Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 06:40 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
I wanna visit this place but too scared.

Munsu Water Park in North Korea
The only photo of a water park I've ever seen where all the people are standing at attention around the pools, wearing soldiers' uniforms, except for a token handful of patrons who actually are there to use the slides. I wonder if the soldiers are armed, and what purpose their presence serves. Surreal.

Those zany North Koreans, they really put the 'fun' in dysfunctional!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 08:34 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
South Africa is just as bad as Latin America if not worse in certain respects. There is no main Latin American country that has its 2 main cities in the 50 most dangerous list (apart from Venezuela which is in crisis mode).

You won't see Sao Paulo or Rio in that list, nor Mexico city or Guadalajara, nor Bogota or Medellin, nor Buenos Aires although admittedly Rosario Argentina's second city is close to entering the list.

Cape Town, Johannesburg , Durban and Port Elizabeth also have higher homicide rates than anywhere in Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Cuba, DR, Costa Rica, Panama I can go on.

You're completely misinformed in your information.

There are 20 Brazilian cities in the top 44 cities with highest homicide rate.
18 of those Brazilian cities are ranked higher than Johannesburg, Durban and Port Elizabeth.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:05 AM

52 posts, read 69,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post

18 of those Brazilian cities are ranked higher than Johannesburg, Durban and Port Elizabeth.
Travel security risk by country from that list (more accurate than stats which are subject to problems);

Venezuela > high
Honduras > high
El Salvador > high
Mexico > medium/high
Colombia > medium/high
South Africa > medium
Brazil > medium
United States > low
Guatemala > medium/high
Jamaica > medium

http://www.travelriskmap.com/ (select 'travel security risk' in top right-hand corner)

Last edited by Raging Hellfire; 07-26-2016 at 05:15 AM..

Old 07-26-2016, 05:46 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
I'm hesitating between Capetown and Mazatlán (Mexico) for snowbirding next winter, which city is the least dangerous ?

Old 07-31-2016, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda Force View Post
Southern Africa is safe and safer than Latin America. South Africans aren't necessarily the best source to ask, they'll often try to scare you out of visiting (strange people.....very strange).

Much of the rest of Africa is problematic I agree and more dangerous than Latin America, but there are a few like Ghana or Rwanda that are peaceful.
100% spot on and that's very much my experience. It corresponds beautifully with the security map I linked.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I'm hesitating between Capetown and Mazatlán (Mexico) for snowbirding next winter, which city is the least dangerous ?
Cape Town using the security map I quoted above. It's rated medium risk while Mazatlán is rated high.

I have been to Cape Town and it's very safe for tourists, the ghettoes are miles away from the tourist green zone and clearly defined from affluent areas. They're no joke to be sure, but are easily avoided.

I haven't been to Mazatlán so can't give any nuanced info. The fact that it's ranked high risk should be a concern. I thought the drug violence had dropped heavily there but it's still on high risk. Who knows?

Old 07-31-2016, 02:13 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post

To be fair Brazil is probably much more reliable when it comes to homicide statistics as opposed to most African countries. South Africa is one of the most developed sub-saharan countries yet it has a lot of cities on that list too. I bet a lot of more troubled sub-saharan nations would make Brazil seem like Uruguay in comparison, if we had reliable homicide statistics for them

Old 07-31-2016, 02:22 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,679,372 times
Afghanistan
Somalia
Syria
Iraq

Outside of war zones, South Africa has a pretty high crime rate.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:24 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,679,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
I want to know places you wouldn't visit because you would be afraid for your safety. Yes, we have the given of most countries in Africa, Middle East, and South America in addition to North Korea... but anywhere else for you?

There are some places I'd LOVE to visit but am too afraid to:
1. Istanbul, Turkey
2. Buenos Aires, Argentina
3. Jordan (I'd love to travel all over)
4. Cape Town, South Africa
Buenos Aires is not, it's certainly not the most dangerous South American city. That would be Caracas, Venezuela.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:33 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
Jesus guys, Buenos Aires has a homicide rate of like 7/100k, that's lower than most major American cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World