Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .
Washington, D.C. 4 6.78%
Chicago 4 6.78%
San Francisco 19 32.20%
Los Angeles 15 25.42%
Miami 9 15.25%
Other city not listed 8 13.56%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 07:14 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,350,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Really????? That's actually extremely surprising, would have never have guessed.
This comes as a surprise? I guess maybe it's because it's just so far away from Canada, and different culturally, that there's a lot of curiosity about it.

I've had relatives go there and really enjoy it. I knew someone who went to grad school down there. Yeah, it's a definite draw. I'd love to visit Texas. Maybe Austin more than Houston... I'd never pass up the opportunity to visit Houston, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 12:00 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,461,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
This comes as a surprise? I guess maybe it's because it's just so far away from Canada, and different culturally, that there's a lot of curiosity about it.

I've had relatives go there and really enjoy it. I knew someone who went to grad school down there. Yeah, it's a definite draw. I'd love to visit Texas. Maybe Austin more than Houston... I'd never pass up the opportunity to visit Houston, though.
Oh yeah that's a huge surprise, but an interesting one nonetheless! If you go on the US city data forums you will see that Houston is constantly bashed(aside from the Texans outside of Dallas) and in everyday conversation over here in LA people don't think much of Houston. I would have thought that the go to city in Texas for foreigners would be Austin or Dallas, but your last sentence in bold has me interested. Awesome to see how different nationalities see different pros and cons regarding cities.

Last edited by i'm not a cookie; 04-12-2016 at 12:36 AM..

Old 04-12-2016, 01:05 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,320,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
you should go. We also have the highest education rate in the US, plus more focus on STEM rather than arts and craft like the rest of the country
That's usually a good sign, I agree.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:20 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,288,031 times
Quote:
you should go. We also have the highest education rate in the US, plus more focus on STEM rather than arts and craft like the rest of the country
The U.S. economy focuses on "arts and crafts" while the federal govt. apparatus in DC focuses on "STEM". The things one learns on C-D...

Old 04-12-2016, 01:59 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,400,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
The U.S. economy focuses on "arts and crafts" while the federal govt. apparatus in DC focuses on "STEM". The things one learns on C-D...
go anywhere else in the US. all they care about is their liberal arts degree and being a painter, or a singer, or an actor, or a lawyer or politician. No one cares about real mathematical research or scientific studies in robotics, programming, astronomy, or a plethora of other things. The whole country outside of DC is a red neck wonder land. DC is where real innovation and hard work comes from.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:46 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,461,322 times
Quote:
go anywhere else in the US. all they care about is their liberal arts degree and being a painter, or a singer, or an actor, or a lawyer or politician. No one cares about real mathematical research or scientific studies in robotics, programming, astronomy, or a plethora of other things. The whole country outside of DC is a red neck wonder land. DC is where real innovation and hard work comes from.
dc IS the best city in the USA in my own opinion, and to me it is more desirable than NYC. Although I disagree with your "redneck wonderland" statement. I wouldn't call cities like NYC, San Francisco, Seattle, Boston, ect. redneck wonderlands lol.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
dc IS the best city in the USA in my own opinion, and to me it is more desirable than NYC. Although I disagree with your "redneck wonderland" statement. I wouldn't call cities like NYC, San Francisco, Seattle, Boston, ect. redneck wonderlands lol.
There better than say Kansas but they're WAY to focused on artsy tech like special apps amongst other things. And people outside of the mid-Atlantic have incredibly annoying personalities.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:21 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,746,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post

DC has a great reputation as a place to visit, if you stick to the nicer areas... it also has a pretty legendary reputation based on tourists who've inadvertently run up against some of the crime in the sketchier areas.
There is practically no place in DC anymore where a tourist would wander that is sketchy. DC is gentrifying so fast. Even Anacostia on the other side of the river, notorious for being the most violent part of DC is expected to become popular and wealthy in the coming decade.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
There is practically no place in DC anymore where a tourist would wander that is sketchy. DC is gentrifying so fast. Even Anacostia on the other side of the river, notorious for being the most violent part of DC is expected to become popular and wealthy in the coming decade.
This is so true. All across DC not only are new buildings coming up but old ones are being renovated like the brick row houses

Old 04-16-2016, 09:58 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,288,031 times
OK, this thread has officially jumped the shark with DC homers. Anacostia is now "popular and wealthy", govt. bureaucrats in DC are all STEM professionals (who knew?) and there are absolutely no unsafe areas in DC. Oh, and everyone else in the world is "annoying" and a "redneck" except for people who live in DC...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World