Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 10:35 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Lappeenranta, Finland:

Hydrogen

What is the green looking sauce at the bottom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 11:50 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Boudins! ,

You should explain to the folks what is inside a CA burrito: french fries, grilled steak, salsa, sour cream, guacamole.

There's also California style sushi, made with avocado, jalapeños and all kinds of other CA influences.
Most people don't really know that San Diego is to Mexican Food what New York is to Pizza. You and I know that the Carne Asada is seasoned a certain way that it isn't elsewhere, even in LA. In most places, burritos are filled with heaps of rice and beans so there is less room for the meat.

California style sushi originated in LA.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:03 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
What is the green looking sauce at the bottom?
Pickled cucumber with spices and mustard.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:08 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
What cities do you know that have dishes that are unique and are hard to find anywhere else?

New York - Cheesecake, pizza, lamb over rice, pastrami on rye

Boston - Clam chowder, chocolate dipped cannoli

Arequipa - Stuffed rocoto, potato cake, ocopa, cheese cauche

Lima - Chaufa rice, Lima's sigh, chicken in aji sauce, causa salad, spinach pie
Pizza!?? lol

Old 05-15-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Pickled cucumber with spices and mustard.
Wow, that sounds amazing. I love pickled stuff.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Most people don't really know that San Diego is to Mexican Food what New York is to Pizza. You and I know that the Carne Asada is seasoned a certain way that it isn't elsewhere, even in LA. In most places, burritos are filled with heaps of rice and beans so there is less room for the meat.

California style sushi originated in LA.
But LA kids think they have the best Mexican food.

My cousins drove me 45 minutes to King Taco in LA, they kept ranting and raving about how amazing the tacos were. When I tried the carne asada ones I was not impressed at all!

San Diego has more of a northern Mexican influence in how they prepare the meat, more ranch Sonora style that is used in Tijuana. I think that is why the meat tastes better.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:05 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
New York - Cheesecake, pizza, lamb over rice, pastrami on rye
I like New York Cheesecake.

New York Bagels are also famous, as is eggs benedict which was first made at the Waldorf Hotel in NYC as was the Waldorf salad.

London also had a Jewish influence in relation to Bagels and Salt Beef Sandwich Bars etc.

Top 10: London's Best Salt Beef Sandwiches | About Time Magazine

Salt Beef sandwiches, bagels & falafel wraps in London's Borough Market, Broadway Market and Spitalfields Market in London

Hail to the beef sandwich - Telegraph

Tom Parker Bowles: A beef sandwich that's definitely worth its salt | Daily Mail Online

Kedgeree is also a British Dish and was introduced to Victorian Britain as a Breakfast Dish deriving from India, the British took a number of food and spices from India, and even British condiments such as Chutney and piccalilli derive from India.

The Origins of Kedgeree | RED BOOK RECIPES

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-15-2016 at 11:01 AM..

Old 05-15-2016, 10:15 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Why lamb over rice for NYC? That's a typical Central Asian or Afghan dish. Afghan communities all over the US serve that, and it's just as authentic as in NY, wherever they serve it. I've never heard of that as a NYC thing. Indian restaurants are great with that, too. And pizza? NYC pizza is "authentic"? Maybe if you get it in an Italian restaurant, but otherwise, no pizza in the US is "authentic", according to Italians. And cheesecake? I don't understand these choices.

But baked beans & Boston, that I get. New Orleans and gumbo, definitely. Seattle--salmon?

Old 05-15-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
But LA kids think they have the best Mexican food.

My cousins drove me 45 minutes to King Taco in LA, they kept ranting and raving about how amazing the tacos were. When I tried the carne asada ones I was not impressed at all!

San Diego has more of a northern Mexican influence in how they prepare the meat, more ranch Sonora style that is used in Tijuana. I think that is why the meat tastes better.
I had a better, almost San Diego style burrito off a food truck in Gary, Indiana than I've ever had in LA LOL.

Then there's the San Francisco style burrito that the restaurant Chipotle is mottled after. The real ones in the Bay Area are fine if you're hungry enough to eat to a walrus because that's about how big they are. Again, what ruins them for me is that the fill them with so much rice and beans. I grew up on Mexican in the Bay Area so you'd think I'd like it better but I don't.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why lamb over rice for NYC? That's a typical Central Asian or Afghan dish. Afghan communities all over the US serve that, and it's just as authentic as in NY, wherever they serve it. I've never heard of that as a NYC thing. Indian restaurants are great with that, too. And pizza? NYC pizza is "authentic"? Maybe if you get it in an Italian restaurant, but otherwise, no pizza in the US is "authentic", according to Italians. And cheesecake? I don't understand these choices.

But baked beans & Boston, that I get. New Orleans and gumbo, definitely. Seattle--salmon?
Yes, I agree. Although Gumbo is made by Black families throughout the US, New Orleans is where it's true home is. Also, you know from experience as well that no place has salmon the same quality as Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World