Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2016, 08:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDominion View Post
Perhaps the fact that you seem to assume I care how Bush compares to Obama?
That wasn't saying anything about views on Trump.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:35 PM

531 posts, read 594,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
And Trump, a 1%er with inherited wealth, sketchy business dealings, the KKK thing, media icon of 30+ years... he's not "establishment"? He's doing quite a snow job on his supporters. What do they expect him to do to destroy "The Establishment" once he's in office? That's the mystery to me.
You're still not getting it. It's to do with the politico-media concept and has little to do with your net worth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politico-media_complex

Old 02-28-2016, 08:41 PM

969 posts, read 825,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That wasn't saying anything about views on Trump.
In context (paraphrased);

A: Think Trump can get two terms?
B: Well Obama got two terms despite being a walking catastrophe, so anything is possible.
C: Many would say the same about Bush.

You're either assuming I'm pro-Bush based on my comments about Trump, or your comment has no context and is a pointless non sequitur. As many people have pointed out, again and again (and again), the Trump rally is about a rebellion against the whole political system. Not just against the leftist arm of the bipartisan system.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:45 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
In context (paraphrased);

A: Think Trump can get two terms?
B: Well Obama got two terms despite being a walking catastrophe, so anything is possible.
C: Many would say the same about Bush.

You either assume I'm pro-Bush or pro-Republican based on my comments about Trump, or your comment has no context is a pointless non sequitur.
Yes, I assumed you were based on your comments on Obama not Trump; which was a bad assumption. But I was objecting to your characterization here, which wasn't about you specifically (what was your above quote have to do with the below?!)

Quote:
Maybe you can start with 'non-bipartisan', seeing as you're implying that being pro-Trump means being pro-Republican.
I don't think being pro-Trump in general means being pro-Republican.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:19 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,939,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I don't think being pro-Trump in general means being pro-Republican.
Consider me your living, breathing proof of that.

It's sad, though, that it has become so illiberal in our morbid, PC culture to say "Americans first" as a citizen of the United States. It's apparently some kind of moral equivalent to white supremacy or whatever?

I have loved reading this thread, I must say--President Trump just sounds better and better.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:10 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
You're still not getting it. It's to do with the politico-media concept and has little to do with your net worth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politico-media_complex
Trump exploits that politico-media-complex, definitely. Like by participating in The Apprentice, doing his showboat routine at debates, etc. He makes a mockery of calcified processes. His supporters eat it up, and he's just tapping into a discontent and anger that's been there for a long time.

He didn't start the decline of 20C media institutions, they're well on their way to imploding. The internet's been going strong since the early 1990s. Newspapers are shutting down across the U.S. and globally. People are cutting the cable TV cord. Trump isn't leading the way in this phenomenon, he's just following it. He has a huge team of media advisors coming up with ways for him to better reach all these audience segments who are most likely to find him "relatable", to use marketing jargon.

He isn't subversive in that sense. He's not truly an "outsider". He won't do anything to empower the little guy. He's still a rich, kkk-loving orange guy in a suit that costs more than your car.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:12 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Consider me your living, breathing proof of that.

It's sad, though, that it has become so illiberal in our morbid, PC culture to say "Americans first" as a citizen of the United States. It's apparently some kind of moral equivalent to white supremacy or whatever?

I have loved reading this thread, I must say--President Trump just sounds better and better.
"Americans first"? He's really getting out the black vote now?

Old 02-29-2016, 06:45 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,589 times
Quote:
I don't see any great choices facing Americans in this election. It's like, Put a Knife in the Toaster, or Eat a Bullet. Check one.
Kasich and Sanders seem decent candidates. They obviously have ideas on certain matters who are extreme to the point of not standing a chance of being passed by the Congress anyway but they certainly stand out in both the Democratic and Republican camp

Old 02-29-2016, 06:51 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,589 times
Quote:
And Trump, a 1%er with inherited wealth, sketchy business dealings, the KKK thing, media icon of 30+ years... he's not "establishment"? He's doing quite a snow job on his supporters. What do they expect him to do to destroy "The Establishment" once he's in office? That's the mystery to me.
He is the Establishment but people don't seem to understand them, maybe the only way to stop people from thinking of him as someone who's going against the establishment would be having the GOP to publicly endorse him.

Quote:
So you see him as a 3rd party candidate, or an independent? Even though he's trying to get onto the Republican ballot? There are conservative commentators already saying that the party could split in two, but I'm not sure how realistic that is.
The longer this ****show goes the more are the chances of Republican delegates refusing to endorse Trump and him running as a 3rd party candidate, of him being nominated and Bloomberg running as a 3rd party candidate or of the Republican party splitting in two

Old 02-29-2016, 07:37 AM

969 posts, read 825,751 times
Quote:
Trump exploits that politico-media-complex, definitely. Like by participating in The Apprentice, doing his showboat routine at debates, etc. He makes a mockery of calcified processes. His supporters eat it up, and he's just tapping into a discontent and anger that's been there for a long time.

He didn't start the decline of 20C media institutions, they're well on their way to imploding. The internet's been going strong since the early 1990s. Newspapers are shutting down across the U.S. and globally. People are cutting the cable TV cord. Trump isn't leading the way in this phenomenon, he's just following it. He has a huge team of media advisors coming up with ways for him to better reach all these audience segments who are most likely to find him "relatable", to use marketing jargon.

He isn't subversive in that sense. He's not truly an "outsider". He won't do anything to empower the little guy. He's still a rich, kkk-loving orange guy in a suit that costs more than your car.
You've clearly no idea what the politicomedia complex is. Someone's even linked an article that explains the idea, yet still non comprendre. It's not as if I expected any better, so no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World