Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 08:51 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,378,687 times

Advertisements

The silicon valley industry of Europe is London
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 09:17 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,424,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
The silicon valley industry of Europe is London
Yes. And hopefully the EU turns away from trying to make another SV.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:25 PM

22 posts, read 13,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Yes. And hopefully the EU turns away from trying to make another SV.
Why? SV has brought lots of benefits to the US.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:55 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,378,687 times
No, Europe is broke

Old 12-04-2018, 02:11 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,953,673 times
London is Europe's "Silicon Valley" simply because it is Europe's largest and most prominent tech economy. Yes, it is a better choice as a city, place, and environment than America's Silicon Valley (the San Francisco Bay Area). By a lot on majority of the objective measures in which we are prone to comparing cities with (though which place you enjoy is your personal preference). The San Francisco Bay Area has more stunning natural features and that's all it has on London.

However, if you're in the tech industry and have the sort of drive to be the best and be in the most competitive environment possible for your profession then obviously the San Francisco Bay Area would be more suited for those causes. It has the largest tech-centric braintrust and accumulated capital of any tech economy on Earth, which may be a benefit for those folks who are looking into getting in the door with their own startup venture. There is no substitute location for that sort of thing.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:37 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,322 times
I would recommend against it very strongly. For many reasons - mostly due to a relative lack of opportunity.

1. As a foreigner, you'll never really get anywhere - in Germany unless you're native speaker or so fluent as to pass for one, they are not welcoming. Maybe as a low-level employee...not as an executive or leader.

2. the tax rates are confiscatory and discouraging for entrepreneurs

3. GPDR is strangling innovation, adoption, and user growth everywhere in the EU

4. The funding/capita ratios are much lower. California as a whole is 6:1 the investment rate of all of Germany. That's just one state with half the population as Germany. Granted its our most successful state for startups..but that disparity should reveal there is far more start-up influence and opportunity here in CA than in Germany.

5. Despite the existing level of startup capital going into Germany, surprisingly little innovation emerges. I challenge anyone to name one German tech startup that has made a global impact. In my experience most startups are limited to regional and national presence- what does come out is IP typically spun off for acquisition by foreign corporations or monetized through a foreign subsidiary.

If you're just looking to have a startup experience in a foreign place (making it that much more challenging and unlikely), then I'd say go on and try it....but if you're trying to maximize opportunities and chances of success...don't do that.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:30 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,279,828 times
I thought the Rhine region of Germany was their Silicon Valley. It's certainly the richest.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:45 PM

51 posts, read 55,227 times
This is hilarious. There is no such thing as the "Silicon Valley of Europe".

Munich (or better yet the entire the Bavaria region) can likely be crowned the scientific innovation hub of Europe (truth be told they actually lead the world in certain fields).

There are start up incubators / hubs set up everywhere these days in Europe. No one region is famous for them over the others (one can say a bunch are better than the rest, but not just a single city alone holds the "Silicon Valley" label).

Old 04-21-2019, 05:59 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,015,260 times
I agree there is no such "hub" in Europe which is something I like actually which proves people in europe lack communist-centralized like thinking as in other regions. I actually thought about all the european startups/succesfull tech that I know of and none of them seems to be gravitating towards single place:

cd-projekt red: in my opinion the best video game makers of our age, based in eastern europe (poland)
binance.com: likely the most important bitcoin exchange/site...100% chinese but incorporated in eu/malta
localbitcoins: finnish
anydoindirect: dutch
stex.com: estonian
some german startup that produces 100% solar based cars, already having 5000+ pre-order,s may turn out to be the "next tesla"...maybe only they're in Berlin?
some dutch startup that makes 'in vitro' "fake" meat burgers...

In fact I'm willing to say it's either one of these: Amsterdam, Warsaw, Talin estonia. Maybe: Prague, Czechia.

So "eastern europe" or Holland (fine: netherlands...).

Old 04-26-2019, 09:43 AM

27,132 posts, read 13,424,152 times
I think the largest tech cluster is in Europe is in London and it's growing with areas such as Kings Cross attracting more and more start up's as well as big established tech giants.

London crowned king of European tech investment - BusinessCloud

London remains top destination for European tech funding - Reuters

Google's new YouTube space in London - Business Insider

Google's new £1bn King's Cross HQ: 11-storey building will boast a swimming pool, gym, games area and a rooftop cafe | City A.M.

Apple moving into London's $17 billion Battersea Power Station neighborhood - Business Insider

Amazon moves staff into huge London office in Shoreditch - Business Insider

Amazon creates thousands of new jobs in another win for post Brexit UK and Expedia expands London office - City A.M.

Alibaba takes space in Davidson Building in London - Business Insider

Microsoft move to Paddington, London | Design Insider

Expedia takes flight with 400000 sq ft London HQ hunt - CoStar

Bennetts and AHMM design Facebook's new London headquarters -Dezeen

Snapchat sets up international office in London - BBC News

Spotify brings 300 tech jobs to London with new R&D centre

'London is open to groundbreaking technology': Spotify - Music Week

London is Europe's number one fintech hub for global investors

Venture investment in UK fintech more than doubles | Financial Times

London dominates tech start-up investment in Europe

Japanese telecoms giant NTT Group set to pick London to host international headquarters - City AM

DMS expands London HQ and invests in new technology - Broadcast

Tech firm T-Systems opens new London office

Siemens names London most digitally ready city, despite Brexit

Singapore VC firm Antler opens up in London | Prolific London

Toronto's OneEleven opens London campus - UKTN (UK Tech News)

Software experience platform opens London office | ITEuropa

US tech business Mixpanel opens office for 40 staff in London

Sony set to make King's Cross the UK's epicenter of recorded music

DeepMind is opening a huge new London headquarters in 2020 - Wired

Element AI opens its European headquarters In London | Element AI

Tech.London: London is on the way to becoming world's AI capital

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World