U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 11:04 AM

3,433 posts, read 978,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Historically NYC is the movie capital and London the financial capital. Today L.A. due to Hollywood is considered the movie/film capital of the world although many movies/films/series are done in NYC.
NYC has been the backdrop for numerous great films and soundtracks, and has studios such as the SilverCup Studios where large parts of such great dramas as 'The Sopranos' were filmed.

London/Britain has already been mentioned as a very historic film industry which remains highly respected globally and which is currently expanding.

Both NYC and London are important Financial Centres, and both cities have strong economic, social and cultural ties.

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-18-2016 at 11:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 11:04 AM

3,347 posts, read 2,014,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I agree, although London/Britain never had the numbers of vast studios that Los Angeles had, what British Studios did was by and large was considered to be of very good quality and unique, and the British Film Industry is still highly respected within the global film industry to thgis day.
India is an interesting contrast. Bollywood is very heavy on volume... and sheer popular entertainment value. What's better than Bollywood? MORE Bollywood of course! Moremoremore!

There are a small number of excellent dramatic films that are produced in India, but alas, I think they get limited attention because they're so much in the shadow of Bollywood comedy/dance films.

Nollywood (Nigeria's film industry) is also interesting due to the sheer volume of films that are produced. I might be mistaken, but I think I recall reading somewhere that many Nollywood films are produced to be distributed straight to video cassette, or nowadays, DVD, because television viewing is still how most people can readily access films in that region of Africa. In any case, they produce some very entertaining and watchable "soap opera" style dramas.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:11 PM

23,062 posts, read 13,621,806 times
Wakaliwood, Uganda.

The best of the best movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BymeLkZ7GqM

Oh, and Bollywood represents:

Old 04-18-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
India is an interesting contrast. Bollywood is very heavy on volume... and sheer popular entertainment value. What's better than Bollywood? MORE Bollywood of course! Moremoremore!

There are a small number of excellent dramatic films that are produced in India, but alas, I think they get limited attention because they're so much in the shadow of Bollywood comedy/dance films.

Nollywood (Nigeria's film industry) is also interesting due to the sheer volume of films that are produced. I might be mistaken, but I think I recall reading somewhere that many Nollywood films are produced to be distributed straight to video cassette, or nowadays, DVD, because television viewing is still how most people can readily access films in that region of Africa. In any case, they produce some very entertaining and watchable "soap opera" style dramas.
Yes Bollywood and Nollywood are interesting, I find a lot of Bollywood a bit too full of music and dance for my tastes, but they are colourful and unique films.

The Koreans and Japanese film industries have also become well known, especially in relation to Horror Films.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:42 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,713,927 times
In the western world LA is still the movie capital with NYC being the multimedia capital.... London? I have no idea where that fits in?

And Bollywood? That's pretty much for people in india. It doesn't not enjoy the global dominance that Hollywood still enjoys. Outside of a few randos no one really watches Bollywood in the western world, besdies of course indians and a select niche of randoms.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:42 AM

151 posts, read 87,233 times
Forget Bollywood. The Turkish film industry is where it's all happening. Ever hear of Turkish Star Wars, Turkish Rocky or Turkish Superman/Batman etc?

Old 04-19-2016, 01:45 AM

5,595 posts, read 4,477,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
In the western world LA is still the movie capital with NYC being the multimedia capital.... London? I have no idea where that fits in?

And Bollywood? That's pretty much for people in india. It doesn't not enjoy the global dominance that Hollywood still enjoys. Outside of a few randos no one really watches Bollywood in the western world, besdies of course indians and a select niche of randoms.
You haven't actually read any previous posts on here have you!?

Old 04-19-2016, 01:46 AM

5,595 posts, read 4,477,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
NYC hasn't been the movie capitol since before WW2. Same goes with London and financial capitol (or perhaps even back to the 1920's).
Perhaps you should do some research before posting!?

Old 04-19-2016, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Points of Convergence View Post
Forget Bollywood. The Turkish film industry is where it's all happening. Ever hear of Turkish Star Wars, Turkish Rocky or Turkish Superman/Batman etc?
Nordic Dramas also seem to be doing very well at the moment, and it's good to see more international input in terms of film and TV.

It's also been good to see the cities such as Glasgow being used in a number of Hollywood productions, the new Dragon Studios in Wales and indeed the very succesful Titanic Studios in Belfast being largely responsible for globally acclaimed films and television series such as 'Game of Thrones'. So the British Film Industry success story is not just confined to the London/South England area with new studios planned in Yorkshire, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Belfast, as well as the continuing expansion of MediaCity in Manchester.

Glasgow: the unlikely favourite location for Hollywood film-makers | UK news | The Guardian

Scots film studio complex set for 2017 opening - The Scotsman

Scottish film studio cost hits 230m - The Scotsman

Pinewood film company to set up studios in Cardiff - BBC News

Pinewood marks first year in Wales - BBC News

Plans for major film studio in Yorkshire revealed - BBC News

First look at plans underway for new 10m movie studios in Belfast - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Game of Thrones Tours Ltd | cloaks, swords and helms

MediaCity, Salford Docks near Manchester is home to a number of Television, Media and Film Producton Companies, and is part of a larger social, cultural, leisure and housing development.

Studios | MediaCityUK

BBC's Salford move key to Northern Powerhouse and worth 277m a year to country's economy - Manchester Evening News

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-19-2016 at 03:17 AM..

Old 04-19-2016, 10:25 AM

15,684 posts, read 18,814,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
LA has historically been the hub of film making when it comes to the Anglo world, the English film industry always gets 'lumped in' with Hollywood, it always has, over time a lot of 'Hollywood' films have been filmed in Pinewood Studios in London, I've heard people refer to films like Chariots of Fire or the Harry Potter films as 'Hollywood films' too, not that it really matters.
I think this has to do with the fact that in the US and Canada, those films are distributed by Warner Brothers and are known as Warner Brother Films. Warner Brothers is headquartered in Burbank, California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World