Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 09:16 AM

990 posts, read 881,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
What do you mean by 'Spanish women'?
From Latin America (less Brazil)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 01:04 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,128,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
What do you mean by 'Spanish women'?
Women from Spain, which happens to be my country.
This guy made a general observation about various, unspecified countries and so I spoke from the experience of one of them.

Last edited by Arigarisha; 12-10-2015 at 01:17 PM..

Old 12-10-2015, 02:26 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
I had to google and look up on youtube on examples what catcalling really is, as the word wasn't familiar to me. But I guessed right, it's loud comments like "look at that ass", whistling or "tutti frutti mamma mia bella bella mio 30 anni mio live a mi mamma".

Bloody barbaric I think. Such behaviour is totally unacceptable here, and the best way to not get hooked up.

Old 12-10-2015, 02:51 PM

182 posts, read 165,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iranianguy View Post
Hey guys, I am from terrible middle east ( Iran) where Islamic culture rules out our lives, making such "harsh" and "insecure vibe".
Here is a list of what's going on here (P.S: More culture oriented, rather than focusing on politics):

1. When you enter a shopping, for say, Cell phone shops, you see a bodybuilding champion! as salesman who has next to zero tolerance for answering your cell-phones-based questions.

2. When you walk down the streets to enjoy your street hiking, you encounter fight-mongering people (specially male youth at age range 18-30) who know nothing but waxing muscles at clubs to make themselves scary. (It's an honor to have a wrestler broken ears in Iran plus having knife stitches/scars on your face!)

3. When you attend a sport stadium, you will be holding you breathe during a match, since the slightest mistake towards the others could easily cause a fight! ( Even gazing at them for 5+ seconds!!)

4. When you want to marry a girl, you are likely going to have to spend 2 years of hard work on wedding and post-wedding costs. ( Not to mention this waste breaking alimony when a divorce comes due, and if you fail to pay, you are put in jail for years!!). Even a downright marriage is scary. marriage which is meant to bring solace and happiness, is a sword of democles hovering over your head!

While in contrary in non-islamic countries, the above examples are as below:
1. When you enter a shopping, you see a salesman with big smile who'll not hesitate to take time to meet all your questions. (Bodybuilding is not a factor, only a responsibility and good manner matters)

2. When you walk down a street, you can wear a T-shirt and a baseball hat and push forward a pram along with your wife with ease of mind. (No leering fool to scrutinize your girlfriend's sex apeal or catcall her)

3. When you attend a sport stadium, you will get to see nice people who are there to ONLY enjoy a match. (Not a masculine dangerous vibe, since the females are also there)

4. When you marry a girl, you have had your time with her to develope love, to avoid a pig in poke Islamic marriage in which couples are not allowed to date before getting married. (alimony is almost nothing in non-islamic countries).

Bottom line: I am living in this harsh Islamic vibe, hoping to take off here real soon. I also applied for US student visa but flunked it 2 times in a row, so I am giving up re-applying it.

So many efforts,energies and precious time were put to improve my language, getting my visa thing done,...., but were all down the drain and yet, I am trapped in this Islamic vibe for 29 grey years. Maybe finding a new country and staring a new language all over again could cure, I don't know. Heaven help me
(Feels like Metallica music video unforgiven 1, in broad strokes)

Those are just generalisations. I haven't been to any Muslim majority Country but I'm sure the atmosphere in Iran isn't the same to Turkey for example.

The Non-Islamic world isn't all a bed of roses...

Old 12-11-2015, 10:21 AM

20 posts, read 17,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I wish you luck as you try to get out of Iran. I can't imagine feeling forced to live in a country that I hated.
Thanks for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I had to google and look up on youtube on examples what catcalling really is, as the word wasn't familiar to me. But I guessed right, it's loud comments like "look at that ass", whistling or "tutti frutti mamma mia bella bella mio 30 anni mio live a mi mamma".

Bloody barbaric I think. Such behaviour is totally unacceptable here, and the best way to not get hooked up.
When the Islamic-belt regime of Iran wouldn't let women show off their beauties, and imposes them an Islamic dress-up rule, it's going to be a big deal of men getting more voracious about women sexual apeals.
Here in Iran we are basically dealing with two types of women as depicted in the picture below:
1. A woman fully dressed up in this sick Islamic cover:

In this case a woman doesn't typically hear catcalls (While they only take up like 20% of Iranian women)

2. A woman which is less covered in Islamic dressing:

In this case a woman usually hears catcals and sexual propositions right out on streets. (They take up 80% of Iranian women)

Catcalling is so rife in Iran, that it has put a great amount of pressure on Iranian women that some even prefer not to step outside home unless they bring their moms along, just to avoid hearing catcalls from nippers on streets. (But I have witnessed that girls alongside their moms hear catcals regardless).

These reasons are major factors that cause the issue:
1. Islamic regime of Iran has not given so much as freedom to Iranian women to show off their beauties.
(I think when a woman shows off her beauty, that doesn't mean they are perverts or wanna hit on somebody. In the other hand, It's pretty natural to display a beautiful thing you possess, be it a car, a laptop, or a your body's natural beauty. And yet, this is not something that either our regime or our people fully understand, so hapless women hear catcals all the time)

2. Iranian people are in transition from a traditional society to a modern society, and it's there. (Take note that nowdays, 80%+ of Iranian family have satellite and actually see what's going on in outside world and actually tend to emulate)

3. In Muslim world, where women are kept intact from men, they are being looked at like this thrilling, amazing sacrosancts in whom a man can't get close to. (Having a conversation with a woman or befriending them is NOT regarded as pretty conventional in Iranian society).

