Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2016, 11:09 AM

25,040 posts, read 27,807,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I didn't see that growing up, maybe it depends on region. My family and circle of friends is all mixed up, and that includes Whites.
Rosa, don't confuse what you see in your own circle with the whole country. Whites marry other whites more than 90% of the time in the whole US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 11:33 AM

24,205 posts, read 24,661,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Ethnic-American men need to stop measuring their self worth on the opinions of white women. That's just stupid, and racist thinking.
I tried to bring this forward some time ago, but how do you feel (or anyone for that matter) about the thing that I want a serious relationship with a white woman, as I want my children to look like me? I can date people of any ethnicity, that is no problem, but to reproduce, I want the mother to be white. Ok, never say never, but I have a strong preference. Do you think this is racist and discriminating?

Old 02-23-2016, 12:00 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,148,507 times
One thing Chinese students miss out on is something important I learned from a 50 year old Japanese executive.

He told me any day you will remember for the rest of your life is a very special day so try to have as many as possible. They are very special and hard to find.

He believed that regular days at the office and days spent in library although important just merged together over time into nothingness.

It also is not a subject of conversations and makes you boring over time to do the same school work and studying over and over again. For instance we had a 10 day training seminar many years ago. Really boring work stuff. What was subjects covered who knows. But we did in out west in a hotel and boss had us stay the weekend we went to a dude ranch, went horseback riding, watched sunset at top of mountain on horseback near a rattle snake dinner, then down for a big BBQ with cowboys. Next day we did a volunteer day and I choose to help do a party for foster kids with a group of co-workers then we went out that night and we rode a mechanical bull.

I could not name hardly any classes I took in school, tell you my GPA or SAT score. But parties, basketball games, road trips, girl friends, hook ups, rock concerts many I remember every detail and they pop up in your head.

For instance last night I was watching Entertainment tonight and the 30th anniversary of move Stand By Me was being mentioned and they interviewed Corey Feldman one of the stars who was a regular at my friends bar and a real jerk in real life. Once I was ribbing him about being a cheapskate and always expecting free drinks and Joe Montana the football player taps me on shoulder and says can I get in "to buy" a beer. Funny times. Guess what I was in a bar I think in grad school and working. What else happened that day who knows. Cant remember anything. I think Asian kids miss out a lot as I should have been in bed as it was a work or school night and all this happened at 4am. My kids think I am nuts as it is so random I met a lot of folks over years. But they are great stories and times.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:10 PM

3,289 posts, read 3,765,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Rosa, don't confuse what you see in your own circle with the whole country. Whites marry other whites more than 90% of the time in the whole US
In my post, I pointed out that it may be a regional thing. This is not just in my circle of friends, you see this in my city and region (Southern California).

To tell you the truth, I don't care who likes who. If 90% of Whites prefer Whites, good for them. We can go on and on about who prefers who until our faces turn red, but you will always find exceptions. I know of WAY too many exceptions.

But, at the end of the day, preferences are very personal.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:24 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,148,507 times
One thing I did find unusual about Chinese women is there is no hang up on sex.

For example I lived in NYC for awhile. I went to a Charity type thing. You know boring. White wine spitzer thing. Anyhow I meet a blonde and she is with a average looking asian girl who obviously is not a club or bar person.

So anyhow the blonde disappears so I take Asian girls number and said will give you a call and we can get together when the two go to next charity party.

So I call her up that next Friday and she says the blonde is out of town. Oh well but asks what I am doing Saturday afternoon, well since winter I said nothing. She said there is an art exhibit at MOMA I have free passes to do you want to go with me. Well I already said I am doing nothing, and she said it is free I take train up to her place, we go to exhibit, mind you this is jeans, sweater, no make up go with friend type day I thought, so we we look at paintings, get a quick bite to eat and I walk her back to her place. She then says I am sure you want to meet up with your friends tonight, want to use bathroom before you leave. Mind you broad daylight, no alcohol, I come out of bathroom and she says I think we have a few minutes before I catch up on work. Literally we did it, almost like a rub and tug type thing. Feeling woozy I am out in street in five minutes. Kinda like an Asian good night kiss. So two weeks pass, I ask hey want to come down grab something to eat near my apt, same again, no make up, she even said it is a weeknight I really need to be home by ten pm. Back to my place, like 8 minutes later she is out on street.

