U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 01:17 PM

356 posts, read 202,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Toronto has the highest number light-rails in any city in the WORLD. you've got nothing to complain about
Uhh, Ok. Next time, I'll be sure to ask your permission before I 'complain".

What you state maybe so but from my transit experiences in Vienna, Berlin, Barcelona (which was EXCELLENT), Madrid, Paris and London - unfair 'cause the last two are megacities that really can't be compared to T.O.- I can say that without equivocation that Toronto doesn't measure up. Could be due to poor planning; I don't really care but I do know that I wish we could just can the whole lot of incompetent fools in charge here and replace them with the staffs of any of the above mentioned cities. I'd vote to double their salaries too, if they could replicate here what they've been able to swing in their respective cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 01:57 PM

402 posts, read 424,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
This isn't true.
but it is, their is one line going all the way to Heathrow don't tell me it's close to the city center
and it's just one example

Old 04-22-2016, 03:47 PM

4,522 posts, read 1,307,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
but it is, their is one line going all the way to Heathrow don't tell me it's close to the city center
The Heathrow Express is the main link to Heathrow, there are also Express Train Services from London to Gatwick and Stansted, whilst the DLR has service to the City of London Airport. Crossrail 1 will also serve Heathrow Airport when it opens later in the century. So we have numerous transport options.

Heathrow Express - Wiki

Gatwick Express - Wiki

Stansted Express - Wiki

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-22-2016 at 04:28 PM..

Old 04-22-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The Heathrow Express is the main link to Heathrow, there are also Express Train Services from London to Gatwick and Stansted, whilst the DLR has service to the City of London Airport. Crossrail 1 will also serve Heathrow Airport when it opens later in the century. So we have numerous transport options.
man are you paid to post those things on here ? is it your job to promote London on these forums ? 'cause it sure sounds like you are

Old 04-23-2016, 02:11 AM

Quote:
man are you paid to post those things on here ? is it your job to promote London on these forums ? 'cause it sure sounds like you are
No - I am really just trying to be informative as you seem fairly clueless when it comes to London's Transport System.

In terms of Crossrail it will start operating within the next few years, with proper trains running at far higher speds than the Underground.

The trouble with Underground Systems/Subways/Metros etc is generally that they are very slow and tedious, and stop and start all the time. The Paris Metro system being a case in point with an average 12.4 mph (20 km/h) speed and with a maximum of 43 mph (70 km/h), the NY Subway is little better with an Average speed of 17 mph (27 km/h) and a Top speed of 55 mph (89 km/h), whilst even the London Underground (Tube) with an Average speed of 21 mph (33 km/h) is little better, although speeds of up to 50mph can be reached on the Victoria line and 60 mph on the Metropolitan and even the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) has an Average speed of 50 mph (80 km/h) and a Top Speed of 62 mph (100 km/h).

Mystery solved: which Tube line is fastest? - Around the web - London 24

Lets be honest, Subways/Undergrounds/Metros are generally slow and irritating the world over, and having stations too close together just slows them down even further. This why I much prefer rail, with Crossrail trains able to do 100mph (160 kilometres per hour) on the surface and 60mph (100 kilometres per hour) in the tunnels. The same applies to London Overground, Thameslink and numerous other rail lines in London which are both far faster than Metro/Underground/Subway Systems.

As for the the Tube it is actually at it's best outside of Central London where it is less crowded and operates above ground allowing passengers to look out of the window, breathe fresh air and see day light rather than just stare at their feet, with generally more space between stations than in the City Centre meaning it can acheive faster speeds..

As for the pricing as I have already explained London needs to invest and has been doing so, with all profits ploughed back in to improving the sysyem and new all night services at weekends, whilst the tube is far cleaner than and more pleasant than some systems I have witnessed outside of Europe.

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-23-2016 at 03:17 AM..

Old 04-23-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
No - I am really just trying to be informative as you seem fairly clueless when it comes to London's Transport System.

In terms of Crossrail it will start operating within the next few years, with proper trains running at far higher speds than the Underground.

The trouble with Underground Systems/Subways/Metros etc is generally that they are very slow and tedious, and stop and start all the time. The Paris Metro system being a case in point with an average 12.4 mph (20 km/h) speed and with a maximum of 43 mph (70 km/h), the NY Subway is little better with an Average speed of 17 mph (27 km/h) and a Top speed of 55 mph (89 km/h), whilst even the London Underground (Tube) with an Average speed of 21 mph (33 km/h) is little better, although speeds of up to 50mph can be reached on the Victoria line and 60 mph on the Metropolitan and even the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) has an Average speed of 50 mph (80 km/h) and a Top Speed of 62 mph (100 km/h).

Mystery solved: which Tube line is fastest? - Around the web - London 24

Lets be honest, Subways/Undergrounds/Metros are generally slow and irritating the world over, and having stations too close together just slows them down even further. This why I much prefer rail, with Crossrail trains able to do 100mph (160 kilometres per hour) on the surface and 60mph (100 kilometres per hour) in the tunnels. The same applies to London Overground, Thameslink and numerous other rail lines in London which are both far faster than Metro/Underground/Subway Systems.

As for the the Tube it is actually at it's best outside of Central London where it is less crowded and operates above ground allowing passengers to look out of the window, breathe fresh air and see day light rather than just stare at their feet, with generally more space between stations than in the City Centre meaning it can acheive faster speeds..

