U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 08:57 PM

5,234 posts, read 12,345,717 times

Advertisements

I've ridden all of these but Moscow so I'll leave Moscow off.
  1. Madrid
  2. London
  3. New York City
  4. Paris
  5. Milan

Basically all of these work extremely work (except Milan) so it's difficult to choose between them. None of them are seriously lacking in any capacity. The reason I chose Madrid as #1 is because it is very affordable, all the stations and cars are very clean, they are climate controlled very well, and it is definitely the largest for its size. It has the 7th most amount of track mileage in the world (183 miles) behind only Shanghai, Beijing, London, NYC, and Moscow. It's only the 56th largest metro in the world and the 82nd largest city proper in the world.

London is massive, but quite expensive to use. The trains are clean though.

NYC is massive, but there are definitely some areas that are not as well-served as similar areas of Madrid, London, and Paris. It's also dirty and the stations are miserable to wait inside of during the hot and humid NYC summers.

Paris seemed even dirtier than NYC to me. And I get that since Paris is so dense, there has to be a lot of stops. But it seems a bit overkill. You sometimes don't even exit one station completely before the car starts pulling to the next station. It just seemed a bit excessive and took a very long time to get anywhere. And it's dirty and old. And the people working at the ticketing booths that are supposed to help tourists act in typical Parisian fashion and are completely unwilling to assist anyone. We asked for help in English, Spanish, Italian, and even broken French, but the woman working there just stared at us with clearly no intent on trying to help us. I know she isn't the actual metro itself, but it makes the experience of taking the Paris metro not so great.

Milan's really doesn't serve the city that well. I mean it's better than nothing, but it's not nearly as good as the rest of these.

Also, ridership in millions is extremely misleading because Madrid is far smaller than the other cities on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 11:14 PM

11,769 posts, read 10,493,595 times
I dunno, Moscow Metro might be a somewhat different experience, just because of its background/history... Particularly the older part of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdJNkb5QK5g

Old 04-27-2016, 12:46 AM

215 posts, read 131,688 times
It looks like Moscow has some of the most impressive interiors and it consistently scores high on these rankings.

How are the trains and other aspects of the infrastructure?

Old 04-27-2016, 08:11 AM

402 posts, read 424,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I've ridden all of these but Moscow so I'll leave Moscow off.
  1. Madrid
  2. London
  3. New York City
  4. Paris
  5. Milan

Basically all of these work extremely work (except Milan) so it's difficult to choose between them. None of them are seriously lacking in any capacity. The reason I chose Madrid as #1 is because it is very affordable, all the stations and cars are very clean, they are climate controlled very well, and it is definitely the largest for its size. It has the 7th most amount of track mileage in the world (183 miles) behind only Shanghai, Beijing, London, NYC, and Moscow. It's only the 56th largest metro in the world and the 82nd largest city proper in the world.

London is massive, but quite expensive to use. The trains are clean though.

NYC is massive, but there are definitely some areas that are not as well-served as similar areas of Madrid, London, and Paris. It's also dirty and the stations are miserable to wait inside of during the hot and humid NYC summers.

Paris seemed even dirtier than NYC to me. And I get that since Paris is so dense, there has to be a lot of stops. But it seems a bit overkill. You sometimes don't even exit one station completely before the car starts pulling to the next station. It just seemed a bit excessive and took a very long time to get anywhere. And it's dirty and old. And the people working at the ticketing booths that are supposed to help tourists act in typical Parisian fashion and are completely unwilling to assist anyone. We asked for help in English, Spanish, Italian, and even broken French, but the woman working there just stared at us with clearly no intent on trying to help us. I know she isn't the actual metro itself, but it makes the experience of taking the Paris metro not so great.

Milan's really doesn't serve the city that well. I mean it's better than nothing, but it's not nearly as good as the rest of these.

Also, ridership in millions is extremely misleading because Madrid is far smaller than the other cities on here.
I don't think the Paris metro is dirtier than the NYC subway .. many lines look very modern in Paris (like line 1 or line 14), with nice and clean stations, whereas in NYC it's dirty and old looking everywhere.
That clerk woman probably didn't understand you and probably found you were rude if you just started by asking for help in English. I'll agree though that Parisians should try to be nicer to tourists in general even if tourists are often rude by French standards.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:23 PM

6,012 posts, read 3,666,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
My thought exactly, except for the ticket booth part. My personal experience with the ticket booth in Paris was pretty normal and my French is crap lol.

