Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 10:30 AM

2,975 posts, read 2,800,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I would rather the racists expose themselves for who they are than have them walking among us spreading their filthy message through less transparent, insidious means.
The problem is that you give them the opportunity of organizing themselves, have a (quite limited) political weight, having a media presence as can be seen with how widely reported Duke's and KKK's support to Trump's campaign was as well as letting them spread their racist ideas more easily through boards such as Stormfront

I would prefer having to face 100 lone wolves rather than a well organized army of 1000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 10:38 AM

251 posts, read 202,367 times
I acknowledge your point: the freedom to assemble and the freedom to speak would appear to encourage fascism and racism and enable evilsof the kind you mention. However, it's better to be honest about than to force it underground. Maintaining dialogue forces everyone involved to examine critically what we value, and what kind of place we want to live in, and ultimately who we are.

We cannot deprive a few of the right to speak: frustrating the silenced concentrates toxic passions.

Silencing a given opinion is what fascists do. The organized 1000 face the roar of all humanity in the fullness of time.

Last edited by gelofogo; 03-13-2016 at 10:48 AM..

Old 03-13-2016, 10:43 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,220,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
The problem is that you give them the opportunity of organizing themselves, have a (quite limited) political weight, having a media presence as can be seen with how widely reported Duke's and KKK's support to Trump's campaign was as well as letting them spread their racist ideas more easily through boards such as Stormfront

I would prefer having to face 100 lone wolves rather than a well organized army of 1000
I think you are radically overestimating their organization, power, numbers, and influence. A crowd of morons in white hoods looks big on your little TV screen, but in an ocean of hundreds of millions of Americans, they commit less violence then bros fighting over girls at the local pubs on a Saturday night.

It is actually the lone wolves who commit the most violence. They are lone wolves for a reason. Because they are mentally unstable and even the local racist group (drinking club for low IQ losers) can't stand to be around them.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:46 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,008,075 times
This issue has already been decided.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:53 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,176,846 times
The KKK has been around for years holding insignificant gatherings and parades. People have protested against them, but they have remained mostly marginalized and ignored. With the Trump campaign now gaining these groups as supporters who are campaigning for him, people are definitely more alarmed that the association may legitimize all the white supremacist group and give them a higher profile. That is part of the reason there is now more tension and ensuing violence with his rallies.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:56 AM

2,975 posts, read 2,800,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I think you are radically overestimating their organization, power, numbers, and influence. A crowd of morons in white hoods looks big on your little TV screen, but in an ocean of hundreds of millions of Americans, they commit less violence then bros fighting over girls at the local pubs on a Saturday night.

It is actually the lone wolves who commit the most violence. They are lone wolves for a reason. Because they are mentally unstable and even the local racist group (drinking club for low IQ losers) can't stand to be around them.
I know that but we know which one of the two are more socially dangerous. It may be my mistake to overestimate their presence but the fact that such a group actually is still allowed to have speeches made me think of the differences between the American and European (generalizating here but Western European countries have somewhat similar point of views on the matter) approach and on which one of the two system you would rather apply

Old 03-13-2016, 09:41 PM

6 posts, read 4,697 times
America likes to make its racists open to its public?

Old 03-14-2016, 12:52 AM

977 posts, read 1,005,931 times
Why is America not concerned about black panthers that Beyoncé pretty much endorsed them? Not saying it is bad,but I find it really interesting that white people are the only people that seem to not like it when one says their race is the best/ have ANY pride in their race, or find it acceptable. But everyone that isn't white has TONS of pride in their race, and find its acceptable to say their race is the best, and is socially acceptable. Hasn't anyone else noticed this?

Old 03-14-2016, 02:07 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,240,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
I know that they value freedom of speech but if these speeches incite for violence and racial hate against a good chunk of Americans why don't they modify the First Amendment in a way that this freedom of speech could be denied in extreme cases such as this one?

I don't know if this question fits the General USA Forum or the World Forum, i have decided to post it in the latter but if the mods want to they can move it
If there was no free speech Martin Luther King would have been silenced. You want your overlords to decide for you what is appropriate for your vulnerable ears to hear and that is a sad and dangerous notion.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:47 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,826,456 times
It's obvious that the OP drastically overestimates the importance and influence of the KKK in this day and era. It's a joke really.

If OP is worried about hate speech and sparking racial tensions then he should focus his attention on the Black Lives Matter movement which actually carries quite big influence with it. They are on their way to be the KKK of today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World