Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 01:13 PM

28,623 posts, read 18,677,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
USA here. I don't think anyone really likes us.
It's the "Anglosphere."

You might be surprised at how deeply involved Canada, the UK, Australia, and New Zealand are with US activities, especially on the national security fronts. Or--if you have looked at who has most often and consistently marched into various military situations alongside the US--you might not be surprised. They're not just in bed with the US, they often share our toothbrush.

When I was active duty in the military and had young troops working for me, my definition of "friend" was "If my troops can get into a bar fight in that country and I get called by the local police instead of someone at the US Consulate, they're friends." In other words, all those official issues are well worked out down to the lowest levels and we're fully comfortable dealing with each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 01:17 PM

991 posts, read 871,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
I didn't suggest it wasn't a passport also, after all I referred to it as a passport card.

We don't have a national ID card other than that though. Social Security cards don't have your picture on them - those are what we get when we're born. Seeing as the states, who issue driver's licenses, don't all follow the same criteria for issuance and some haven't met the federal standard re the Real ID Act (and considering the sometimes draconian security crackdowns post 9/11), the passport card serves the purpose now.

I've used it for ID within the states to buy alcohol and it's worked just fine. It is true that you have to pay and go out of your way to get one.

Added for the OP - Mine would be Mexico. In the 1950's my grandfather was a commie (the not getting paid enough and talking over schnapps kind not the take over the world kind) and when the land of the free started cracking down on commies his family had to leave the US. Mexico took us in no questions and they led a wonderful life there. I never lived there, though I've travelled there quite a bit, but there will be a place in my heart for Mexico and Mexicans, always.
Interest how it works in the States thank you all

Old 05-23-2016, 01:21 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,322,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I thought you had it right the first time. What are your reasons for choosing Mexico?

Now I'm confused.
Because it's where I tend to go personally.

I had it right if we were talking about the BFF of the USA. The way the thread titled is worded is what led to misunderstanding.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:21 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,986,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Do you find this surprising?
No. What I found surprising was that there was mention of BFF relationships between countries with quite different cultures.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:24 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,322,733 times
Quote:
Gentoo is quite the master on irony sometimes. Challenges me too once in a while.
I misunderstood because the thread titles says "your country's BFF". The apostrophe 'S' makes the word country possessive which would imply the BFF of the country. A better way of wording that would have been "your BFF country".

Old 05-23-2016, 01:27 PM

991 posts, read 871,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
USA here. I don't think anyone really likes us.
Most people around the world hate USA external politic, not the American people or American things.

Latin Americans for example have yet in our memories the brutal military dictatorship that governed us introduced and supported by USA.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:34 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,459,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
No. What I found surprising was that there was mention of BFF relationships between countries with quite different cultures.
Well in my case the US is similar but also dissimilar enough to know I'm not home. I have fond childhood memories of family and trips as well as an adult.

The Netherlands and Canada have a personally close relationship, especially since the 2nd world war. Their last Queen was born here and many connections exist today. My 1st trip to The Netherlands in the 1980's confirmed this relationship to me personally. How could you not like back a country and people that like you?

France, my family came from France to what is now Canada albeit in the 1600's and the recent family from Quebec so I've always had a connection of some sort. When I first visited I felt very comfortable and fell in love with it. When I let my mind wander and think of myself in my 20's, it's usually wishing I was back in the south of France, sipping a cool drink, laughing with my new found friends.

England. Well, you can't live in Canada, and especially in British Columbia without feeling some sort of connection. I'm speaking personally, since today this connection amongst the youth may be less.
Something about first impressions make their mark. Again, it was my first trip to England that made me feel I was with " family ". LOL

Mexico...this is my newer lover. I only started to go in 2000 and have only been four times and only to Puerto Vallarta, although i have a friend in Guadalajara.
Perhaps because Mexicans and Canadians sandwich the US that we have this view of the US that sometimes overlaps and we connect on that level?

Old 05-23-2016, 01:49 PM

5,214 posts, read 3,992,524 times
In the case with Bulgaria I can't think of such case. It's rather which one is the least bad: Turkey, Romania, Serbia, Russia, Macedonia, Greece. I'm trying to think it's either Greece or Macedonia given the current state of politics though, but 100% not according to history.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:11 PM

24,144 posts, read 24,729,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I misunderstood because the thread titles says "your country's BFF". The apostrophe 'S' makes the word country possessive which would imply the BFF of the country. A better way of wording that would have been "your BFF country".
But that was my intention.

I didn't ask for the country one personally likes the most, but that if your country have a partner, in the best case when death do us apart.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:22 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,459,093 times
Quote:
But that was my intention.

I didn't ask for the country one personally likes the most, but that if your country have a partner, in the best case when death do us apart.
Ok now I'm confused LOL

Isn't that getting back to the political? NATO and other alliances?

Hmmm. Don't a lot of our countries help each other out in a crisis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World