Even dating a woman is so thrilling in Iran, because of the way society looks at relationships. it's both ruined by Iranian regime AND Iranian conventions in which a family doesn't let a girl befriend a man in most cases. So you are gonna have to always keep your relationships surreptitiously, by smuggling! your girlfriend to alleys and streets far from her family house and places where there is no Karma police patroling the streets for non-islamic relationships.

I am so sorry about making you pissed, but this is what's going on here. I hope some day Iranian people (And all Islamic countries) are rid of Islamic thoughts and Islamic culture and Islamic vibe. (Which is so oppressive beyond belief).
We are suffering here, please get this point across.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:40 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iranianguy View Post
Hey guys, I am from terrible middle east ( Iran) where Islamic culture rules out our lives, making such "harsh" and "insecure vibe".
Here is a list of what's going on here (P.S: More culture oriented, rather than focusing on politics):

1. When you enter a shopping, for say, Cell phone shops, you see a bodybuilding champion! as salesman who has next to zero tolerance for answering your cell-phones-based questions.
Sounds like Russia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iranianguy;
2. When you walk down the streets to enjoy your street hiking, you encounter fight-mongering people (specially male youth at age range 18-30) who know nothing but waxing muscles at clubs to make themselves scary. (It's an honor to have a wrestler broken ears in Iran plus having knife stitches/scars on your face!)
Sounds like parts of Russia.
Quote:
3. When you attend a sport stadium, you will be holding you breathe during a match, since the slightest mistake towards the others could easily cause a fight! ( Even gazing at them for 5+ seconds!!)
Could be anywhere (but North America); Sweden, France, Latin America, maybe even Russia....
Quote:
4. When you want to marry a girl, you are likely going to have to spend 2 years of hard work on wedding and post-wedding costs. ( Not to mention this waste breaking alimony when a divorce comes due, and if you fail to pay, you are put in jail for years!!). Even a downright marriage is scary. marriage which is meant to bring solace and happiness, is a sword of democles hovering over your head!
Sounds like the US. Especially Hollywood.
Quote:
While in contrary in non-islamic countries, the above examples are as below:
1. When you enter a shopping, you see a salesman with big smile who'll not hesitate to take time to meet all your questions. (Bodybuilding is not a factor, only a responsibility and good manner matters)
Not in all non-Islamic countries. You won't see this in Russia much, and rarely in Scandinavia. I don't know about the rest of Europe.
Quote:
2. When you walk down a street, you can wear a T-shirt and a baseball hat and push forward a pram along with your wife with ease of mind. (No leering fool to scrutinize your girlfriend's sex apeal or catcall her)
True, but if the girlfriend were to walk down the street without her bf, she might have to deal with leering and catcalling. At least--in the US and a few European countries, not all.
Quote:
3. When you attend a sport stadium, you will get to see nice people who are there to ONLY enjoy a match. (Not a masculine dangerous vibe, since the females are also there)

4. When you marry a girl, you have had your time with her to develope love, to avoid a pig in poke Islamic marriage in which couples are not allowed to date before getting married. (alimony is almost nothing in non-islamic countries).
Pretty true, and true. Still, people (male and female) find ways to deceive the other in a courtship situation. There's no guarantee.
Quote:
Bottom line: I am living in this harsh Islamic vibe, hoping to take off here real soon. I also applied for US student visa but flunked it 2 times in a row, so I am giving up re-applying it.

So many efforts,energies and precious time were put to improve my language, getting my visa thing done,...., but were all down the drain and yet, I am trapped in this Islamic vibe for 29 grey years. Maybe finding a new country and staring a new language all over again could cure, I don't know. Heaven help me
(Feels like Metallica music video unforgiven 1, in broad strokes)
Have you worked on improving your English? For a student visa (as you probably know), you need to have university-level English that will allow you to do research and write research papers. You could pay someone for tutoring, or get hold of American scientific magazines (if those are around. Maybe there are old ones in libraries?), also things like "National Geographic", and study specialized or advanced vocabulary.

Are you allowed to travel abroad? Maybe in Turkey you could get a variety of American magazines or textbooks.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:51 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,589 times
Quote:

It isn't popular here either. I have actually never seen someone doing it despite Sourhern Italian man being stereotyped as such sometimes. Ifor you did I think people would look at you as a pervert

Old 12-11-2015, 03:59 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:

Finland and Scandinavia are very civilized in this respect. A breath of fresh air. Not surprised you'd never heard of it. Consider yourself fortunate.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:02 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,128,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
I have actually never seen someone doing it despite Sourhern Italian man being stereotyped as such sometimes. Ifor you did I think people would look at you as a pervert
Yeah, the thing is... Dudes usually miss this.
You're not the ones getting catcalled, and when walking down the street you're probably minding your own bussiness, not paying attention to what each and every person is saying to others. To make matters worse, women get catcalled when they're alone, lowering your chances to notice a thing because when you walk with women you never hear strangers comment on her.
Lastly, you might hear a guy honk at a woman, but is this so shocking to you that you will register it in your memory? We may see things but not remember them because we don't care about it.

Last edited by Arigarisha; 12-11-2015 at 05:16 PM..

Old 12-11-2015, 05:15 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Could be anywhere (but North America); Sweden, France, Latin America, maybe even Russia....
I would think most places have a good atmosphere at matches. I don't think I've even seen an argument at a stadium, let alone a fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World