U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 05:59 AM

23,062 posts, read 13,628,839 times

Advertisements

Now with the rise of neo-nationalism and populism, national borders seem to be more evident and physical despite Schengen in Europe. But most countries have some kind of BFF with whom they might rely on whether in good or bad. How is it across the globe?

Sweden-Finland, UK-Ireland, Argentina-Uruguay and Poland-Hungary are classical examples of a BFF relationship, Russia-Belarus is not, as it's merely a political 'forced marriage'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 07:15 AM

559 posts, read 412,066 times
Argentina-Uruguay relation, despite being cordial, has its ups and downs. I would not put it as an example of BFF's relationship.

During the 2000's was quite controversial, with Uruguayan President saying that all Argentines were a bunch of thieves, Argentines occupying Uruguayan consulates or ambassadors threatening to break diplomatic relations. Even the Uruguayan President went to the United States to ask Bush Jr. support in case of Argentina military aggression.
But relations have greatly improved since 2010 with Mujica's government.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:16 AM

570 posts, read 239,569 times
The ancient China was a hermit kingdom. Sometimes, the foreign peoples came visiting. So I had no ideas where to put them. Some would wish becomming associated states with China. The most visible example was Korea. There were some hundred years relationship. The army had been sent in for the critical times. But the Koreans had to decide their own futures. China was a rich kingdom. It had no needs in spending for conquests.

Another example was a Malay state pleading for the weapon transfers to them. However, the ruler would not. Maybe it counted as letting a friend down. There was an issued letter to another Malay state to help the enquring tribe though; and this occoured at ?the end of the Ming Dynasty Treasure Fleet era.

I don't know what the modern Chinese are heading todays. They probably get some.

Personally, friends is a new concept to me.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:21 AM

23,062 posts, read 13,628,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
Argentina-Uruguay relation, despite being cordial, has its ups and downs. I would not put it as an example of BFF's relationship.

During the 2000's was quite controversial, with Uruguayan President saying that all Argentines were a bunch of thieves, Argentines occupying Uruguayan consulates or ambassadors threatening to break diplomatic relations. Even the Uruguayan President went to the United States to ask Bush Jr. support in case of Argentina military aggression.
But relations have greatly improved since 2010 with Mujica's government.
Ok, thanks for correcting me. My knowledge of South American politics is quite lacking, I thought the relations were always much better.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:24 AM

3,458 posts, read 983,328 times
The Anglosphere in terms of the UK, although we still have close ties to India.

Anglosphere -Wiki

In terms of Europe, it's always been a love/hate relationship with the French, however we do have a good relationship with the Dutch and Scandinavian Countries, who have also been very cautious with regards to the EU.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:29 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,278,661 times
Chile, Japan, France, Angola and Germany are our best friends. Brazil historically had excellent relations with these countries (except with Germany during WW2). Portugal is a specific case because they colonised us, though since the independence both countries have good relations (and portugueses receive some rights in Brazil not granted to other foreigners).

Argentina is not our friend, it's our brother.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:52 AM

7,114 posts, read 4,391,035 times
USA here. I don't think anyone really likes us.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:48 AM

4,543 posts, read 1,824,329 times
Italy already fails at being friend with itself, let alone with foreign countries.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:57 AM

7,114 posts, read 4,391,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Italy already fails at being friend with itself, let alone with foreign countries.
Don't feel too bad about Italy. It's the same way in the US with the different regions and will only get worse. We have a north/south divide, but we have an east/west divide too.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:05 AM

9,961 posts, read 9,603,960 times
Canada, USA, Belgium, Denmark, Australia, New Zealand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World