I'd still take it over London underground any day though, due to how disgustingly expensive it is.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:49 PM

4,522 posts, read 1,307,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greysholic View Post
my thought exactly, except for the ticket booth part. My personal experience with the ticket booth in paris was pretty normal and my french is crap lol.

I'd still take it over london underground any day though, due to how disgustingly expensive it is.
Transport for London does not make a profit, and the London system has seen massive investment and this has been reflected in fares.

Reinvesting In Transport - Transport For London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfl

* we don't make a profit because we reinvest all our income to run and improve your services

* we are a public body, with no shareholders or parent companies, which means we can reinvest every pound of income in the transport network

* for every pound we receive, 65% is spent on the everyday running costs of the network and 35% on improving it for the future

* we reinvest in numerous projects, from building the new elizabeth line, running the tube through the night, modernising the roads to helping you to plan your journeys and keep you up to date with live travel information

* sustained investment is making it possible to make real improvements to the transport network for the millions of people who rely on us every day

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-27-2016 at 04:00 PM..

Old 04-27-2016, 04:01 PM

6,012 posts, read 3,666,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Transport for London don't make a profit, in terms of transpport fares, they may wellk be frozen for the next four years. The truth being the London system has seen massive investment and this has been reflected in fares.

Reinvesting In Transport - Transport For London
I find myself not really giving a rat's ass about their excuses/reasons behind the preposterous fares. It's just ****ing expensive and I hate it. Simple as that.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:02 PM

4,522 posts, read 1,307,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I find myself not really giving a rat's ass about their excuses/reasons behind the preposterous fares. It's just ****ing expensive and I hate it. Simple as that.
There are plans to freeze fares.

London ticket fares: will a new Mayor reign in spiralling transport prices? - Railway Technology

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-27-2016 at 04:18 PM..

Old 04-27-2016, 04:29 PM

5,234 posts, read 12,345,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
I don't think the Paris metro is dirtier than the NYC subway .. many lines look very modern in Paris (like line 1 or line 14), with nice and clean stations, whereas in NYC it's dirty and old looking everywhere.
That clerk woman probably didn't understand you and probably found you were rude if you just started by asking for help in English. I'll agree though that Parisians should try to be nicer to tourists in general even if tourists are often rude by French standards.
Overall though the system is quite old and dirty.

And no, our friend who spoke a little French asked her in French for help and she immediately gave us a disgusted look when we spoke to each other in English. We politely asked in Spanish if she spoke Spanish, politely asked in English if she spoke English, and politely asked in Italian if she spoke Italian. She refused to answer our questions, so our friend that speaks very little French tried again and she was completely unwilling to even TRY to understand her or help us out. In Geneva, anyone that noticed we didn't speak French tried their hardest to assist us in English. And the friend that spoke a little bit of French was spoken to slowly in small words so that she could understand them well and figure things out. We were not rude AT ALL to the woman at the ticketing booth, and we never once tried to act like rude Americans and just immediately assume she spoke English.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:35 PM

11,769 posts, read 10,493,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not the Maginot Line View Post
It looks like Moscow has some of the most impressive interiors and it consistently scores high on these rankings.

How are the trains and other aspects of the infrastructure?
Not sure what to say about that part - they are just... trains. (You can have a closer look here, including some parts of the infrastructure.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvMslIgdxEs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjA_GHStiFw

As far as the safety goes, I think there were only two accidents; both involved newer metro stations and I think in both cases it was all about faulty escalators. It happened probably back in 70ies-80ies, but that's about it.

I used Moscow metro last time about five years ago, and I found it to be as clean and reliable as many-many years ago, only it grew much bigger and became far more crowded. ( A lot of Asians ( Central Asians to be precise,) that I've never seen before.)
And of course the newer stations are not as impressive as the older ones - alas)))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVmTNpvRRkU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World