Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 02:12 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
For those that like to travel around the world, do you eat street foods? Particularly in places like Asia or Latin America where vendors cook meals right there in street stalls (not restaurants).

I might once in a while but am a bit phobic about the hygienic levels of these stalls. The cost is cheaper and the taste can be great, but not something I usually do.
I think street food is the best, because usually it is prepared by families with family recipes and no pretention. I unfortunately have not been to Asia but have heard that street food in countries like Singapore, India and Vietnam are amazing. Can't wait to try them.

I've heard Peruvian street food is good too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 07:51 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,535,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Caveat: Locals always build up an immunity to the strains of bacteria or viruses in these foods. It's acquired and easily lost without constant exposure to these foods.
Then it would be the exact same scenario in a restaurant anyways. I just don't see the difference. I've eaten street food everywhere, and it only ever got me sick once in Mexico City. And it was worth it.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:02 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times
My guess is that, in places like Thailand, street food is probably more sanitary than anything you'd get in the typical restaurant. The street food vendors typically buy fresh ingredients every morning, and they cook it while you stand there and watch.

I've never been sick from street food, but in Thailand I've been sick three or four or five times from food eaten in restaurants.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:26 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
For those that like to travel around the world, do you eat street foods? Particularly in places like Asia or Latin America where vendors cook meals right there in street stalls (not restaurants).
Well, if you want to fall sick easily then you go for the street food in most of those places.

Otherwise, stick with the higher quality restaurants.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:28 AM

844 posts, read 1,063,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Mexican street food really is so goood, it makes my mouth water just thinking about it. Especially tacos. Unfortunately you can't find tacos that good here in the US.
Lol I just ate but, I'm craving tacos soooooo bad...

Old 01-11-2016, 08:29 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
I've had loads of street food here in China, of varying quality and flavor. Some really excellent noodles and rice, before... and some other stuff that was pretty bleh.

It's easy to figure out whose food is safe and whose isn't... just look at where all the locals are eating. Since most of the vendors come to the same area every day, they probably have a good read on who is using gutter oil, and who isn't.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:06 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well, if you want to fall sick easily then you go for the street food in most of those places.

Otherwise, stick with the higher quality restaurants.
My guess is that you don't travel much? You have it exactly backwards.

To be sure, the top quality restaurants will probably have fresh food. Maybe. But if I had to gamble, I'd take street food any day, particularly if the vendor is busy. That means the food probably hasn't been sitting around too long. I have yet to be sick from street food, anywhere.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:12 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Only if I can be pretty sure it doesn't have gluten in.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:37 AM

451 posts, read 1,324,395 times
I say "yes" to street food in Asia and Latin-America,, but just use common sense discretion. Just because it is street food does not automatically make it unsafe. I've had street food and have not gotten sick from it, thus far. Conversely, just because the food is prepared by an established restaurant does not make it automatically safe. Look at the recent example of the restaurant chain Chiptole here in the US. I like Chiptole, but am not shocked it could happen at a chain restaurant.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:42 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
As mentioned, streetfood vendors rarely store food for any considerable amount of time. Therefore there is a lower chance of food being spoiled. I have seen the walk-in freezer of many brick-and-mortar restaurants filled with old, moldy food, or foods that have been sitting in bain maries or chafing dishes for days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World