I kinda wished I discovered this earlier. But at same time I did not like it. The civil marriages at city hall for some tops off this weird lack of dating ritual. I swear I think I could have said on date three we marry, you move in, we save rent then make baby. Walt Disney Cinderella Princess movies would be 3 minutes long in this lack of love story. And this girl had a masters degree in Engineering from some top notch school. Even her apt was kinda bland. All practical.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:42 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,656,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
So I call her up that next Friday and she says the blonde is out of town. Oh well but asks what I am doing Saturday afternoon, well since winter I said nothing. She said there is an art exhibit at MOMA I have free passes to do you want to go with me. Well I already said I am doing nothing, and she said it is free I take train up to her place, we go to exhibit, mind you this is jeans, sweater, no make up go with friend type day I thought, so we we look at paintings, get a quick bite to eat and I walk her back to her place. She then says I am sure you want to meet up with your friends tonight, want to use bathroom before you leave. Mind you broad daylight, no alcohol, I come out of bathroom and she says I think we have a few minutes before I catch up on work. Literally we did it, almost like a rub and tug type thing. Feeling woozy I am out in street in five minutes. Kinda like an Asian good night kiss. So two weeks pass, I ask hey want to come down grab something to eat near my apt, same again, no make up, she even said it is a weeknight I really need to be home by ten pm. Back to my place, like 8 minutes later she is out on street.
Kinda ********.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:45 PM

1,274 posts, read 972,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
One thing Chinese students miss out on is something important I learned from a 50 year old Japanese executive.

He told me any day you will remember for the rest of your life is a very special day so try to have as many as possible. They are very special and hard to find.

He believed that regular days at the office and days spent in library although important just merged together over time into nothingness.

It also is not a subject of conversations and makes you boring over time to do the same school work and studying over and over again. For instance we had a 10 day training seminar many years ago. Really boring work stuff. What was subjects covered who knows. But we did in out west in a hotel and boss had us stay the weekend we went to a dude ranch, went horseback riding, watched sunset at top of mountain on horseback near a rattle snake dinner, then down for a big BBQ with cowboys. Next day we did a volunteer day and I choose to help do a party for foster kids with a group of co-workers then we went out that night and we rode a mechanical bull.

I could not name hardly any classes I took in school, tell you my GPA or SAT score. But parties, basketball games, road trips, girl friends, hook ups, rock concerts many I remember every detail and they pop up in your head.

For instance last night I was watching Entertainment tonight and the 30th anniversary of move Stand By Me was being mentioned and they interviewed Corey Feldman one of the stars who was a regular at my friends bar and a real jerk in real life. Once I was ribbing him about being a cheapskate and always expecting free drinks and Joe Montana the football player taps me on shoulder and says can I get in "to buy" a beer. Funny times. Guess what I was in a bar I think in grad school and working. What else happened that day who knows. Cant remember anything. I think Asian kids miss out a lot as I should have been in bed as it was a work or school night and all this happened at 4am. My kids think I am nuts as it is so random I met a lot of folks over years. But they are great stories and times.
That's actually a popular sales technique. People remember experiences and stories, and not facts, however important they might be. So I fully agree with you!

I wouldn't say Asian kids miss out everything but maybe that's how it's reflected as a group. I am Asian by ethnicity, French by education / from an administrative standpoint, and African "by life" (I grew up and lived there for 15 years). I can definitely say that I might be introverted (?) but not to a point where I can't socialize . And you're right, that life story is unique and very nice to share; Everyday you learn something new that helps you to say this story, and to put things into a context that people will remember.

Also some people are just very secretive and unless you're in their inner circle, you don't know who they are. I would say most Asian falls into that category. Very careful people.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:47 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,173,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I tried to bring this forward some time ago, but how do you feel (or anyone for that matter) about the thing that I want a serious relationship with a white woman, as I want my children to look like me? I can date people of any ethnicity, that is no problem, but to reproduce, I want the mother to be white. Ok, never say never, but I have a strong preference. Do you think this is racist and discriminating?
Well, it's discriminating by definition. And it places a high value on racial features. Doesn't really answer the children question

OkCupid and race: Is it racist to date only people of your own race?

Old 02-23-2016, 02:31 PM

8,868 posts, read 8,347,444 times
Quote:
Yeah I think so.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:07 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,820,952 times
Quote:

It depends on the reason why you want your children to look like you. But there is no guarantee they will look like you unless you mean, skin pigmentation. Don't Finns vary in skin pigmenation eye color and eye shape, I'm not trying to be a smart ass but honestly I've seen pictures of some that have Asiatic features.

I married someone of my own ethnic group and my two daughters don't look much like me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World