Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 08:44 PM

343 posts, read 313,813 times

Advertisements

What would happen if Native Americans from here and Aboriginals from Australia met? Would they get along and be able to co-exist? Specifically what area of Asia did they migrate from to get to their respective re-locations?

Also, I wonder if America never really took in people from other countries at all, would it eventually be kind of almost be like a "second Australia" ? What would it take to create another Australia on this planet? Do not mean to sound dumb or offend, i am just curious is all and trying to understand!

Old 02-12-2016, 11:34 PM

5,021 posts, read 7,428,815 times
I am sure they would get along eventually, though cultural differences will no doubt cause some tension between the two groups. My understanding is that Australian Aboriginals are a far older culture than Native Americans, they had been in Australia for about 50,000 years before the Europeans Showed up. Most historians seem to think Australian Aboriginals arrived via Indonesia and are genetically similar to the oldest native tribes of Indonesian and India.

I am not sure about your second paragraph, Australia has had mass migration from the non English speaking world for well over 60 years now. Though yes it was predominately British and Irish before that.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:40 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,199,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitchyou View Post
What would happen if Native Americans from here and Aboriginals from Australia met? Would they get along and be able to co-exist? Specifically what area of Asia did they migrate from to get to their respective re-locations?

Also, I wonder if America never really took in people from other countries at all, would it eventually be kind of almost be like a "second Australia" ? What would it take to create another Australia on this planet? Do not mean to sound dumb or offend, i am just curious is all and trying to understand!
They would get along much better than either of them did with Europeans, as neither had an idea of land ownership.
The second part of your question make little sense. Where would be the land for another Australia?

Old 02-13-2016, 01:20 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,316,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post

I am not sure about your second paragraph, Australia has had mass migration from the non English speaking world for well over 60 years now. Though yes it was predominately British and Irish before that.
I wouldn't underestimate the impact of groups like the Chinese, Japanese, Germans, Swiss etc in the 19th century either. There are plenty of cultural strands to Australia from those groups. Things like "Waltzing Matilda", Chinese restaurants in most small country towns, the mixed race faces you see in the NT; even our highest mountain is named after a Polish patriot. In 19th century WA, for example, places like Broome were very significant economically; even if a lot of Chinese and a large proportion of Japanese returned home after striking it rich or losing it all in the gold rushes and pearling industries, there are still a lot of reminders of their presence in most parts of Australia.

I suppose the descendants of all those groups became part of the melting pot so did't stand out as distinctive communities after one to two generations.

Last edited by Bakery Hill; 02-13-2016 at 01:59 AM..

Old 02-13-2016, 08:30 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,962,695 times
Quote:

I think it depends. Native American tribes varied SIGNIFICANTLY between tribes. Some would co-exist with neighbors, and some wouldn't. I'd imagine Aboriginals might be similarly diverse?

I think these two terms are WAY TOO GENERIC. It's kind of like asking if Europeans and Asians met...and anyone familiar with Europeans or Asians, would be aware of just how incredibly different UK can be from Switzerland, for example. Or how different Thailand is from North Korea.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:01 AM

17,919 posts, read 24,174,688 times
They would see each other as foreign as either group found Europeans.

So they would either fight or reluctantly cooperate just like any other two groups of humans.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:42 PM

4,869 posts, read 10,468,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
They would get along much better than either of them did with Europeans, as neither had an idea of land ownership.
The second part of your question make little sense. Where would be the land for another Australia?
Depends on which Native American culture, but certainly most did have concepts of land ownership, just different concepts, such as rights to use of the land rather then the idea that it was actually "theirs". Wars were fought between groups all over the continent for millenia over territory. The Australian Aborigines, too, have concepts of territory and ownership, but see themselves as integrally a part of the land and that the meaning of their lives was to be custodians of that land through the performing of rituals, and that individuals had exclusive ownership of the mythological stories and ceremonies related to the land, which were and are still in many cases jealously guarded.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:26 PM

5,021 posts, read 7,428,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think it depends. Native American tribes varied SIGNIFICANTLY between tribes. Some would co-exist with neighbors, and some wouldn't. I'd imagine Aboriginals might be similarly diverse?.
That is correct, pre European Australia was a loose collection of 250 indigenous tribes speaking almost the same number of different languages. Unfortunately these days Australia is a major source of endangered or nearly extinct languages.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:28 PM

964 posts, read 987,097 times
Quote:

They do meet. They organize conferences and gatherings and invite each other. I'm not sure what your question is.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:59 PM

733 posts, read 933,614 times
I'm Native American.

I had an Australian Aboriginal friend when I was in middle school, though I didn't think that he was. I just figured he was African American, it's not like I expect to meet Australian Aborigines in Los Angeles, African American was much more likely. I didn't find out until some years later.

We got along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World