Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 11:10 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,813,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
About Bologna, I don't see it as more as more famous or important than other universities here in Italy. Among our "normal" university it often ranks in the first positions thought.
Maybe we don't feel so much the "charm of the ancient" because a lot of our universities have been founded before 1500?
It's highly taught of but it doesn't enjoy the same prestige as Oxford, Cambridge or Salamanca. Probably the most prestigious universities in the country as the Bocconi School of Economy in Milan and Pisa's University (particularly when it comes to maths and sciences).

Still, when i think of a universitary city, Bologna is the one i think of! But when i think of a university, it isn't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
Our universities are not so famous and competitive at an international level, unfortunately.
The "Università la Sapienza" in Rome is probably more famous because it is larger (according to Wikipedia, the page in Italian, "la Sapienza" had 129.500 enrolled students in 2010, which made of it the largest university in Europe and the 40th worldwide for the number of students. (Maybe the numbers are a little old). The Bologna University has more or less 80.000 students, and some departments are not hosted in Bologna but in other cities of the region.)

About the most prestigious universities, there are a lot of ranking but they are never in agreement one with the others.

1° ranking: Le migliori università italiane: la classifica 2015 de Il Sole 24 Ore
This ranking is made at a national level by a newspaper called "il Sole 24 ore". It refers to 2015.
1 Verona
2 Trento
3 Politecnico di Milano
4 Bologna
5 Padova
6 Milano Bicocca
7 Siena
8 Politecnica delle Marche
9 Venezia Ca' Foscari
10 Pavia

Here there is another national ranking, in which universities are divided according to the number of students. --> Classifica completa Censis delle Università italiane 2015-2016 - Censis Guida
This is the ranking for the period 2015-2016
You can see a lot of different rankings (you can focus on certain subjects, on the didactic or on the research). The most general still divide the university according to the number of students and says:

Mega-universities (more than 40.000 students)
1) Bologna
2) Padova
3) Firenze
(Roma la Sapienza is 8th)

and so on. As I already said, these rankings seem to like Bologna a lot (I talk like this because I study in the University of Turin, so there is some rivalry with other universities )

The general trend is that university in norther-central Italy, and Rome, seem to rank much better than southern Italy ones. Furthermore, there are really a lot of students who move in northern Italy for studying, while it is practically impossible to see a northern who enrolls to a southern Italy university.

About international rankings, we are quite at the bottom of the ranking (US university rule those rankings...)
For example: QS World University Rankings® 2015/16 | Top Universities

187 Politecnico di Milano
204 University of Bologna
213 University la Sapienza of Rome
306 University of Milan
309 University of Padova
314 Politecnico di Torino
367 University of Pisa
^ all the positions are really high, the first one is in 187th position!

My university is in the range 501-550, how depressing...
I think that most rankings must be taken with a pinch of salt, there are several excellent courses for example at Southern universities. Speaking for the closest universitary city to where i live, they have a brilliant Faculty of Agriculture and a more than decent Law one which works closely with Villanova University.

What Northern and Central cities really have is the experience of being in a college city. Southern Italy has no place which nears Bologna, Perugia, Macerata, Ancona, Camerino where students are a large chunk of the population. Salento, Calabria and Salerno Universities comes close as students in Lecce, Cosenza and Salerno are roughly a fifth of the city's population. IT's no wonder that these cities are the liveliest in winter

As for the international rankings, i think it's pretty much impossible to evaluate a number as large of universities as they do. Aside from that, they apply the same standards to universities which are characterized by completely different needs and contexts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 11:30 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
well, the university presence is super strong here for sure. I even ended up going back to the university this year. Also it is true that there are people from all over the place. Well, except for Piedmont / Lombardy / Liguria (is there anyone who lives there ? I never meet anyone from that area), who rarely come here, there's pretty much everyone from Trieste to Palermo and from Sardinia to Salento here. I have friends from pretty much any of the 20 italian regions.

Also, one of my teachers was personal friend with Umberto Eco, so that is a bit prestigious in a way

Old 04-16-2016, 12:14 PM

570 posts, read 604,532 times
It is true that today there are younger universities that have more fame .

