Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2016, 01:13 AM

977 posts, read 1,006,720 times

Advertisements

Okay me being an American I think the USA and Canada have a great bond. I feel like we're sorta the same? Not sure if that's the right phrase, but I feel we are very similar and will always follow eachother/ close family member, maybe good brothers, or something like that. I feel like if you mess with one of us you will get both of us! Just saying this is just how I as an American FEEL, this is not backed up with facts so someone feel free to fact check me.

I think America is friends with Mexico just because it is in Americas best interested to be their friend.

I feel the UK is sorta like the mother or father but I don't feel a strong bond, I know many will disagree. Maybe economically and politically but I'm not sure the regular American citizen feels the bond.

I feel that America is sorta like Israles big brother. But I think the big brother is getting tired of always supporting Israel. I think there seems to be a lot of anti Israel support here in the states, I'm not Jewish but I support Israel.

I feel like America thinks of Austalia as the cool cousin. I feel like New Zealand could be the step cousin for some reason? Or maybe Australia's step brother lol. I'm not sure why I feel this way? What do you guys think about this one?

And lastly I feel like there is sorta a bond between America, England, Germany, France, Italy, Canda, and possibly Australia as the countries that kinda "keep the world running" or "run the world".

Do you guys agree with me?

Who is China's, Russian's, India's, and South Africa's BFF?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 02:17 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,984,307 times
I don't happen to know any Mexicans, so I sought information online.

One Mexican commented in his blog that Mexicans have a love/hate relationship with the United States. So I used "love/hate" to search online, and came across similar comments, that Mexico has an ambivalent, love/hate thing towards the United States.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 05-26-2016 at 02:59 AM..

Old 05-26-2016, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
Okay me being an American I think the USA and Canada have a great bond. I feel like we're sorta the same? Not sure if that's the right phrase, but I feel we are very similar and will always follow eachother/ close family member, maybe good brothers, or something like that. I feel like if you mess with one of us you will get both of us! Just saying this is just how I as an American FEEL, this is not backed up with facts so someone feel free to fact check me.
You can't really fact check a feeling. Its subjective-but subjective feelings are related to your worldly relationships.

Actually, Mexico seems fairly distant to me-and not just because I live in Seattle.

The U.S. and Mexico have dissimilar roots. Different histories.

No particular affinity between the two countries.

I have been having trouble establishing a link. Type "www.iorworld.com, Traditional Mexican worldview"

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 05-26-2016 at 03:03 AM..

Old 05-30-2016, 09:17 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,386,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Is really necessary passport between Americans and Canadians? I think it would be like South America or Europe. For example Brazilians may pass within borders with Argentina, Uruguay, Chile and others only with the national identification card.

Nowadays (since 80’s years) Brazil and Argentina are best friends although big rivalry in sports specially in soccer.
There are states and provinces that issue enhanced drivers licenses which is an acceptable form of ID to travel between the US and Canada.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:10 PM

4,670 posts, read 5,070,987 times
I'd say the U.S. and Canada are BFFs...

Old 05-30-2016, 11:08 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,759,828 times
Not sure why everyone is saying US and Canada. I think it's the United States and France. France after all, was there for us before we were "really" a country back during our Revolution. They gave us one of our iconic features as well, the Statue of Liberty, and unless someone wants to inform me of something we have never had any real big problems with France. Therefore, the US-France relationship is the longest (first) and best one we have ever had. That trumps the US-Canada one by ten-fold, and some have mentioned the US-UK one well we have been in a war with Great Britain at one point so...

Old 05-31-2016, 02:47 AM

4,095 posts, read 3,688,213 times
On a civilian level I would say the UK feels closest to Ireland, Australia and New Zealand, followed by Jamaica, Canada and India.

On a political level the USA for sure.

Colombia's closest ally is the USA, definitely the South American country with the most favourable outlook towards the US.

However, on a civilian level it will in no doubt be Mexico. Venezuela, Panama and Ecuador are the rebellious younger siblings.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:45 PM

400 posts, read 420,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
I don't happen to know any Mexicans, so I sought information online.

One Mexican commented in his blog that Mexicans have a love/hate relationship with the United States. So I used "love/hate" to search online, and came across similar comments, that Mexico has an ambivalent, love/hate thing towards the United States.
English Canada's BFF is the US but there's also a fair amount of ambivalence towards them too. Or maybe a wariness would be more accurate. The US pulls a lot of strings behind the scenes here in politics, business and culture and that unsettles a lot of people here. I'd say that in english canada there is still a residual (unrequited) affinity for the UK, say 80/20 split US/UK. In Quebec you see quite a lot of references in politics and culture to Paris and France generally while there's an affinity and even affection for the US (meanwhile they find english canada insufferable ..lol) I'd say their split BFF would be 40/60 french speaking world in Europe/ US.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:06 PM

16,583 posts, read 27,302,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Not sure why everyone is saying US and Canada. I think it's the United States and France. France after all, was there for us before we were "really" a country back during our Revolution. They gave us one of our iconic features as well, the Statue of Liberty, and unless someone wants to inform me of something we have never had any real big problems with France. Therefore, the US-France relationship is the longest (first) and best one we have ever had. That trumps the US-Canada one by ten-fold, and some have mentioned the US-UK one well we have been in a war with Great Britain at one point so...
Yes, the US and France have historically had a great relationship. However, it hasn't remained that way. Not saying the US and France aren't still close but I think the UK has surpassed them and within Europe, I would say even Germany is now second to the UK ahead of France.

However, no other country is as close to the US militarily, culturally and politically like Canada.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:21 PM

In the 21st century, the USA is closer to the Anglosphere countries than to any continental European country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World