Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 01:29 PM

3,973 posts, read 6,778,986 times

Advertisements

Japan is too dangerous to visit.

An earthquake may happen any time during your visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 01:39 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
There are some places I'd LOVE to visit but am too afraid to:
1. Istanbul, Turkey
2. Buenos Aires, Argentina
3. Jordan (I'd love to travel all over)
4. Cape Town, South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Places I want to visit but have safety concerns

1. Turkey
2. Morocco
3. Venezuela
4. New Orleans
5. Cities in Brazil not named Blumenau, Sao Paulo, Florianopolis, or Petropolis
6. Philadelphia, since I read that the scary parts are located quite close to the not scary parts and I love wandering around aimlessly taking pictures and soaking in the city, so it's a concern for me
7. Egypt
8. Cape Town
9. Jerusalem
In that case, I suggest you never step foot outside of your houses.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:21 AM

33 posts, read 57,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Places I want to visit but have safety concerns

1. Turkey
2. Morocco
3. Venezuela
4. New Orleans
5. Cities in Brazil not named Blumenau, Sao Paulo, Florianopolis, or Petropolis
6. Philadelphia, since I read that the scary parts are located quite close to the not scary parts and I love wandering around aimlessly taking pictures and soaking in the city, so it's a concern for me
7. Egypt
8. Cape Town
9. Jerusalem
I don't know about the other cities on your list, but I have been to Rio three times, and I love the city. No one ever hijacked me or shot me with a bazooka. The city has made tremendous improvements in crime, maybe due to the WC and the Olympics. There is still street crime there. My advice would be 1. Take nothing valuable (like your phone) to the beach, 2. Use ATM and credit cards sparingly (get cash from an ATM inside the bank instead, and keep cards and extra cash locked in your hotel safe), and 3. Don't wander around with your phone in your hand and don't carry more cash than you can eat and drink in a day. If you lose your meal money, it won't be the end of the world. If someone does try to rob you, it is probably not in your best interest to fight them for your meal money. That said, I have never been mugged or threatened in Rio, and I even bumble along by myself at night after a few drinks 😳 Also, every time I have been there, there has been some sort of protest going on. So far, I have not seen any violence. I even walked through one in Sao Paulo. Rio is a beautiful and interesting city. Knowing some Portuguese will help a lot, because you can make friends and there is not a lot of English in Rio.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:29 AM

810 posts, read 666,841 times
As each year goes by I think the idea of one day touring Egypt grows smaller and smaller. Violence and anti-US attitudes would keep me out. Mexico is thought to be a violent country ravaged by gangs but it's limited to certain spots and rarely includes lashing out at tourists.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:07 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Japan is too dangerous to visit.

An earthquake may happen any time during your visit.
As may happen on any spot in the world.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:38 PM

122 posts, read 113,202 times
Canada

Old 05-07-2016, 04:20 PM

321 posts, read 399,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Jordan is rather safe for Middle Eastern standards. I have yet to hear of terrorist bombings in Amman (not counting the hotel one in the last decade).

Lebanon and Turkey seem nice, but I do hear of the occasional bombings there.

India, Thailand, Mexico and Brazil rub me off in the wrong way, despite their tourism.

The rest are obvious ones (Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Sudan, etc).
Thailand is totally safe, and does not belong to any list that includes any Latin American or Islamic war-torn country.

Old 05-07-2016, 04:30 PM

321 posts, read 399,818 times
Places I'd like to visit but I'm currently afraid to:
1) Belgium: I don't trust Belgian police nor intelligence, I think they are not resolute enough against the terrorists;
2) most of Latin America: street crime in many cities there is extremely violent, I do not fancy to be killed or injured for a few bucks, especially while on vacation. Most of all, I do not like the sensation of being at risk of assault while wandering a city during a holiday.

Old 05-07-2016, 04:37 PM

8,863 posts, read 8,434,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbury View Post
thailand is totally safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbury View Post
1) belgium: I don't trust belgian police nor intelligence, i think they are not resolute enough against the terrorists
rofl

Old 05-07-2016, 09:38 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak Blak View Post
I don't know about the other cities on your list, but I have been to Rio three times, and I love the city. No one ever hijacked me or shot me with a bazooka. The city has made tremendous improvements in crime, maybe due to the WC and the Olympics. There is still street crime there. My advice would be 1. Take nothing valuable (like your phone) to the beach, 2. Use ATM and credit cards sparingly (get cash from an ATM inside the bank instead, and keep cards and extra cash locked in your hotel safe), and 3. Don't wander around with your phone in your hand and don't carry more cash than you can eat and drink in a day. If you lose your meal money, it won't be the end of the world. If someone does try to rob you, it is probably not in your best interest to fight them for your meal money. That said, I have never been mugged or threatened in Rio, and I even bumble along by myself at night after a few drinks 😳 Also, every time I have been there, there has been some sort of protest going on. So far, I have not seen any violence. I even walked through one in Sao Paulo. Rio is a beautiful and interesting city. Knowing some Portuguese will help a lot, because you can make friends and there is not a lot of English in Rio.
Omg that sounds like the sort of precautions you would take in the bad parts of Lima! I would love to visit it, but only with someone who knows the city well. You can't even take out your phone in places like Copacabana? D:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World