Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2016, 11:42 AM

19 posts, read 18,084 times

Advertisements

I remember speaking to an American with Italian heritage PROUDLY yapping about how purely Italian he was.

I made him watch a documentary about ancient Rome and how Rome conquered all of north Africa, Minor Asia, almost all of Europe, even parts of the middle east and how all these cultures would come to Rome, the great imperial capital!!! The big metropolis of the time where people went to trade, work, interact, live.

There were even subsaharan Africans (what Americans know as black people) in Rome back in those days!!!

Add to that the invasions of Huns who were Mongols and had settled in modern Hungary and constantly invaded the city from there pillaging, raping and so on!

Imagine all that mixing going on for centuries in Italy!!!

Afterwards he kinda look at me odd, I guess he realized he looked like an idiot!

A lot of people seem to be under the impression that multiculturalism is a 21st century thing!!! In reality multiculturalism has existed forever.... Ancient cities like Cairo, Constantinople, Rome, Athens, Babylon, you name were all what New york is today. Megalopolis filled with all sorts of people living in places that thrived on exchange, trade, etc. Eventually NYC will also decline and a new city will take its place to become the new world epicenter and with it millions of people from everywhere will go there as well!

In subsaharan Africa they didn't have as many cities but that it's because "black" Africa was more abundant in readily available resources.... it supported a more nomadic lifestyle, so subsaharan Africans rather moved around and hunted and gathered.

The middle east and Europe however faced a harsher climate and more difficult environments so they had to settle on the coast, or by rivers and stay there and rely on agriculture (how cities came to exist)!
(Unlike black Africa with its large amounts of fresh water, abundant wildlife, edible fruits etc. which allowed for people to move around and not really stick to one place)

Last edited by irene-69; 06-09-2016 at 11:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 12:19 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,529,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
You sound so much like me it's frightening.

Of course no one will bring up Ali's change. That would go against the picture they're trying to paint. Same thing with Malcolm X. Many Blacks were radicalized in the 60's but came back to their senses in the 70's although of course the Nation Of Islam still exist. People with an ax to grind with minorities ALWAYS tell only half the story.
It is kind of scary, but in a good way.

Ali changed. Malcolm X changed. Robert Byrd, former Klan member, he changed. However, there are people who will point out half of the story to suit their needs. I believe some people will use Ali's clip from 1971 as a way of saying "see, a Black man espouses our views". It's a backdoor way of wagging one's finger at Blacks. I don't fall for it.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:21 PM

977 posts, read 1,010,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irene-69 View Post
I remember speaking to an American with Italian heritage PROUDLY yapping about how purely Italian he was.

I made him watch a documentary about ancient Rome and how Rome conquered all of north Africa, Minor Asia, almost all of Europe, even parts of the middle east and how all these cultures would come to Rome, the great imperial capital!!! The big metropolis of the time where people went to trade, work, interact, live.

There were even subsaharan Africans (what Americans know as black people) in Rome back in those days!!!

Add to that the invasions of Huns who were Mongols and had settled in modern Hungary and constantly invaded the city from there pillaging, raping and so on!

Afterwards he kinda look at me odd, I guess he realized he looked like an idiot!

A lot of people seem to be under the impression that multiculturalism is a 21st century thing!!! In reality multiculturalism has existed forever.... Ancient cities like Cairo, Constantinople, Rome, Athens, Babylon, you name were all what New york is today. Megalopolis filled with all sorts of people living in places that thrived on exchange, trade, etc. Eventually NYC will also decline and a new city will take its place to become the new world epicenter and with it millions of people from everywhere will go there as well!

In subsaharan Africa they didn't have as many cities but that it's because "black" Africa was more abundant in readily available resources.... it supported a more nomadic lifestyle, so subsaharan Africans rather moved around and hunted and gathered.

The middle east and Europe however faced a harsher climate and more difficult environments so they had to settle on the coast, or by rivers and stay there and rely on agriculture (how cities came to exist)!
(Unlike black Africa with its large amounts of fresh water, abundant wildlife, edible fruits etc. which allowed for people to move around and not really stick to one place)

This is really not true. I'm half Italian I got a DNA test. The only mixing me or any other southern Italians included have Caucasian or middle eastern heritage. There's a 'race' called the mediteranian race.

