries to spend the most time in. I think that the important countries are France, Britain, Germany and Italy. I have no interest in anywhere east of Germany or Denmark, eastern Europe. I also want to avoid Belgium, Austria, and Sweden under all circumstances. Ideally I will spend one month in England, one in France, one in Germany, one in Italy, and that leaves two months to spend somewhere else. How does that sound?

Old 11-25-2015, 05:52 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Now playing: CCR - Trolling on the (St. Lawrence) River

Old 11-25-2015, 07:37 AM

134 posts, read 162,204 times
Quote:
It depends on what you like, like or dislike for places if often very subjective.

Quote:
There are ghettos in Canada contrary to what you claim.

-Regent Park in Toronto is mostly populated by low income people, it's an impoverished area of Toronto known for its crime and gang activity.

-Malton Mississauga: Another area known for its high unemployment and large impoverished multicultural population.

-Verdun Montreal : high crime rate, low income area

-Downtown Eastside Vancouver : Area known for its large poverty, drug and violence.

And many more.....

Quote:
Racism does exist in Canada, and in fact it can be quite brutal especially towards the native indigenous population.
Canada's racism problem? It's even worse than America's.
Here is a report about the brutal institutionalized racism towards the indigenous Canadians. They are in worse condition than Africa-Americans!

https://books.google.be/books?id=&dq...i-D4sQ6AEIJTAB
An interesting insight into Canada's racism and quiet discrimination..... NO CANADIAN EXPERIENCE, NO QUALIFIED FOR THE JOB!

Quote:
Canadians personally have never come across as polite to me.... if anything I find them to be overly nationalistic and constantly comparing themselves to Americans and in the process degrading Americans and putting them down! In fact I've met a very large number of Canadians and they all had this strange sense of superiority, it's almost as if they were expecting me to be honored that I had met a person from Canada and then being puzzled I wasn't blown apart by the fact they were Canadians!

Quote:
Canada has some of the coldest most brutal winters anywhere in the world. It can be so devastatingly cold that cities like Montreal have underground cities built in so people do not have to go on the street!

Quote:
Canada participated in the war effort against Nazi Germany but so did many other countries from around Europe and the world!

Quote:
Europe is large and differs from country to country!

Old 11-25-2015, 07:58 AM

27,545 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Canada is alright as far as countries go.

But western Europe is far more interesting and varied. Shouldn't even try to compare the two.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:20 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,379,001 times
Quote:
Thanks for the information. What I plan on doing in western Europe is spending six months months touring. I am deciding what countries to spend the most time in. I think that the important countries are France, Britain, Germany and Italy. I have no interest in anywhere east of Germany or Denmark, eastern Europe. I also want to avoid Belgium, Austria, and Sweden under all circumstances. Ideally I will spend one month in England, one in France, one in Germany, one in Italy, and that leaves two months to spend somewhere else. How does that sound?
Well from an economic standpoint, Italy is not doing so well. Germany and the UK are doing better. One thing i guarantee, it is very hard at the moment to find a job in Europe, unless you have some really valuable skill, still it is not easy. Honestly, i think you should be more open minded and try other countries while you are in Europe... don't be so quick to judge.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:27 AM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fagrance View Post

-Verdun Montreal : high crime rate, low income area
Verdun in Montreal is hardly a ghetto. Probably the closest thing in that city that you could refer to as a ghetto is Montréal-Nord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World