Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 10:08 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,685,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
London is expensive but there has been a lot of investment, with a lot more planned and the current Mayor has frozen fares for the immediate future.

Crossrail will change things radiically in the next few years, as will the Northern Line Extension currently under construction, whilst London Overground is being extended and there are plans for the extension of the Bakerloo Line, Metropolitan Line and Dockland Light Railway, with Crossrail 2 and HS2 in the offing, whilst Thameslink will be completed in 2018.

Improvements & projects - Transport for London

Planning for the future - Transport for London

Improving the trains - Transport for London

New trains - Transport for London

London Underground S7 and S8 Stock - Wikipedia
The price of paris metro is lower because of various subventions... taxes aren't all disappearing, fortunately else both have huge investments. Hard to compare to Madrid because Madrid metro is a newborn compare to parisian one and even more londonian one!
I don't know NY subway, is it really bad? I mean it can be dirty, OK, but at least cheap and efficient (which is apprently the opposite) ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 11:40 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
The price of paris metro is lower because of various subventions... taxes aren't all disappearing, fortunately else both have huge investments. Hard to compare to Madrid because Madrid metro is a newborn compare to parisian one and even more londonian one!
I don't know NY subway, is it really bad? I mean it can be dirty, OK, but at least cheap and efficient (which is apprently the opposite) ?
NY subway IS that bad. It is not cheap and it is definitely not efficient. It is the worst subway system in developed countries (and some developing countries too).

You don't feel you walk in a public transit system in a rich country. You feel like in a prison cell. You feel back in 1975.

In comparison, the Paris and London metro is like Sofitel (versus comfort Inn).

Old 08-26-2017, 01:45 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
In terms of London, it's non-profit making and everything is reinvested in the system, and the congestion charge also is reinvested in public transport. The reason it's so expensive is that it's investing such massive amounts in numerous schemes and new rolling stock.

Paris, is also investing heavily, and both systems will see significant improvement, it's NYC that hasn't really invested or planned as well in terms of increased usage and pressure on an already antiquated system. I know NYC has plans to try and plug some of the gaps through spending on quick fixes, but it needs a cohesive long term spending and improvement policy.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:46 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
In terms of London, it's non-profit making and everything is reinvested in the system, and the congestion charge also is reinvested in public transport. The reason it's so expensive is that it's investing such massive amounts in numerous schemes and new rolling stock.

Paris, is also investing heavily, and both systems will see significant improvement, it's NYC that hasn't really invested or planned as well in terms of increased usage and pressure on an already antiquated system. I know NYC has plans to try and plug some of the gaps through spending on quick fixes, but it needs a cohesive long term spending and improvement policy.
It's not up to NYC,it's up to the State government. The MTA is not owned by NYC, it's owned by NY State. Big difference. The city is trying to get the State to invest more money into the MTA, but instead Cuomo is spending money on dumb **** like expensive light shows on the new Kosciusko bridge.

I'm not denying that our infrastructure is outdated and needs an upgrade, but we have made drastic improvements from the 70s, 80s, and even just the 90s and early 2000s. A lot of the recent stuff is with Amtrak/NJT in Penn Station (which has been a disaster as long as I can remember), combined with a little bit of media sensationalism.

However, we did get the State to pledge $1 Billion extra into the subway for improvements recently, and we are getting a new Station for LIRR and Amtrak as they abandon the disgusting Penn Station and move across 8th avenue into the old Post office building where an entirely new $1.6 Billion new station will be built, called "Moynihan Station"

Cuomo Offers More Renderings Of New $1.6 Billion Moynihan Train Hall: Gothamist

Old 08-26-2017, 02:20 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
NY subway IS that bad. It is not cheap and it is definitely not efficient. It is the worst subway system in developed countries (and some developing countries too).

You don't feel you walk in a public transit system in a rich country. You feel like in a prison cell. You feel back in 1975.

