Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 04:41 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I think it's always been well known on the US west coast for obvious reasons. Also, there is a city with the same name in Washington.
It hasn't always been known on the west coast of the US. Seattle and Portland, yes. Vancouver and them, especially Seattle, are close enough to be familiar.

I remember travelling to L.A. as a teenager in the 1970's to visit family. Some knew it, most did not.
I got responses like this.

" Vancouver? In Canada? Canada. That's the country just above Minnesota, isn't it? "

TRUE STORY LOL

Vancouver only really became more prominent during Expo '86 when I believe, about a million Californians came of the 22 million people that visited.

I worked an information line and handled questions by people planning to come up to the fair. Even those that had planned to come still really didn't know Vancouver in the sense of even understanding it was a city. I would get questions about how many hotels are there in Vancouver? Is there a bank? and on and on.

Times have changed.

Yes, Vancouver WA is actually a suburb of Portland, just across the river. It is of course known here in Vancouver, B.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Vancouver's port is a very busy one, it's the economic link that we have to the Pacific Rim, not so much Toronto. Also, it's within the Seattle/Pacific northwest region, so there's that too. Toronto's a longgg way from the west coast. Maybe it's easy to forget that in Toronto?
..but interestingly enough, only just over 2 hours longer flight time from Beijing than Vancouver.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Biarritz, Rennes, Besancon, Amboise, Biarritz, Nantes and Grenoble are internationally famous? That's news to me.

Really? It isn't well known at all, people know the city (several of our ancestors immigrated to Canada and specifically to Lower Ontario) but they would probably know little about it, Toronto doesn't have a landmark (quite a few would recognize the CN Tower but wouldn't know where it si ) which makes it stand out and elevates it over any other Canadian city.

Montreal has the F1 Grand Prix which makes it well known amongst a certain subset of the population but it still isn't well known either for more of the same reasons.

Depends. It's a draw between Milan and Napoli depending on the period with Rome soon behind.

Rome isn't criticized as a city but mostly because it's the place where the country's main political institutions are and there were slogans against the city (launched by the Northern League) that became popular up North about a decade ago and which have now passed out of flavour. In reality, Rome being behind Milan or Napoli when it comes to this can be easily explained by the fact that Rome isn't Italy's largest city, it's the third largest city when counting metropolitan areas, narrowly but still third. It being at the center of Italy also doesn't make it as polarizing as Milan or Napoli can be.

Napoli is more appreciated in Southern-Central Italy but the more you go North and the more it gets associated with all the negative aspects of Southern Italy. Napoli is so polarizing which is said that you either love the city or despise it with all your body, its main rival isn't the national capital but Milan with which they have a long rivalry dating to the 60s and 70s.

Milan can get negativity or positivity from all over, it can come from North as much as it can come from the South, i have noticed that the opinion regarding Milan of the people who live the city is considerably higher than of those that live outside of it with which it has never managed to shake up the reputation it's conquered in its industrial heydays despite large efforts. Aside from that, opinions regarding Milan are never excessively positive or negative, they are mild unless you are speaking to a Neapolitan .
I never said it was well known. I said it was the city mentioned, when I mentioned Canada.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:49 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
THANK YOU.

It's anodyne beyond belief. Even canadians in the rest of the country don't really like coming here.
lol I have to laugh at all these comments - for a city so anodyne it seems to evoke a lot of comments.. I think that is very telling actually.

Despite all your negativity, the city will continue to grow like gangbusters and will still rank highly in most global rankings of cities.. That must irk you to no end that such an 'anodyne' place seemingly puts everything together so well.

A little salt to the wound putting real numbers at play instead of subjective opinions.... You'll be sure to see me add more for you once Statscan releases the 2016 census and Canadian CMA's are ranked. I think 2011-2016 will be very good for the CMA.

Quote:
Toronto Pearson is now second only to John F Kennedy for international passenger traffic and often surpasses JFK for the number of destinations it flies to each year (this shifts seasonally).
•Toronto Pearson has been the fastest growing connections airport in North America over the last four years – in 2014, 11.7 million passengers used Pearson to connect. Connections help airports to grow and attract passengers, as well as more destinations.
http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...561796401.html

Last edited by fusion2; 05-16-2016 at 05:14 PM..

Old 05-16-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Exactly. What image comes to mind when you think Toronto? What is Toronto's prime attraction or calling card?

This is part of the reason it isn't quite as well known as one would think. It feels like a big, prosperous Western city, but doesn't have much that makes it unique.
Here's one of em

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-TLmNAerYE

http://www.great-towers.com/towers/cn-tower/

Old 05-16-2016, 05:25 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It hasn't always been known on the west coast of the US. Seattle and Portland, yes. Vancouver and them, especially Seattle, are close enough to be familiar.

I remember travelling to L.A. as a teenager in the 1970's to visit family. Some knew it, most did not.
I got responses like this.

" Vancouver? In Canada? Canada. That's the country just above Minnesota, isn't it? "

TRUE STORY LOL

Vancouver only really became more prominent during Expo '86 when I believe, about a million Californians came of the 22 million people that visited.

I worked an information line and handled questions by people planning to come up to the fair. Even those that had planned to come still really didn't know Vancouver in the sense of even understanding it was a city. I would get questions about how many hotels are there in Vancouver? Is there a bank? and on and on.

Times have changed.

Yes, Vancouver WA is actually a suburb of Portland, just across the river. It is of course known here in Vancouver, B.C.
Well, I've lived in California my whole life so we'll just agree to disagree on this.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Well, I've lived in California my whole life so we'll just agree to disagree on this.
I don't think it's a matter of agreeing and disagreeing. Your experiences have a lot to do with the people you grew up with. It also depends on how old you are.

I'm not sure how much Vancouver came up in your conversations to know if people knew it, but it comes up in EVERY trip I've taken to California, which is a lot since 1964.

I no longer have to explain ( well to most ) where Vancouver is when I visit California. That truly was NOT my experience pre EXPO '86

Old 05-16-2016, 05:43 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
I don't think it's a matter of agreeing and disagreeing. Your experiences have a lot to do with the people you grew up with. It also depends on how old you are.

I'm not sure how much Vancouver came up in your conversations to know if people knew it, but it comes up in EVERY trip I've taken to California, which is a lot since 1964.

I no longer have to explain ( well to most ) where Vancouver is when I visit California. That truly was NOT my experience pre EXPO '86
In your defense, you did say you were in LA and people in Socal tend to be quite insular.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I never said it was well known. I said it was the city mentioned, when I mentioned Canada.
Well known is so damned subjective... People would be surprised how many people around the world - many of whom are struggling to feed themselves or their families have never heard of or even had access ie the internet, Television or even books to know about countless places that we think are universally 'well known'.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
In your defense, you did say you were in LA and people in Socal tend to be quite insular.
Also my experience of how Vancouver would be brought up in conversation would be much different than yours.

In a shops, restaurants, almost any interaction where someone simply asks " where are you from ".

Where yours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World