Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 07:46 AM

370 posts, read 654,316 times

Advertisements

If you believe astrology it pretty much says you are not a smart person.lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 07:52 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloimage View Post
If you believe astrology it pretty much says you are not a smart person.lol.
Just like believing in Santa, tooth fairies... or God.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:42 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,442,805 times
How I see Horoscopes:
http://starecat.com/content/wp-conte...in-any-way.jpg

I really can't stand this kind of stuffs. Anyway, here it is quite easy to see an horoscope section on newspapers, magazines or in some TV programs. The most of people I know don't take it seriously and read their horoscope only for fun, I've never meet someone with a real fixation for astrology.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:06 AM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Just like believing in Santa, tooth fairies... or God.
Well, there is still some possibility that a god made the universe/existence.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:10 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,127,697 times
Quote:
Can't say it's represantative of all of Spain, but I'm quite familiar with Barcelona, and I was baffled how many tarot mysticism fortune-telling shops there were. Such a business would never work up here.
Sure, I bet the amount of superstitious people living in Spain far surpasses that of Finland, and it'll be enough to sustain mystic shops, but I still think most of us are on the skeptic side of things.
Also this kind of things has more chances of prospering on touristy places. People with all sorts of beliefs will visit the city, yeah? So why not open a business and satisfy their need for mysticism.

Last edited by Arigarisha; 02-27-2016 at 09:34 AM..

Old 02-27-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well, there is still some possibility that a god made the universe/existence.
No, there isn't. God might exist, but he/she did definitely not create the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post
Sure, I bet the amount of superstitious people living in Spain far surpasses that of Finland, and it'll be enough to sustain mystic shops, but I still think most of us are on the skeptic side of things.
Also this kind of things has more chances of prospering on touristy places. People with all sorts of beliefs will visit the city, yeah? So why not open a business and satisfy their need for mysticism.
Surely true. But Protestant theology says that there is only god and only god and only god, and Jesus. As Protestants don't even recognise (new) saints I think it's harder for us to believe in mysticism than in Catholicism, which is filled with mysticism. An average Spaniard is surely as irreligious as an average Finn, maybe even more, but these tarot shops were something that I noticed during a 12-year span from my first to last visit.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:06 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
Quote:
No, there isn't. God might exist, but he/she did definitely not create the universe.

Surely true. But Protestant theology says that there is only god and only god and only god, and Jesus. As Protestants don't even recognise (new) saints I think it's harder for us to believe in mysticism than in Catholicism, which is filled with mysticism. An average Spaniard is surely as irreligious as an average Finn, maybe even more, but these tarot shops were something that I noticed during a 12-year span from my first to last visit.
There is a growing number of people that believe in human spirit but not in a soul, religion or a Deity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_spirit

"In the models of Daniel A. Helminiak and Bernard Lonergan, human spirit is considered to be the mental functions of awareness, insight, understanding, judgement and other reasoning powers. It is distinguished from the separate component of psyche which comprises the entities of emotion, images, memory and personality.[1]

John Teske views human spirit as a social construct representing the qualities of purpose and meaning which transcend the individual human.[2]"

Old 02-27-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
There is a growing number of people that believe in human spirit but not in a soul, religion or a Deity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_spirit

"In the models of Daniel A. Helminiak and Bernard Lonergan, human spirit is considered to be the mental functions of awareness, insight, understanding, judgement and other reasoning powers. It is distinguished from the separate component of psyche which comprises the entities of emotion, images, memory and personality.[1]

John Teske views human spirit as a social construct representing the qualities of purpose and meaning which transcend the individual human.[2]"
Well a spirit or soul is a different thing. There I can be quite certain that something like that does simply not exist. It's only a fabrication of people disturbed by our selfish mortality and to make us feel better. The concept of the soul or spirit is the ultimate creation of our egocentricism.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:22 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
Quote:
Well a spirit or soul is a different thing. There I can be quite certain that something like that does simply not exist. It's only a fabrication of people disturbed by our selfish mortality and to make us feel better. The concept of the soul or spirit is the ultimate creation of our egocentricism.
I don't know it was something I once pondered on more frequently it no longer is of primary concern to me however it is something I occasionally think about. But yes it could be explained by rationalization due to fear of death.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:23 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,327 times
We have it in all magazines and some newspapers but not too many people take it seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World