In comparison, the Paris and London metro is like Sofitel (versus comfort Inn).
It's old, dirty, smelly, gritty, grimey, cramped, and very poorly ventilated in the Summer, but I wouldn't call it expensive or inefficient at all, and I live in NYC without a car so I use this system every single day to get everywhere. $120 gets you a monthly unlimited pass regardless of distance. It's also the largest rapid transit system in the world by # of stations and the only one that operates fully 24/7. Not saying it is the best though.

Listen, I'm the first person to complain about the NYC subway as it is FAAAAAR from perfect, but you're out of your mind if you think it's the worst subway system in the developed world. Have you ever been to.... literally any other city in North America? NYC is on a league of its own in North America. You have to compare it to European and Asian cities to find better.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:45 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,685,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
It's old, dirty, smelly, gritty, grimey, cramped, and very poorly ventilated in the Summer, but I wouldn't call it expensive or inefficient at all, and I live in NYC without a car so I use this system every single day to get everywhere. $120 gets you a monthly unlimited pass regardless of distance. It's also the largest rapid transit system in the world by # of stations and the only one that operates fully 24/7. Not saying it is the best though.

Listen, I'm the first person to complain about the NYC subway as it is FAAAAAR from perfect, but you're out of your mind if you think it's the worst subway system in the developed world. Have you ever been to.... literally any other city in North America? NYC is on a league of its own in North America. You have to compare it to European and Asian cities to find better.
Interesting, the 24/7 is indeed a very good point... I wish the metro in Paris could do that too damn.
120$ is expensive tho... but there are less taxes in USA so I guess people manage anyway .
Question is, is it metro per month only or bus/tram' too?
The network is extremely large but in London underground+overground too and in Paris, RER since it's just a double desk metro. I should go to NYC see with my own eyes lol. On google image this brave metro looks fine... but it's google image...

Old 08-26-2017, 07:40 PM

37,150 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Interesting, the 24/7 is indeed a very good point... I wish the metro in Paris could do that too damn.
120$ is expensive tho... but there are less taxes in USA so I guess people manage anyway .
Question is, is it metro per month only or bus/tram' too?
The network is extremely large but in London underground+overground too and in Paris, RER since it's just a double desk metro. I should go to NYC see with my own eyes lol. On google image this brave metro looks fine... but it's google image...
There are no trams (within the borders of NYC proper, though some in neighboring New Jersey), but there are buses and the monthly pass does include local buses within NYC proper. However, that unlimited card does not include express bus services, commuter rail, or the airtrain light rail to JFK airport.

What's the most greatly missing part in NYC compared to many of these systems is the ability of commuter rail lines to take people to multiple parts of the core and double as rapid transit within the city. Essentially, what NYC is missing is the RER system in its entirety. While there are express routes for NYC's subway, they aren't quite the same thing. Instead, NYC has commuter rail services to the city center run by three different transportation agencies all of which stop at one of two terminals within the core (Manhattan) and only one each.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 08-26-2017 at 07:53 PM..

Old 08-27-2017, 12:45 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:

It is not far from perfect. It is far from acceptable.

Not all, but I have taken subways in many NA cities: LA, Chicago, Boston, DC, Atlanta, SF, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, and yes, the NYC experience is definitely the worst. Of course NA has an extremely low bar when it comes to public transit so there are some competitors.

I am not talking about access or convenience of course, but the experience itself. It just lowers your quality of life dramatically.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:51 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
It's not up to NYC,it's up to the State government. The MTA is not owned by NYC, it's owned by NY State. Big difference. The city is trying to get the State to invest more money into the MTA, but instead Cuomo is spending money on dumb **** like expensive light shows on the new Kosciusko bridge.

I'm not denying that our infrastructure is outdated and needs an upgrade, but we have made drastic improvements from the 70s, 80s, and even just the 90s and early 2000s. A lot of the recent stuff is with Amtrak/NJT in Penn Station (which has been a disaster as long as I can remember), combined with a little bit of media sensationalism.

