Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2015, 07:21 AM

969 posts, read 822,607 times

Advertisements

I was in two minds about Trump a week or so ago, but reading this thread seems to have made me more sympathetic to him. It doesn't help that many of the criticisms in this thread come across as infantile and simple-minded. Call that ironic.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:22 AM

4,499 posts, read 6,324,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDominion View Post
I was in two minds about Trump a week or so ago, but reading this thread seems to have made me a bit more sympathetic to him. It doesn't help that many of his criticisms in this thread come across as infantile and simple-minded, which is ironic.
To be fair, though, Trump's comments are also quite simple-minded. I mean, he kinda asks for it.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:30 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,855,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
From a Canadian perspective Trump makes for great entertainment.
As a President? does it really matter as all his wild ideas will be filibustered and ultimately voted no by a congress bent on obstruction of his policies.
15 pages in and finally someone who realizes that the office of president is not a position of all-powerful dictatorship, but one with very limited powers. Who is in Congress? Who is being appointed to the Supreme Court? It's a bit puzzling to see people who can't name a single senator from any state transform into political experts when talking about a potential president.

Last edited by hobbesdj; 12-11-2015 at 08:10 AM..

Old 12-11-2015, 07:33 AM

969 posts, read 822,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
To be fair, though, Trump's comments are also quite simple-minded. I mean, he kinda asks for it.
He expresses his ideas using simple terms. That doesn't necessarily mean he is simple minded. Judging by a number articles on his intelligence it looks like people rate his intelligence to be quite high, one quantification puts it around 150.

That gives me an interesting idea on this thread. How about someone express Obama's foreign policies using the Donald's school of no-nonsense straight talk, the way Trump would say it, and see just how much more stupid and reckless they sound.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:37 AM

4,095 posts, read 3,691,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
15 pages in and finally someone who realizes that the office of president is not a position of all-powerful dictatorship, but one with very limited powers. Who is in Congress? Who is being appointed to the Supreme Court? It's a bit puzzling to see eople who can't name a single senator from any state transform into political experts when talking about a potential president.
Limited or controlled power but when it comes to world influence, a series of offensive words from a head of state can cause untold tension & consequences around the planet. Especially when it comes the head of the "Free" world.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 12-11-2015 at 07:47 AM..

Old 12-11-2015, 07:53 AM

182 posts, read 164,846 times
Quote:
He expresses his ideas using simple terms. That doesn't necessarily mean he is simple minded. Judging by a number articles on his intelligence it looks like people rate his intelligence to be quite high, one quantification puts it around 150.

That gives me an interesting idea on this thread. How about someone express Obama's foreign policies using the Donald's school of no-nonsense straight talk, the way Trump would say it, and see just how much more stupid and reckless they sound.
Oh come on! Saying that all Muslims should be banned from the US is ridiculous! It implies that ALL Muslims are risk of being terrorist murderers. Only 2% of terrorist attacks are committed by Muslims yet the US needs to close the borders to Muslims because apparently they will slay people as soon as they get to the good old US!

Maybe Donald Trump should plead with the US government to stop using drones and lying through their teeth about the situation in the Middle East not to mention their domestic problems..

Old 12-11-2015, 07:59 AM

4,499 posts, read 6,324,076 times
Quote:

Frankly, I really don't think that he is stupid. He is a freaking genius. He knows that he can say pretty much everything and the simpletons will applaud him.
It's pretty much like in the video of Dr. Martin Ssempa. You don't really know if it's satire or serious. I mean, it feels exactly like the populist/far-right parties here in Europe. Just a bit bigger and louder.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:08 AM

277 posts, read 400,452 times
Quote:
Somehow I sense macroeconomics may not be your forte.
I know, what a pretty dumb thing to say. One of the reasons you have such discord between mainstream news media and the general public in the USA, ergo one of the reasons for Trump's popularity in challenging that mindset, is because the public are tired of being constantly spoonfed the "everything is awesome" rhetoric regarding the economy that bears little resemblance to reality.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:13 AM

5,016 posts, read 7,415,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post
Donald Trump should not be the next President

I'm just desperately hoping the majority of people wouldn't want to have a beer with Trump.
Me too!

I'm no fan of any of our politicians and how corrupt they are...but Trump is not the answer.
He'd have us isolated and get WWIII started in no time

Old 12-11-2015, 08:16 AM

14,249 posts, read 17,880,904 times
Trump is doing two things:

One ... he is playing to a certain audience in the Republican Party and on the right wing of American politics and they are loving it.

Two ... he is setting the agenda for the Republican primaries and keeping his opponents unbalanced and constantly striving to respond to him.

The idea that Trump actually believes some of the stuff he comes out with or that he might implement it if elected is laughable. If Trump does get the GOP nomination he will move so fast towards the center that all we will see is the dust trail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.