As for the pricing as I have already explained London needs to invest and has been doing so, with all profits ploughed back in to improving the sysyem and new all night services at weekends, whilst the tube is far cleaner than and more pleasant than some systems I have witnessed outside of Europe.
I'm not clueless about the London tube, I have used it many times. I know its strengths and its weaknesses. Compared to the Paris métro it is cleaner, more up-to-date, the trains look better. Overall it's a better experience if your only considering the time spent in the train. But the whole point of using a metro system is to get to your destination. And I think the Paris métro is more extensive and gets you most of the time closer to your destination than the London tube. That's probably why more people use it.
Btw speed is all relative to the population density above ... if the city is super dense above, you need a lot of stations which are going to impact the average speed.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:11 PM

5,950 posts, read 4,763,041 times
Quote:
So? This doesn't mean that most lines act as commuter lines and are away from the city centre though as you suggested, are you surprised that there is a line that actually goes to the airport? The tube is actually very extensive in central London, underground stops are all over the place. Your claim was bizarre.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I'm not clueless about the London tube, I have used it many times. I know its strengths and its weaknesses. Compared to the Paris métro it is cleaner, more up-to-date, the trains look better. Overall it's a better experience if your only considering the time spent in the train. But the whole point of using a metro system is to get to your destination. And I think the Paris métro is more extensive and gets you most of the time closer to your destination than the London tube. That's probably why more people use it.
Btw speed is all relative to the population density above ... if the city is super dense above, you need a lot of stations which are going to impact the average speed.
The London Tube is more extensive it serves a lot more of London, the Paris Metro just has a lot more stops in the Centre of Paris. There are plenty of Tube Stops in Central London, and as much as I like the RER it is not dissimilar to what London has, it's just we are now making the best of London Overground and indeed taking over other lines, whilst investing massively in Thameslink and indeed Crossrail 1 & 2.

However in terms of improvements I would suggest Paris invest in Gare du Nord, which to be kind needs some investment especially after leaving the superb St Pancras International in London and I would also invest in the Grand Paris Express project to build 200 km of new metro lines by 2030 to serve the outer suburbs of the capital, just like London already does.

French and British national moods a world apart - BBC News

Grand Paris metro expansion programme confirmed - Railway Gazette

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-23-2016 at 12:43 PM..

Old 04-23-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
The London Tube is more extensive it serves a lot more of London, the Paris Metro just has a lot more stops in the Centre of Paris. There are plenty of Tube Stops in Central London, and as much as I like the RER it is not dissimilar to what London has, it's just we are now making the best of London Overground and indeed taking over other lines, whilst investing massively in Thameslink and indeed Crossrail 1 & 2.

However in terms of improvements I would suggest Paris invest in Gare du Nord, which to be kind needs some investment especially after leaving the superb St Pancras International in London and I would also invest in the Grand Paris Express project to build 200 km of new metro lines by 2030 to serve the outer suburbs of the capital, just like London already does.
Gare du Nord is IMO the worst Paris has to offer. I avoid that station at all cost. The major problem about that station is it's just too big and too much of a hub. It's the busiest train station in Europe. It's also a major RER hub and and major métro hub. The people commuting at Gare du Nord are most of them from the bad suburbs of Paris, so it does not always feel super safe.
There are plans to renovate GdN, and btw they are currently improving Châtelet which is the second busiest station after GdN.

Btw outer suburbs are already well served with 5 RER, 8 transiliens (commuter trains) and 8 trams, RER A alone gets more than 1.2 million people per day (busiest line in Europe) what they're trying to do with the Grand Paris Express is to improve the suburb to suburb journeys, at the moment you have to go from suburb to Paris to suburb, with the new métro the commute will be more direct and quicker, and major hubs in Paris (like chatelet or GdN) will have less people transiting. It will also alleviate the RER A or other RER lines which are overcrowded at rush hour.

So basically your last sentence assuming Paris has no service in the suburbs and is only planning to address that issue now is dead wrong, the main issue is that the RER is too popular and there is a need for more options.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Gare du Nord is IMO the worst Paris has to offer. I avoid that station at all cost. The major problem about that station is it's just too big and too much of a hub. It's the busiest train station in Europe. It's also a major RER hub and and major métro hub. The people commuting at Gare du Nord are most of them from the bad suburbs of Paris, so it does not always feel super safe.
There are plans to renovate GdN, and btw they are currently improving Châtelet which is the second busiest station after GdN.

Btw outer suburbs are already well served with 5 RER, 8 transiliens (commuter trains) and 8 trams, RER A alone gets more than 1.2 million people per day (busiest line in Europe) what they're trying to do with the Grand Paris Express is to improve the suburb to suburb journeys, at the moment you have to go from suburb to Paris to suburb, with the new métro the commute will be more direct and quicker, and major hubs in Paris (like chatelet or GdN) will have less people transiting. It will also alleviate the RER A or other RER lines which are overcrowded at rush hour.

So basically your last sentence assuming Paris has no service in the suburbs and is only planning to address that issue now is dead wrong, the main issue is that the RER is too popular and there is a need for more options.
The Paris system is very good, and will be even better once the Grand Paris Express come in to operation.

However London's system is also set to vastly improve and London is investing heavily in it's trasport infastructure and both cities have very impressive transport systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World