Also I think that other guy nyc or whatever is not trying to control you, I think he just want to preserve his culture which you people are part of. I do not see anything wrong with him wanting to preserve his "people". You guys just don't really care about that. He isn't trying to control you. I think you guys see the point we make and I see the points you guys make. I think it just comes down to that you guys prefer to think more positively, and thing oh no everyone is great, everyone will get along, all cultures can mesh, and you guys like that narrative we are all one. That may or may not be true. Just from my experiences I have noticed something different. I'm surprised this conversation has been done so well. And are you guys sure Mr. Ali changed? Is there a video to prove it?

I think your video could be some propaganda, me and many other Italians took this test, southern Italians and no body every got black or, Asian. I'm sorta history freak, if anything it seems to be when countries are too big they fall apart, too many different people, too hard to keep United. Even the USSR had governments/states for different ethnicities.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:29 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,454,965 times
Great empires eliminated any racial or ethnic purity, from Egypt to Rome to the Ottomans to the Vikings and the British. They moved millions of slaves around and also gave their native people retirement land in conquered territories. We're just now seeing how diverse the gene pool became. We now know most people in southern Italy have Arab / North African and Sub Saharan African DNA. The Muslim slave trade brought millions of Europeans into N Africa and the Middle East. In America nearly all Blacks have some European ancestry, a lot from masters assaulting slave women and some from mutual relationships. For decades in Colonial Virginia Blacks were treated the same as White indentured servants and mixed relationships were common, many White Americans unknowingly have African ancestry from this time, including Obama's White mother.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:30 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,370,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irene-69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Great empires eliminated any racial or ethnic purity, from Egypt to Rome to the Ottomans to the Vikings and the British. They moved millions of slaves around and also gave their native people retirement land in conquered territories. We're just now seeing how diverse the gene pool became. We now know most people in southern Italy have Arab / North African and Sub Saharan African DNA. The Muslim slave trade brought millions of Europeans into N Africa and the Middle East. In America nearly all Blacks have some European ancestry, a lot from masters assaulting slave women and some from mutual relationships. For decades in Colonial Virginia Blacks were treated the same as White indentured servants and mixed relationships were common, many White Americans unknowingly have African ancestry from this time, including Obama's White mother.
Posts like these are going to make some very uneasy. Keep 'em comin'

Old 06-09-2016, 06:18 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,529,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
To be perfectly honest, I've never given much mind to "racial purity". I am mostly Black. Most of my ancestry is Africa. I also have some Irish, French, Creole, and Choctaw ancestry. I don't worry about "purity".

Old 06-09-2016, 06:28 PM

977 posts, read 1,010,275 times
Why did you guys ignore what I just said? I had a DNA test and me I had nearly all of my extended family and friends do it. Nobody was surprised. All my family is a diverse group of whites and my friends are all pretty diverse too. There was no shockers no body that wasn't black or Asian didn't have any black or Asian DNA. No Asians had black or white DNA, none of my black friends had any white DNA, well one did but she already knew she was mixed. I think what you have been told is probably by liberal media AKA propaganda. From what I have seen that just isn't true.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:41 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,362,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
Why did you guys ignore what I just said? I had a DNA test and me I had nearly all of my extended family and friends do it. Nobody was surprised. All my family is a diverse group of whites and my friends are all pretty diverse too. There was no shockers no body that wasn't black or Asian didn't have any black or Asian DNA. No Asians had black or white DNA, none of my black friends had any white DNA, well one did but she already knew she was mixed. I think what you have been told is probably by liberal media AKA propaganda. From what I have seen that just isn't true.
DNA ethnicity tests using today's technology can't rule out any ethnicity in your background. Can You Tell Your Ethnic Identity From Your DNA? : 13.7: Cosmos And Culture : NPR

Old 06-09-2016, 07:41 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,370,812 times
Quote:
Because we don't know if you're just making that up.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:49 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,788,825 times
Quote:
When you make comments like these, it just really discredits your point. Everything is propaganda.
Conservative media is propaganda too. TV is propaganda. TV shows are propaganda.

There are just people with different life experiences, which creates different perspectives. Sometimes you are even an outsider in your own 'racial' group. That's just reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World