However, we did get the State to pledge $1 Billion extra into the subway for improvements recently, and we are getting a new Station for LIRR and Amtrak as they abandon the disgusting Penn Station and move across 8th avenue into the old Post office building where an entirely new $1.6 Billion new station will be built, called "Moynihan Station"

Cuomo Offers More Renderings Of New $1.6 Billion Moynihan Train Hall: Gothamist
Crossail is costing £16 billion, Crossrail 2 wil cost over £30 Billion, whilst London Overground, Thameslink and refurbishing the London Underground lines and buying new trains and rolling stock has cost even more, whilst Grand Paris Express costs over £20 Billion.

There has also been signigicanbt investment in rail, with King Cross and St Pancras International redevelopments in London, the current £800 million redevelopment of Waterloo Station and the plans for Euston, Old Oak and HS2 which will cost over £50 Billion. Then you have the subway extension to the Northern Line and Bakerloo Lines extension as well as the London Overground extension and Docklands Light Railway extension, with the future proposed Metropolitan Line extension, South London Tram extension and a new Heathrow to Waterloo rail link. Whilst HS1 involved 37 miles of tunnels through east London and Kent, and cost £6 Billion, and London s also investing billions in new bridges and tunnels, as well as the bus network, and a large percentage of the sysyem is now 24 hour non-stop.

In all London has possibly invested or is going to invest the best part of £100 Billion (not including HS2), and Paris isn't far behind.

Whilst $1 Billion may be welcome news, it is not even in the same league as what other major global cities are spending.

Improvements & projects - Transport for London

Planning for the future - Transport for London

Reinvesting in transport - Transport for London

Investing in London - Network Rail

London Waterloo remains Britain’s busiest station as £800 million upgrade continues - Network Rail

Look around the £6.5bn London Bridge redevelopment getting Kent trains to run on time

Benefits of the Thameslink Programme

Thameslink (route) - Wikipedia

Five-year £500m redevelopment of King's Cross station almost complete - Guardian (2012)

St Pancras International Station £800 million Redevelopment (2007) - Railway Technology

Northern line extension - Transport for London

Bakerloo line extension - Transport for London

Metropolitan line extension - Transport for London

The Night Tube - Transport for London

Night Tube: East London route joins 24-hour services - BBC News

London Overground - Wikipedia

Improving London Overground - Transport for London

New river crossings for London and DLR Extension - Transport for London

Improving the trains - Transport for London

New trains - Transport for London

London Underground S7 and S8 Stock - Wikipedia

New Tube for London - Wikipedia

The future of trams - Transport for London

Crossrail

Crossrail - Wikipedia

Crossrail 2 - Supporting Growth in the South East

Crossrail 2 - Wikipedia

Lower Thames Crossing route between Kent and Essex revealed - BBC News

Plans for 13 bridges and tunnels to connect London across the Thames - BBC News

Sadiq Khan signals go-ahead for three new Thames river crossings in east London - London Evening Standard

London's new 25,000-home neighbourhood: huge Old Oak Common regeneration zone is set to become a Crossrail-HS2 transport hub | Homes and Property

Heathrow Southern Railway: The new £1.2 billion train line which could link airport with Guildford and Waterloo - Get Surrey

£200m being invested in bus priority schemes - Transport for London

London ‘hopper’ bus fare which makes second journey within an hour free to start on 12 September - Independent

High Speed 1

High Speed 2 - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-27-2017 at 05:17 AM..

Old 08-27-2017, 07:14 AM

37,150 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It is not far from perfect. It is far from acceptable.

Not all, but I have taken subways in many NA cities: LA, Chicago, Boston, DC, Atlanta, SF, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, and yes, the NYC experience is definitely the worst. Of course NA has an extremely low bar when it comes to public transit so there are some competitors.

I am not talking about access or convenience of course, but the experience itself. It just lowers your quality of life dramatically.
In that case, you're generally thinking about fairly cosmetic issues rather than utility. That's fine, but I generally put a lot more emphasis on general usability things like frequency, speed, connectivity and extensiveness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World