U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2016, 02:37 PM

15,686 posts, read 18,814,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
But that was my intention.

I didn't ask for the country one personally likes the most, but that if your country have a partner, in the best case when death do us apart.
Ok, then I did understand. Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Ok now I'm confused LOL

Isn't that getting back to the political? NATO and other alliances?

Hmmm. Don't a lot of our countries help each other out in a crisis?
See, this is what I'm thinking. So it would be political. I think...

Old 05-23-2016, 03:03 PM

23,062 posts, read 13,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Ok now I'm confused LOL

Isn't that getting back to the political? NATO and other alliances?

Hmmm. Don't a lot of our countries help each other out in a crisis?
No no. This is not about political alliances. If Britain would be attacked, the NATO countries would assist in any way possible. Albania would probably send one officer and that's it.
When the November terrorist attacks happened in Paris, France did not use the Article 5 of NATO, but asked for assistance by the EU solidarity clause naming some countries, including Finland. As France conveniently forget sometimes is that we were on the other side of the table at the WWII trials, our laws prevents our military engaging in conflicts outside our borders. Spurred by France's request, the changes in laws were put forward this spring. In theory it means: bomb the sh*t out of ISIS. Before we sent UN peace-keepers to Mali so that France could withdraw and redeploy its troops.

That is solidarity, not a BFF relationship.

The relationship between Sweden and Finland is that we stayed neutral (though aligned to the West) during the Cold War, Sweden gave tremendeous aid to us both in WWI and WWII, Sweden kept and paid 1/3 of its air force in reserve for us, and secretly trained our pilots. Sweden and Finland also have a gentleman's agreement that we join NATO together, or neither one joins.

That is BFF, not solidarity.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:12 PM

1,576 posts, read 639,925 times
Formal treaties/alliances?

In the case of military alliances, these are generally based on fear of a common enemy. NATO, in fact, has had two members-Greece and Turkey-that have been hostile to each other.

Trade? There may be no affinity between two trade partners. Trade may simply mean that one country buys raw materials from another.

In general, these sorts of relationships tend to expire as circumstances change, because they were based on convenience.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 05-23-2016 at 03:26 PM..

Old 05-23-2016, 03:20 PM

1,576 posts, read 639,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Most people around the world hate USA external politic, not the American people or American things.

Latin Americans for example have yet in our memories the brutal military dictatorship that governed us introduced and supported by USA.
I have wondered how people in other countries would react...if the United States should enter an isolationist phase.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:30 PM

2,755 posts, read 1,129,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Most people around the world hate USA external politic, not the American people or American things.

Latin Americans for example have yet in our memories the brutal military dictatorship that governed us introduced and supported by USA.
I would agree but it is probably a more prevalent attitude amongst the older (boomer) generation. Power wielded without thought or principles always leads to oppression. I think the same attitude is common in many Middle East countries regarding US influence but recognizes it is a Damned if you do and Damned if you don't situation. Venezuela, Argentina, Nicarauga, Boliva, maybe even Brasil have all been left alone for many years with leftist governments and almost all have failed to bring any meaningful improvements to the average citizen.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No no. This is not about political alliances. If Britain would be attacked, the NATO countries would assist in any way possible. Albania would probably send one officer and that's it.
When the November terrorist attacks happened in Paris, France did not use the Article 5 of NATO, but asked for assistance by the EU solidarity clause naming some countries, including Finland. As France conveniently forget sometimes is that we were on the other side of the table at the WWII trials, our laws prevents our military engaging in conflicts outside our borders. Spurred by France's request, the changes in laws were put forward this spring. In theory it means: bomb the sh*t out of ISIS. Before we sent UN peace-keepers to Mali so that France could withdraw and redeploy its troops.

That is solidarity, not a BFF relationship.

The relationship between Sweden and Finland is that we stayed neutral (though aligned to the West) during the Cold War, Sweden gave tremendeous aid to us both in WWI and WWII, Sweden kept and paid 1/3 of its air force in reserve for us, and secretly trained our pilots. Sweden and Finland also have a gentleman's agreement that we join NATO together, or neither one joins.

That is BFF, not solidarity.
I think by this definition, again, I would say the US, UK and Canada are a lot like this. Prince William did his fighter pilot training in the US. The US owns military bases in the UK. It's actual US government property. Then there's NORAD which is a close military agreement between the US and Canada.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:48 PM

13,767 posts, read 6,717,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I think by this definition, again, I would say the US, UK and Canada are a lot like this. Prince William did his fighter pilot training in the US. The US owns military bases in the UK. It's actual US government property. Then there's NORAD which is a close military agreement between the US and Canada.
While I agree with your basic statement, it is not true that there are any US bases in the UK that are "US government property." All of those locations are, indeed, sovereign territory of the United Kingdom and have always been. US military forces are tenants on those bases, guests of the RAF.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 05-23-2016 at 04:04 PM..

Old 05-23-2016, 03:58 PM

1,707 posts, read 949,598 times
For Estonia, my subjective feeling says Latvia, Lithuania for sure and also Poland.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:04 PM

4,538 posts, read 1,821,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post

I think both Italy and the US have quite a lot of friends.
They probably do. I'm not Italian though, so not sure what people have in mind, I guess it depends on where you ask in Italy, but in a way it is a very insular country. People rarely think of "this country is close to us", more like "this country is great, while we downright suck, but we can't leave because we're too tied to our village / pasta / family / etc"

As for France, I could answer the UK being both very close and very alien (we have a relationship that could be described as "it's complicated"), Germany (our boring brother), Italy (the funny messy brother) and probably the USA too, since both countries are convinced they invented the wheel in every possible field and do not understand why the rest of the world does not follow their footsteps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World