Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 08:38 AM

69 posts, read 57,461 times

Advertisements

I'm British with Irish relatives in the Republic of Ireland (RoI).

Northern Ireland along with Scotland, Wales and England form the United Kingdom (UK). Anyone born in any part of the UK are called British.

Northern Ireland, at the moment, wants to be in the UK. This may change one day. This is no different to Scotland, Wales or England leaving the UK one day too (although I can't see England and Wales actually deciding to leave the UK - but who knows?)

The RoI has been independent from the UK for nearly a century now. They hit hard times a few years back, but now they have the fastest growing economy in Europe, and they are doing really well. At the moment, it's also election time in the RoI.

I hope this helps with any misunderstandings

Old 02-17-2016, 10:27 AM

439 posts, read 517,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxidize View Post
I'm British with Irish relatives in the Republic of Ireland (RoI).

Northern Ireland along with Scotland, Wales and England form the United Kingdom (UK). Anyone born in any part of the UK are called British.

Quote:
Northern Ireland, at the moment, wants to be in the UK
. This may change one day. This is no different to Scotland, Wales or England leaving the UK one day too (although I can't see England and Wales actually deciding to leave the UK - but who knows?)

The RoI has been independent from the UK for nearly a century now. They hit hard times a few years back, but now they have the fastest growing economy in Europe, and they are doing really well. At the moment, it's also election time in the RoI.

I hope this helps with any misunderstandings
Did you mean that NI wants to leave the UK or wants to stay as part of it?

Old 02-17-2016, 10:39 AM

69 posts, read 57,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post
Did you mean that NI wants to leave the UK or wants to stay as part of it?
At the moment, the majority in Northern Ireland wants to be in the UK.

Northern Ireland is financially supported by other parts of the UK, and the RoI can't currently afford to support them. So, I can see NI staying in the UK in the meantime.

Last edited by Oxidize; 02-17-2016 at 11:45 AM..

Old 02-17-2016, 04:57 PM

14,808 posts, read 11,877,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitchyou View Post
Does anyone here think Ireland should be independent from England considering their history (potato famine, etc.)? Why or why not? I think they should! What are the pros and cons of this happening? If feel if America can escape England's control, then so can Ireland....although..they are a lot more closer to England than we are, so that might cause a problem with being such a short distance from each other. Maybe if Ireland needed some help, America would be there to assist.
Are you for real? Are you just trying to create (yet another) anti British post? How about starting a thread elsewhere, perhaps you could go to the US forums and ask 'does anyone here think that Hawaii should be independent from the USA'? After all Slavery and Nazism and all that!

Old 02-20-2016, 10:18 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,096,394 times
I agree, there is another troll in the UK sight, saying we invaded France! ( Ireland is another matter, but is complicated)

Old 02-20-2016, 10:30 AM

4,454 posts, read 4,586,124 times
And as an American perhaps I'd suggest the future relationship of Britain and Ireland can pass on as we now have with Britain ....I'd say a 'friendly rivalry'. Our previous animosities have been buried. Of course time helped that.

But I have to say I wish we had a football league to compete with the EPL! The Brits done good there...;-)...

Old 02-20-2016, 01:09 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,096,394 times
I agree with the Premier League, I just wish there were more young British players ( and Irish, of course!) coming through. I switch off when Chelsea play Man City and the only British players are Gary Cahill, Joe Hart and Raheem Sterling. There should be at least 50% homegrown. Again the Brits and Irish who mix in my circles do not talk about the potato famine and evil England, more Gogglebox
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World