Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 11:03 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times

Advertisements

The impact of the KKK is fairly insignificant where I live in California. They're pretty much on the fringe and viewed as white trash pond scum even by many blue collar white people. They have more inluence in other states they have no power in the West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 01:09 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
This point is moot, i have never called for an end of free speech or even a large restriction. I don't see how Martin Luther King's speeches would have been silenced in any way given that he preached non violence and use of pacific means to reach equality.

I don't want my overlords to choose anything either but independent courts should intervene when a someone's (especially if influential) speech threatens any category of individuals
Nobody ever sees how their law is going to affect society. That's the tragedy of authoritarianism.

Let me ask you something. Would you have pleaded against free speech to ban Martin Luther (non-King) from nailing those theses on that church' door to possibly save millions of lives in the years to come?

Would you have pleaded in favor of free speech to allow people to speak up about what was going on in the Nazi death camps to possibly save millions of lives?

Who exactly do you think you are to think you can decide what others can say or not?

Old 03-14-2016, 02:09 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
The impact of the KKK is fairly insignificant where I live in California. They're pretty much on the fringe and viewed as white trash pond scum even by many blue collar white people. They have more inluence in other states they have no power in the West.

It's pretty insignificant everywhere. The most optimistic numbers for active Klan membership, of all the various groups, is under 10000.

Now, you do have Morris Dees of the Southern Poverty Law Center who breathlessly declares that the Klan is a continuing threat. Ok Morris.

I do know a few members, or rather former members. I say former because they are all 20 years older than me, which puts them in their 80s. The youngest member I know, strangely enough he's in PA, is 75 or thereabouts.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:11 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It's pretty insignificant everywhere. The most optimistic numbers for active Klan membership, of all the various groups, is under 10000.

Now, you do have Morris Dees of the Southern Poverty Law Center who breathlessly declares that the Klan is a continuing threat. Ok Morris.

I do know a few members, or rather former members. I say former because they are all 20 years older than me, which puts them in their 80s. The youngest member I know, strangely enough he's in PA, is 75 or thereabouts.
In Ca the Aryan brotherhood and Nazi Low riders have more power than the KKK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aryan_Brotherhood

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_Lowriders

Old 03-14-2016, 04:32 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
Nobody ever sees how their law is going to affect society. That's the tragedy of authoritarianism.

Let me ask you something. Would you have pleaded against free speech to ban Martin Luther (non-King) from nailing those theses on that church' door to possibly save millions of lives in the years to come?

Would you have pleaded in favor of free speech to allow people to speak up about what was going on in the Nazi death camps to possibly save millions of lives?

Who exactly do you think you are to think you can decide what others can say or not?
I don't this law would have affected society in away apart from extremist organizations such as KKK and the ones that have been listed in the thread. KKK could still exist and have rallies, they just could never incite for any kind of violence, let alone racially motivated ones.

In the same way, the Forza Nuova (neofascist party) exists in Italy and NDAP (neonazis) in Germany without the possibility for them to never go too far in their speeches and to be closely monitored.

Ultimately, Martin Luther King nor the people who spoke about what happened in Nazi camps after the War wouldn't have been condemned in any by a stricter enforcement of hate crimes so your points are moot. I get that you might disagree with my idea but at least appropriate points and comparisons

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

As i said, it's probably my mistake to overestimate the importance of such groups but the fact that they are still given enough attention when their leader announces their support for a Republican candidate shows that although limited they do still have some sort of influence.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:27 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
Why is America not concerned about black panthers that Beyoncé pretty much endorsed them? Not saying it is bad,but I find it really interesting that white people are the only people that seem to not like it when one says their race is the best/ have ANY pride in their race, or find it acceptable. But everyone that isn't white has TONS of pride in their race, and find its acceptable to say their race is the best, and is socially acceptable. Hasn't anyone else noticed this?
The Phrase "white pride" has always been used by white supremacist. When whites are proud in the same way that others are, it's always proud to be Irish, proud to be Italian etc. I always have to wonder about the people who bring this argument up.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Interestingly enough, the stripping of Hate Speech has been one of far right's main battles here in Italy so much that the really small neofascist party Forza Nuova (who gained 0,25% in the last elections) made it one of their main fights. One could say that racists could be easily recognized as those who want to erase the current Hate Speech law , anyway the current laws will punish someone only in quite extreme cases or whenever a speech that may be violence inducing is repeated

Maybe the current European system fits Europe best while the American fits the USA best
Makes perfect sense. In the US, racism has always been about keeping people separate where as in Europe historically, it has been more about wiping out the less desirable. Europe has a much stronger reason for banning hate speech.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Not the entire west. They do have more influence in places like Idaho, Oregon and Arizona.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:39 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,334 times
Quote:
You'd be surprised, they are alot more present in CA than you think. I thought the same until I started working in an area where White supremacy is quite strong. Now they have fuel to come out more and be more vocal.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:42 AM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
You'd be surprised, they are alot more present in CA than you think. I thought the same until I started working in an area where White supremacy is quite strong. Now they have fuel to come out more and be more vocal.
Must be Santee, Ca.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World