U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 09:11 AM

22,779 posts, read 13,337,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Canada, USA, Belgium, Denmark, Australia, New Zealand
I'm not asking about your countries friends or aquaintances, but if you have a special and sometimes unconditional relation to another country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 09:15 AM
BMI

3,984 posts, read 2,125,732 times
Canada-USA
Best buddies, except when USA starts to brag too much

Australia-New Zealand
Best friends, except when Australia starts to brag too much

Old 05-23-2016, 09:16 AM

9,822 posts, read 4,959,637 times
Probably Canada would come the closest. I live close to Canada, worked for an extended period for a Canadian based company and have many Canadian friends..I realize many Canadians get angry at the USA because we basically pretty much ignore them and consider them a kind of northern state....my wife sometimes forgets to bring her passport when we go there ('I forget it's a different country').

Old 05-23-2016, 09:18 AM
AFP

4,441 posts, read 2,221,108 times
USA's closest ally is the UK then Canada.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:36 AM

22,779 posts, read 13,337,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Yes, most certainly. One of the most evident examples. I was initially thinking Europe only and post this thread on that subforum, but then I realised that a global view would be much more interesting.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:51 AM

1,487 posts, read 609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Though the U.S. government tends to accord the UK shabby treatment-Obama's remark about Brexit being an example.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:29 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,351,782 times
There's none really. Taiwan is an international orphan. It's like the classmate everyone once had who did nothing wrong yet no one would talk to him/her.

But if really have to choose one it's probably Japan, mostly due to the colonisation and lots of cultural similarities, though it's a bit of a stretch to say that as it's kind of an imbalanced relationship in the sense that Taiwanese people like Japan more than Japanese people like Taiwan.

Then Hong Kong, also due to lots of cultural similarities and the fact that we have what they want (democracy), at least from what I've heard, though it's a very recent development, basically started since HK's situation went down the drain because of China. HKers were really cocky and unfriendly before that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
USA here. I don't think anyone really likes us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Italy already fails at being friend with itself, let alone with foreign countries.
I think both Italy and the US have quite a lot of friends.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:32 AM

15,665 posts, read 18,694,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
USA here. I don't think anyone really likes us.
The UK always seem to have out backs. For the US, the UK seems to be the country we can rely on most. Next would be Canada and Australia.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:47 AM
TKO

1,355 posts, read 2,317,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Though the U.S. government tends to accord the UK shabby treatment-Obama's remark about Brexit being an example.
This too shall pass. The UK always has our back and I hope they know we have theirs.

One administration can't stop that. I suspect the reason Obama has an issue with Britain, if he has one, was his Kenyan roots and the whole Mau Mau thing.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:47 AM

360 posts, read 141,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Probably Canada would come the closest. I live close to Canada, worked for an extended period for a Canadian based company and have many Canadian friends..I realize many Canadians get angry at the USA because we basically pretty much ignore them and consider them a kind of northern state....my wife sometimes forgets to bring her passport when we go there ('I forget it's a different country').
Is really necessary passport between Americans and Canadians? I think it would be like South America or Europe. For example Brazilians may pass within borders with Argentina, Uruguay, Chile and others only with the national identification card.

Nowadays (since 80’s years) Brazil and Argentina are best friends although big rivalry in sports specially in soccer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World