U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 01:51 PM

64 posts, read 50,906 times

Advertisements

I need understood America's racial obsession

Dichotomies of countries into black and white and then obsessing and fighting over it.... honestly GET OVER THE RACE THING ALREADY AMERICA!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 03:24 PM

142 posts, read 116,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
London is pretty much a White city, with some non-Whites here and there. White British make already 45! Other Whites another 15-20%. Blacks 7%, Indians 7%. White town!!!
New York is much more diverse.
Have you ever been to London? London is up there with NYC as most diverse city on this planet.

Some non whites here and there:dd this is hillarious really.

Today probably little more than half of London is ,, white,, let say people of european origin. Huge majority of non British white are 1st or 2nd generation immigrants, that means they speak other languages at home and are strongly attached to their ancestral countries, which is totally different to NYC non hispanic whites who are 3rd, 4th, 5th generation and are mostly monolingual English speakers and heavily Americanized. If you count in non hispanic whites and AfroAmericans you end up with similar % of NYC being Americanized people and only English speakers as what is share of white British people in London with rest of the city belonging to the diversity (majority speaking other languages and being really culturally different not belonging to mainstream US or British culture)

NYC-most non hispanic whites and AfroAmericans are americanized and speaking only English. Rest of the city are Latinos (Puerto Ricans,, Dominicans, Mexicans, Ecuadorians,, Colombians and so on), Asians (Chinese, South Asians, Filipinos, Koreans and so on), non hispanic Caribbean (Jamaica,, Haiti, Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana) with some newly arrived Europeans (mostly Eastern Europe) and people who still remember their culture and language like some Italian-Americans, Polish-Americans and so on who are 4th, 5th gemeration.
Some Africans, some people from MENA region, whole world is there. I forgot on huge Jewish community in NYC

London has many Europeans (Poles, Irish,, Germans, French,, Italians, Lithuanians, Romanians, Greeks, Turks, Portuguese and so on), huge South Asian share, from Americas mostly Caribbean (Jamaica), those people are also 3rd, 4th generation, Americans,, Brazilians and so on.
Many Africans (Nigeria, Somalia, Kenya,, Ghana, Uganda,South Africa (mostly whites)), descent other Asian communities (Chinese, Filippinos, Iranians) and also growing % from arab world.

Both cities are extremely diverse, especially if you realize white British and Americanized non hispanic whites and AfricanAmericans are in both cases in minority

Old 09-04-2016, 04:06 PM

2,566 posts, read 1,550,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britney-Melbrooke View Post
I need understood America's racial obsession

Dichotomies of countries into black and white and then obsessing and fighting over it.... honestly GET OVER THE RACE THING ALREADY AMERICA!
Americans talk about race. Europeans engage in racism in ways the US never dreamed of. I got quite a lesson on racism during my life in the UK. It was frankly disgusting.

As for communities being divided in New York or any large immigrant city, it is not due to distrust, it is due to familiarity for the new comers who arrive. It is self imposed segregation. Once they are confident enough to move to the suburbs, they get absorbed without much ado. The suburbs around New York are filled with Latinos, Koreans, Indians, Russians and pretty much everybody else. Income stratifies the suburbs, not background.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:52 PM

9,406 posts, read 7,993,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Do you even have any idea how mixed New York is? Hispanics and most Black Americans are already themselves a mixed-race people. They also account together for over half of New York City, when we add couples who intermarry between Blacks, Hispanics, Whites and Asian, etc.... It becomes incomparable. You cannot compare New York with cities in Central or South America where it is similar or more. No city in Europe, even London comes close. Many Blacks in London are African who are purely African or Black(e.g. Nigerian, Ghanian, Kenyan, Zimbabwean, etc...) who intermixed with Whites there, but in America, most Blacks are already of a mixed background, there's always a White man somewhere in their genetic line. Hispanics are even more mixed varying a White Spaniard-like to a Black African-like to a Native-American or even looking Japanese. It's all mixed, then there are all sorts of Jewish, Armenian, Arab, Polynesians, Bolivians, Lebanese all that mixed-up. "Get out of here", New York and America as a whole is more mixed than most countries in the world with the exception of Brasil. London? Come on!
You are absolutely clueless in everthing you say, you talk like somebody from 1950! Absolutley clueless!

Old 09-04-2016, 04:54 PM

9,406 posts, read 7,993,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
I'm guessing Saxonwold hasn't spent a great amount of time in London. Trust me, it's diverse and people mix very well. My neighbours to our left are Turkish, then Chinese, to our right a Punjabi family. Across the road we have an African family living next door to some Polish. My neighbourhood, in North London, is the largest Cypriot community outside of Cyprus and two of my nieces who are half-portuguese have partners from this community. My dentist is African and my GP is Indian. Our gardener is Russian. A good third of my colleagues are Indian or Pakistani. My best friend who is mixed-race is married to an Armenian. This is just in my immediate sphere and I've honestly not scratched the surface, but I'm certain most Londoners would have a similar story.

Now I'm not sure how London compares exactly but I think a city which arguably has a good couple of millennia on NYC, and has seen a huge variety of people (through invasion or immigration) settle and assimilate, has a very strong case! Certainly stronger than a relatively young country as Brazil anyway!!
He's never even been close! He thinks the UK is full of ginger 'Anglo Saxons!'.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:11 PM

17,391 posts, read 20,188,620 times
My school district, >12k from midtown Manhattan, had a student body with over 80 native languages drawn from an area of just 10km squared.

That is reasonably diverse by anyone's reckoning I should think.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:27 PM
AFP

7,334 posts, read 5,192,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
He's never even been close! He thinks the UK is full of ginger 'Anglo Saxons!'.

He's searching for a ginger sanctuary.

He attended a gingerphobic school! Poor fellow is scarred for life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4xEXqecyFw

Old 09-04-2016, 07:30 PM

246 posts, read 302,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraza9 View Post
I can play that game. In NYC; on my apartment floor I have neighbors from Pakistan, India, England, and Iran; on my team at work there are: 2 Indians, 1 Guyanese, 5 Pakistanis, 1 Jamaican, 1 Antiguan, 1 Colombian, 2 Dominacans, 2 Chinese, 2 Koreans, 2 Egyptians (1 Copt 1 Muslim) and 10 normal White Americans. Pound for Pound, NYC is as diverse as London when you apply random personal metrics like these. My doctor is Russian, my local bodega guys are from Yemen, my daughters teacher is Puerto Rican, the apartment handy man is Bangladeshi etc etc.
Quoting myself since my post was lost at the bottom of page 1. London and NYC are peers when it comes to diversity.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:00 PM

974 posts, read 829,361 times
What are predominately white countries becoming so diverse? It's funny, most people say whites are racist but who else lets tons of non-white, 3rd world people in their countries? Whites, who else?

Old 09-05-2016, 04:50 AM

1,274 posts, read 1,039,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
I got quite a lesson on racism during my life in the UK. It was frankly disgusting.
How long ago were you here, may I ask? Despite some post-Brexit pockets of violence and a few hate-crimes here and there, racism in London isn't much of an issue these days, relatively speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World