But during the studies after school the students and teachers have the privilege they walk around a small town as Oxford or Salamanca full of beauty and tradition for sensitive people is wonderfull specially in studies of Philosophy art or history.
Urania 93
In Bologna today follows an important Institution of Italian Spanish relations . Funded in 1364 in Bologna the Royal College of S.Clement of Spain by the famous Cardinal D.Gil of Albornoz who left his fortune to award scholarships to the best Spanish and Portuguese students to make their doctorate and that I visit several times
.It is a Palace full of traditions .There are many professors of Spanish law which for centuries have studied there.
In Spain they are called "bolonios " and have much prestige.
This School was imitated by others for Centuries in Universities of other many countries.-

Old 04-16-2016, 01:40 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Cambridge is pretty ... ****ing expensive.

And the amount of rude Chinese tourists is disturbing.

I'd love to visit Bologba out of the four, mainly because I'm a big fan of Italy in general.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:59 AM

27,140 posts, read 13,429,141 times
University of Oxford - founded before 1167 (England) and the University of Cambridge - founded 1209 (England) are both Ancient Universities, and had colleges linked with different parts of the UK, however it also should be noted that Scotland has four ancient universities in relation to the University of St Andrews - founded 1413 (Scotland), University of Glasgow - founded 1451 (Scotland), University of Aberdeen - founded 1495 (Scotland), University of Edinburgh - founded 1583 (Scotland) whilst the University of Dublin - founded 1592 (Ireland) is also an Ancient University.

Ancient Universities - British Isles- Wiki

Furthermore a lot of educational institutions in London are very old, with particular reference to Medical Education and the Law.

The Several centuries ago the Inns of Court were any of a sizable number of buildings or precincts where barristers traditionally lodged, trained and carried on their profession. Over the centuries the number of active Inns of Court was reduced to the present four:

The Honourable Society of Lincoln's Inn (1422)

The Honourable Society of the Inner Temple (1388)

The Honourable Society of the Middle Temple (1388)

The Honourable Society of Gray's Inn (1569)

Lincoln's Inn, the largest, is able to trace its official records to 1422, whilst the Inner and Middle Temples are recorded as separate societies in a manuscript yearbook of 1388. The records of Gray's Inn begin in 1569, but teaching is thought to have begun there in the late fourteenth century. The Inns had a close association with the Knights Templar.

The Inns Of Court And Inns Of Chancery And Their Records

Whilst in terms of Medicine, the earliest place of medical training in Britain was in 1123 at St Bartholomew's Hospital in London, and there are a number of very famous and historic medical schools, whilst the Bethlem Royal Hospital, also known the Bethlehem Hospital and Bedlam was founded in 1247 as priory anf 1330 as hospital for the insane.

London's Museums of Health and Medicine

The Royal Society of London for Improving Natural Knowledge, commonly known as the Royal Society, is a learned society for science and is possibly the oldest such society still in existence. Founded in November 1660, it was granted a royal charter by King Charles II as "The Royal Society". Henry Gray (1827 – 13 June 1861) was an English anatomist and surgeon most notable for publishing the book Gray's Anatomy, he studied as St George's Hospital in London and was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) at the age of 25.

Royal Society - History

Founded in 1518 by a Royal Charter from King Henry VIII, the Royal College of Physicians of London is the oldest medical college in England. It continues to play a pivotal role in raising standards and shaping public health today.

RCP - History

The Royal Veterinary College is the largest and longest-established vet school in the English-speaking world and is a college of the University of London. It was The Veterinary College of London was founded by a group led by Granville Penn, a grandson of William Penn of Pennsylvania and Philadelphia fame.

The RVC - About - Royal Veterinary College, RVC

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-18-2016 at 03:59 AM..

Old 04-18-2016, 01:15 PM

570 posts, read 604,532 times
This thread did not want to focus on the merits of each university that would be innumerable only in the atmosphere today of those wonderful cities where the university environment for its historic buildings -.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:56 PM

27,140 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urdiales View Post
This thread did not want to focus on the merits of each university that would be innumerable only in the atmosphere today of those wonderful cities where the university environment for its historic buildings -.
I haven't focused on the merits merely the fact there are more ancient and historic institutions in the British Isles than just Oxford and Cambridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World