Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 09:07 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,463,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't want to hijack this thread with a solely Canadian issue, but one thing about Toronto is that it's only been the biggest city in the country since around 1980, and according to many wasn't really destined to be the country's largest city.

As such, its civic identity is a bit unclear and even immature.

So it has these traits that are uncommon for a country's largest city, juxtaposed with the usual traits that all large cities tend to have.
Hijack? I think a better term is Acajack the thread LOL...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 12:42 AM

1,147 posts, read 715,358 times
Big cities sometimes lead to the stereotyping of entire nationalities.

For example, Amsterdam's strong identity as a city impacts how people perceive "the Dutch" altogether. As most Dutch people do not live in Amsterdam, it's understandable why some non-Amsterdammers might be annoyed.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:46 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,325,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post

For example, Amsterdam's strong identity as a city impacts how people perceive "the Dutch" altogether. As most Dutch people do not live in Amsterdam, it's understandable why some non-Amsterdammers might be annoyed.
^^^This exactly! Same thing happens with Paris. The images of France most people have is almost always of Paris.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:35 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,260,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
We jokingly call Toronto " the centre of the universe " , well those who don't live in Toronto do.

Hate is a strong word, I'd say it's more an expression of resentment, that Toronto gets most of the attention. I feel for the other poster who is assumed to be from Paris because he is from France.
It's similar for a lot of Canadians being asked about Toronto when out of the country.

Even the most die-hard critic of Toronto, usually enjoys visiting the place.
ah, thanks !

Funnily enough I have lived in Toronto, but in the French world, Toronto is obviously overshadowed by Montréal / Québec and also by Vancouver.

I am not sure everyone in France is certain that Toronto is in Canada and not in the US to be honest... at least when I told people I moved there, many knew it was in North America, but were not sure where exactly...

In a way it is the opposite of the French situation, because Toronto looks strong when in Canada but is not really thought of when you go abroad, whereas in France Paris is important but obviously people go on with their lives, and once a French travels abroad everyone just tells them that Paris is beautiful and that they are lucky, even if the person in question lives in the Alps or near the Spanish border...

Old 05-15-2016, 04:37 AM

7,868 posts, read 10,260,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post

i know people who live in the netherlands and they say the very liberal attitudes to amsterdam are not at all representitive of the rest of the country , they find many parts of the netherlands more conservative than ireland

Old 05-15-2016, 05:58 AM

10,646 posts, read 15,974,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
i know people who live in the netherlands and they say the very liberal attitudes to amsterdam are not at all representitive of the rest of the country , they find many parts of the netherlands more conservative than ireland
Which parts do they find more conservative? Friesland, Drenthe, Overijssel, Zealand, Limburg?
The most liberal provinces are North Holland, South Holland, Utrecht and North Brabant.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:35 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,290,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
In a way it is the opposite of the French situation, because Toronto looks strong when in Canada but is not really thought of when you go abroad, whereas in France Paris is important but obviously people go on with their lives, and once a French travels abroad everyone just tells them that Paris is beautiful and that they are lucky, even if the person in question lives in the Alps or near the Spanish border...
I think, outside of North America, Montreal might still be viewed as the top Canadian city in a lot of places. At least in Europe and Latin America, this appears to be the case. It's usually the first city that comes up in conversations re. Canada.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:26 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,463,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I think, outside of North America, Montreal might still be viewed as the top Canadian city in a lot of places. At least in Europe and Latin America, this appears to be the case. It's usually the first city that comes up in conversations re. Canada.
When I'm in France, they do first mention Quebec, but everywhere I seem to get Toronto. What has changed over the years, is that the chances of getting a blank look when I mention Vancouver has lessened.

A common fallacy is that since I'm from Canada I must speak French.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:29 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,260,999 times
It's funny because Vancouver has always seemed to be like a famous city... Toronto not so much.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:31 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,290,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
When I'm in France, they do first mention Quebec, but everywhere I seem to get Toronto. What has changed over the years, is that the chances of getting a blank look when I mention Vancouver has lessened.
In Latin America, at least according to my wife, Montreal seems to come up first. I'm from Germany, and I think Montreal is at least as well-known in that part of Europe as Toronto.

Toronto is fairly well known, but I feel there's confusion about exactly what or where it is. Everyone knows it's a big, prosperous North American city, but I'm not sure most people get that's it's Canada's hegemonic city, even though it truly is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World